Industrial Drum samples?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Industrial Drum samples?

Postby Whitetail » 12 Jul 2011 09:45

I've always loved industrial style music, but I can never seem to find the drum samples to make it happen. Anyone have some good industrial drum samples they'd be willing to share?

Example of what I'm looking for:
Whitetail

Re: Industrial Drum samples?

Postby DerpyGrooves » 12 Jul 2011 10:41

Try running normal drum samples through bitcrush+distortion and you should be getting in the right direction. Compression also helps.

Essentially the above song is just 808 effected thusly. A gated white noise channel is the snare, more or less.

http://www.hammersound.net/cgi-bin/soun ... al_Set.rar

That said, here's a soundfont I've heard good stuff about. Haven't used it tho, so I have no idea. Unfortunately there aren't many samplepacks for industrial, as a lot of it is just stock sounds effected.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby MichaelA » 29 Jul 2011 21:39

I make trance/dubstep/europop, and I can tell you that Vengence Sounds is the way to go! (http://www.vengeance-sound.com/)
Go into their samples section, they have more samples then you can shake a stick at. I bought 1 sample pack(1, JUST 1!), for $80(You may be saying it's a rip off, but it's worth it), and that's all I ever use now. You might want to invest in this.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby [voodoopony] » 29 Aug 2011 14:28

Holy crap your gif was clapping to the beat.
Those drums sort of remind me of the drums in the intro of 'An Eagle In Your Mind' by Boards of Canada.
I think what you're looking for are some distinct authentic samples. Not just any old drum kit but one that has a certain voice in the snare and frequency in the kick and stuff. I'd look around for some old motown/funk drum solos.

I got only one sample pack for 9 bucks off iTunes called '300 of the Greatest Breaks, Drum Loops and Beats' and I love the shit out of it. It might be what you're looking for.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby MichaelA » 10 Sep 2011 23:56

Also, you can try layering and EQ'ing your drums. Use multiple kicks/snares/hats. Sometimes you can get really good results. Also, some distortion can help as well.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Return to Technique