Mic help

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Mic help

Postby Kumquaticus » 25 Jul 2011 19:09

Okay, I'm hoping that this is the correct forum for this, but anyway...
Cross-post from tumblr.
Alright, I know almost nothing about mics
But I do know that my current one really sucks, and I’m having a bit of trouble deciding between these two:

The Behringer C1U ($47.39 USD) - http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-C1U-Con ... 802&sr=8-1
And the Behringer XM8500 ($21.14 USD) - http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-XM8500- ... 980&sr=8-1

I would be able to afford either and both would work well with my setup, but I would obviously prefer to get the cheaper one, but if the C1U is worth the extra cash then I could quickly go in that direction. My biggest fear is that I would unbox the XM8500 super excited and realize that it isn’t all that I thought it would be.

I’m mainly going to be using whichever one for beatboxing and recording of my viola and violin, perhaps singing if I can actually get good at that. So audiophiles or people that have used one or both before, which one should I go for?
Life is good. Life is short. Have some fun and enjoy it while it lasts.

My bandcamp
My SoundCloud
My Tumblr
Kumquaticus

Re: Mic help

Postby DerpyGrooves » 26 Jul 2011 00:56

Although I'm personally unfamiliar with the two models in question, in the VAST majority of studio applications, you'd be happier with a condenser microphone. Honestly, I can reasonably say that you would not get a stunning sound from the dynamic mic, for sure, unless you're hooking it up to a guitar amp and doing some live work. Otherwise shove it.

IMHO just shop around for condenser microphones in general.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Mic help

Postby Versilaryan » 26 Jul 2011 11:05

Condenser mics are FAR better for studio work, as far as acoustic instruments are concerned -- dynamic mics are used more for live work and amplified stuff. The thing you have to know about them, though, is that they pick things up REALLY easily. If I turn the gain way up when I'm recording, I can hear my dogs walking around downstairs. xD So just be especially careful you're doing your recording in a quiet location.

Also don't forget to invest in a pop filter, /especially/ if you're going to do some beatboxing. You could always angle the mic differently and don't beatbox directly into the mic -- you'll lose a bit of sound, but that's better than ridiculous booms and overdriven buzzing.

Do what DerpyGrooves said. Shop around for some condenser microphones and see if you can't get a better one for a better deal than that. I don't know anything about that mic (even that company) in particular, but it never hurts to try!
Versilaryan

Return to Technique