Instrumentalists- Put Ya Hooves Up!

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Instrumentalists- Put Ya Hooves Up!

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Jul 2011 18:56

So, apart from me, I'm sure there must be somepony else who likes to riff on actual instruments.

I'm a multi-instrumentalist by trade and along with singing, I can play just about anything you don't have to blow into. i.e. Guitar, ukulele, drums, bass, hand percussion, piano/keyboards, theremin etc...

On the wind side of things, I can play harmonica, melodica, a selection of traditional flutes and I literally just bought a trumpet the other week because I'm a cocky idiot sometimes. ^^;

So, what does everypony play? Inquiring minds demand to know!
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Instrumentalists- Put Ya Hooves Up!

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 06 Jul 2011 19:09

Guitar has been my main instrument for 11 years now, I play piano, all-be-it, very badly...
I sing, mostly for choirs!
And I'm not too bad on the ol' didgeridoo!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby RobotPony » 06 Jul 2011 19:11

I play guitar and have done so for about eleven years now. I can play bass and I can play drums a little bit, but I almost never do. I can read sheet music okay, so I could theoretically play keyboard, but I have never played it seriously. I sort of plan to get into it a little bit more though, as I start to make music.
RobotPony

Postby Whitetail » 06 Jul 2011 19:34

I'm mainly a bassist (play a 6 string electric), but I also own (not necessarily can play well) Guitar, Banjo and Sitar, along with really weird Indian keyboard instrument I occasionally mess with that gets some weird sounds.

I'm also left handed (hooved?), so that can be a pain in finding instruments,
Whitetail

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Jul 2011 19:39

Derpy Hooves wrote:I'm mainly a bassist (play a 6 string electric), but I also own (not necessarily can play well) Guitar, Banjo and Sitar, along with really weird Indian keyboard instrument I occasionally mess with that gets some weird sounds.

For that indian keyboard- are you referring to the harmonium?
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Senator Myth » 06 Jul 2011 19:42

I play the guitar and keyboard passably well, but the bass is probably my favorite. I played French horn in middle school, too, although that probably doesn't count. As for sheet music, well, I'm doing my best to learn how to read it.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Whitetail » 06 Jul 2011 19:56

DerpyGrooves wrote:
Derpy Hooves wrote:I'm mainly a bassist (play a 6 string electric), but I also own (not necessarily can play well) Guitar, Banjo and Sitar, along with really weird Indian keyboard instrument I occasionally mess with that gets some weird sounds.

Nope, bulbal tarang

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UPvBhd9N3M

Except mine's really cheap and I'm horrible at it haha
Whitetail

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Jul 2011 20:06

Derpy Hooves wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:

Nope, bulbal tarang

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UPvBhd9N3M

Except mine's really cheap and I'm horrible at it haha

Oh! I didn't know those things had a name, I always just called it the keyboard sitar. That's really cool man, although I heard that half the ones you can find in america don't work properly.

That's sick, and it's going on my wishlist.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Whitetail » 06 Jul 2011 20:34

Haha well mine definitely doesn't sound that good, but it's playable (sort of, I stick with the lower notes because as you get higher up the other side of the string begins to vibrate messing with the tone, I've been thinking of sticking some cotton balls on the other side of the metal bar to deaden that) so....
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 06 Jul 2011 21:50

Those are some sick instruments Derpy and Derpy (lol).
I can play Bagpipes (if you couldn't already tell xD) Albeit not as good as I'd like, I still get winded. I also have 3 tin whistles in the keys of C,D,and Eb; a crappy electric guitar that never stays in tune, a keyboard, and an accordion. I fancy myself a flutist more than anything but I'm pretty good with the keyboard as well. I'm really not much a performer though.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 06 Jul 2011 21:57

I think if you're ever interested, the Hurdy Gurdy would be awesome for you, they're only playable with the left hand while the right cranks.
Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about: [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4y7HNW972M[/youtube]
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby NightColt » 06 Jul 2011 22:08

I've played piano since I was about 5 years old, but its really been just for fun. When I was eleven I picked up the electric guitar, bass, and keyboard. I consider guitar and keys to be my main instruments though in my opinion I only play them "moderately well". Funny thing is I own a 7-String guitar and a 5-String bass because of the crazy low tuning I tend to play in.

And I also picked up drums a bit from my many failed attempts to form a band. And Guitar Hero World Tour.

Bagpipe Brony wrote:I can play Bagpipes (if you couldn't already tell xD) Albeit not as good as I'd like, I still get winded. I also have 3 tin whistles in the keys of C,D,and Eb; [...] and an accordion.

So basically, every instrument I've ever wanted to play ever. There's a band named Eluveitie that plays all of them and it's just simply amazing.
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Versilaryan » 06 Jul 2011 22:25

I played trumpet for the longest time -- I almost went to college for trumpet performance. But I haven't practiced it for the longest time, now. >.>

Besides that, I sing, play some guitar, and can bang out a few tunes on the piano. Standard fare.
Versilaryan

Postby Artemus » 07 Jul 2011 00:09

I play drums/bass for a number of bands, as well as being a piano/organ major for school. I also sing for more choirs/operas than I can count.

Note that just because I'm a keyboard major, doesn't mean I'm super-uber good. I started school last year, but I'll get there.
~"This piece, needs more Piano. Like two cubic tons of Piano, in a small pile just over there."~

Artemus

Postby Mosche Swaggenberger » 07 Jul 2011 00:55

I do this kinda shit.

