Ask DerpyGrooves Anything

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Ask DerpyGrooves Anything

Postby DerpyGrooves » 18 Jul 2011 01:12

I might not be the best muso in MLR, but I think that the best way to learn music is by teaching it, so here I am!

Ask me anything about theory, instruments, technique, etc... And I will do my best to answer you in what I hope is not a flankbackwards derptarded way! Cheers, everybrony!
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Ask DerpyGrooves Anything

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 18 Jul 2011 21:17

When one plays a harmonica, do you always hear chords? I could never really tell
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby DerpyGrooves » 18 Jul 2011 23:56

Bagpipe Brony wrote:When one plays a harmonica, do you always hear chords? I could never really tell

I'm not sure this is exactly what your question is about, but it is possible to play just single notes on harmonica.

Here's a great example of blues harp being played w. mostly single notes. The player flares his lips out every now and then to grab chords as an expressive ornament. Let me know if that's what you were asking about, BB! :)
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 19 Jul 2011 13:27

Kinda yeah, you see I was writing something up for Applejack and I wanted to include a harmonica but I'm not sure what about them makes them so..."Cowboy-ish" ya dig? So I thought I 'd ask how to write music for them.
That's how I found out about fiddle slides and shuffle bowing and leaving open strings in certain licks. c:
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 19 Jul 2011 15:29

Well with Harmonicas I think a lot of it is about the scale you get it in
I'm not sure entirely which one is used in that blues track, but I don't think it's your standard major scale

You can probably buy one in the blues scale and that should definitely give you a more "Cow-boy"-ish sound
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 19 Jul 2011 16:28

Well, my song is in A major so far, so That would mean I'd have to get one in F# minor? O_o I don;t think those exist lol... Maybe I'll just change the key so I can make it realistic.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby DerpyGrooves » 19 Jul 2011 16:48

Derpy Hooves wrote:Well with Harmonicas I think a lot of it is about the scale you get it in
I'm not sure entirely which one is used in that blues track, but I don't think it's your standard major scale

You can probably buy one in the blues scale and that should definitely give you a more "Cow-boy"-ish sound

Actually, the vast majority of harmonica music is played on diatonic, "major" instruments. There's no such thing as a specifically blues scale harmonica.

Essentially the way it works is let's say you have an instrument in A. That harmonica will be able to happily play in A major ("straight harp"), or else you can play what's called "cross harp" and do a blues in E. Here's a video to this effect:

Bagpipe Brony wrote:Well, my song is in A major so far, so That would mean I'd have to get one in F# minor? O_o I don;t think those exist lol... Maybe I'll just change the key so I can make it realistic.

To play in A major, you'd want to get a harp in A. Otherwise, if you want to do a blues in A, you should invest in a harp in D and play cross-style.
DerpyGrooves

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 25 Aug 2011 16:06

I've been wondering for sometime, Is it "frowned upon" to use a pattern/preset that comes with a VST?
Image I love to talk, Chat me up on the Skypes , IRC, Or just send me a PM! (Yes you!)

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Postby DerpyGrooves » 25 Aug 2011 19:16

SwissArmyCheese wrote:I've been wondering for sometime, Is it "frowned upon" to use a pattern/preset that comes with a VST?

It sort of has a lot of the same connotations tracing has in the art community. Presets can be okay, but for the most part everypony wants to hear something new and fun.
DerpyGrooves

Postby SwissArmyCheese » 25 Aug 2011 19:25

Ok, thank you!

Sometimes it's hard to find a blank preset though.
Image I love to talk, Chat me up on the Skypes , IRC, Or just send me a PM! (Yes you!)

/r/MLPtunes
SwissArmyCheese

Postby Facade » 25 Aug 2011 19:33

SwissArmyCheese wrote:Ok, thank you!

i know how you feel *looks at z3ta+*
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Senator Myth » 25 Aug 2011 19:34

sdFGHSFGHJSFGK-sensei: will you ever perhaps release the chords/tabs for your acoustic songs? The lullaby song in particular, that one's definitely a big favorite of mine. :D
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby DerpyGrooves » 27 Aug 2011 02:08

Senator Myth wrote:Nishimoto-sensei: will you ever perhaps release the chords/tabs for your acoustic songs? The lullaby song in particular, that one's definitely a big favorite of mine. :D

I'm not sure of the exact chords I was using, but the harmonic structure was as follows:

Verse:
vi IV I V

Chorus:
IV V I IV

In C major that would be:
Am F C G
F G C F

Feel free to let me know if there are any other songs you'd like chords to!
DerpyGrooves

Postby Icky » 27 Aug 2011 17:03

So scootaloo walks down the road, what happens?
Icky

Postby DerpyGrooves » 27 Aug 2011 19:10

KeepOnRockin' wrote:So scootaloo walks down the road, what happens?

She gets home safely and goes to sleep in her snuggly wuggly bed!
DerpyGrooves

Postby Whitetail » 27 Aug 2011 19:37

How pretty is pretty pink saddle?
Whitetail

Postby Circuitfry » 27 Aug 2011 19:37

Posting in an epic thread.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Aussie » 27 Aug 2011 19:39

Circuitfry wrote:Posting in an epic thread.

GREAT QUESTION.
Aussie

Postby Senator Myth » 27 Aug 2011 20:46

Aussie wrote:GREAT QUESTION.

You're a hypocrite.
Senator Myth wrote:You're a hypocrite

I'm a hypocrite.

(And so on, recursively)
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby DerpyGrooves » 28 Aug 2011 03:38

Derpy Hooves wrote:How pretty is pretty pink saddle?

SO PRETTY

AND MY PRETTY HORN ITS SO PRETTY
DerpyGrooves

Postby Icky » 28 Aug 2011 09:21

If pinkie found a way to clone herself, what would happen?
Icky

Postby DerpyGrooves » 28 Aug 2011 17:11

KeepOnRockin' wrote:If pinkie found a way to clone herself, what would happen?

Hot cupcakes-filled selfcest.
DerpyGrooves

Postby bartekko » 03 Sep 2011 08:42

petfood56 wrote:
SwissArmyCheese wrote:Ok, thank you!

i know how you feel *looks at z3ta+*

Isn't it like you can simply save a blank preset to z3ta+, and then just from the program menu select "initialize"?
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby RobotPony » 06 Sep 2011 18:30

Why is jazz so awesome? I've been playing it for quite a while now, and I still don't know why.
RobotPony

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Sep 2011 23:11

RobotPony wrote:Why is jazz so awesome? I've been playing it for quite a while now, and I still don't know why.

Jazz has deep theoretical roots that foster creativity in a unified, significant way.

Also, sunglasses!
DerpyGrooves

Next

Return to Technique