Mosche Swaggenberger

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 07 Jul 2011 07:30

NightColt wrote:
Bagpipe Brony wrote:I can play Bagpipes (if you couldn't already tell xD) Albeit not as good as I'd like, I still get winded. I also have 3 tin whistles in the keys of C,D,and Eb; [...] and an accordion.

So basically, every instrument I've ever wanted to play ever. There's a band named Eluveitie that plays all of them and it's just simply amazing.

Yes I know! lol That's why I play them xD. Although, Eluveitie used a Galician Gaita on Slania which is in C and when Sevan left, Pade took over with a Mittelalterlichen Marktsackpfeife which is in Am. I have the Scottish Highland bagpipe chanter which is in A# so I can't play any of their tunes /=
I wish I had the MA Sackpfeife, they sound so cool! and the drones are a fifth apart so it's like a giant power chord! lol. Sadly the damn thing is almost $2,000 fresh from Germany.
Also if you like Eluveite, you would wanna check out In Extremo, Saltatio Mortis, Tanzwut, and Faun. c:
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 07 Jul 2011 08:44

Bagpipe Brony wrote:

I think if you're ever interested, the Hurdy Gurdy would be awesome for you, they're only playable with the left hand while the right cranks.
Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about: [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4y7HNW972M[/youtube]

Yeah I've seen the hurdy gurdy before, I do particularly love odd and obscure instruments. I actually find instructions on how to build your own online, seeing as I have tons of free time now I may consider taking it up as a summer project:

http://www.dennishavlena.com/hurdy.htm

I played trumpet for the longest time -- I almost went to college for trumpet performance. But I haven't practiced it for the longest time, now. >.>

I originally wanted to go with trumpet when I was in elementary school, but because I was supposed to get braces at an early age (I didn't until like 5 years later....) my parents made me go with the clarinet. I never was the hugest fan of the clarinet so I was pretty happy when I could later switch that out for the saxophone in high school.

Horse mask guy wrote:I do this kinda shit.

What program is that? (and what's more, is it free?)
Whitetail

Postby Interrobang Pie » 07 Jul 2011 09:27

I have a silly plastic kazoo.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Mosche Swaggenberger » 07 Jul 2011 10:18

Derpy Hooves wrote:What program is that? (and what's more, is it free?)

Serato ScratchLIVE. The software is free, but the box that comes with it is $500. And you have to have turntables and a mixer to hook it up to, which runs you somewhere around $1000, additionally.

Takes a little while to build up.
Mosche Swaggenberger

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 07 Jul 2011 11:19

Derpy Hooves wrote:
Yeah I've seen the hurdy gurdy before, I do particularly love odd and obscure instruments. I actually find instructions on how to build your own online, seeing as I have tons of free time now I may consider taking it up as a summer project:

http://www.dennishavlena.com/hurdy.htm

No
just, No. I know it's only $20 but that is not a Hurdy Gurdy, you need a real kit on how to make one. They are by no means $20 but they can actually make you a quality hurdy gurdy should you have the patience and wood working skill.
here is the place to start: http://www.hurdygurdy.com/info/build.htm
However I recommend you just buy a relatively good one here: http://www.altarwind.com/hg.html
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 07 Jul 2011 12:48

I don't exactly have a $700 to devote to an instrument that's not going to be my main one
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 07 Jul 2011 13:03

Derpy Hooves wrote:I don't exactly have a $700 to devote to an instrument that's not going to be my main one

Hence, why I don't have one lol. You're free by all means to pursue that first $20 hurdy gurdy project. I just don't like that dude talking about how to make haphazard instruments. They're so expensive because of the time and skill that absolutely has to go into making the instrument. The same is true of any instrument.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 07 Jul 2011 13:11

There's nothing wrong with making your own instruments, if anything you can say that's the best option to go with (if you're capable) since you can make the instrument to your own liking, what's more you're not confined to making any sort of "breed" of instrument (IE, guitar, harp, etc.) and can make something entirely new. If someone wants to provide instructions for others to go about creating their own haphazard instruments why not? It's obvious not everyone has the money or interest in certain instruments to invest in a professionally made one, and if anything if you make your own and find that you like the concept of the instrument in general you can go out and buy a serious one. It's just not everyone's going to spend that much money on an instrument they've never touched before in their life, think try before you buy.
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 07 Jul 2011 13:51

Derpy Hooves wrote:There's nothing wrong with making your own instruments, if anything you can say that's the best option to go with (if you're capable) since you can make the instrument to your own liking, what's more you're not confined to making any sort of "breed" of instrument (IE, guitar, harp, etc.) and can make something entirely new. If someone wants to provide instructions for others to go about creating their own haphazard instruments why not? It's obvious not everyone has the money or interest in certain instruments to invest in a professionally made one, and if anything if you make your own and find that you like the concept of the instrument in general you can go out and buy a serious one. It's just not everyone's going to spend that much money on an instrument they've never touched before in their life, think try before you buy.

Well I supposed you raise a valid point, it definitely is better to try it first if you can. After all, I did make my own bagpipe... and I liked it so much I will be investing in a real one.
btw just so it's known, I made said bagpipe out of a trash bag, a whole roll of duct tape, a fipple flute, and other pipes as "show drones" so that I could get a realistic weight on my shoulder.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Gersh66 » 07 Jul 2011 20:47

I can sing decently (or so I'm told), played piano for about 10 years (although I never got as good as I would like), and own a way out of tune guitar I hopefully will learn. One thing I really want to learn is the cello, except I don't feel like payin 300 bucks for one.
~Gersh
~http://gersh-tunes.tumblr.com/
Gersh66

Next

Return to Technique