Site Maintenance and Upgrades

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Site Maintenance and Upgrades

Postby pocketjawa » 12 Nov 2016 16:47

Hi all,

Over the next couple weeks I'm going to be making a few changes to the server that hosts MLR. Namely, I'm switching the web server software from apache to nginx and implementing HTTPS for MLR. The expected downtime for this switch is a couple minutes and I will make an edit and send out a tweet when I have a time decided (though I will try and keep it later in the day where people are likely asleep in most parts of the world).

One upside of enforcing HTTPS is that it adds some security to the site. Currently anything you request or post is sent unencrypted and in 2016 that is not acceptable. It also means that when you log into the site you know for sure that you are logging into the real MLR and not one that somebody has tricked your computer into going to instead.

As for any concerns that this will break old links, I will have it set to automatically redirect any requests/links to exactly the same spot, but with https:// instead of http:// (don't want to break anybody's links or bookmarks now do we).

If you have any other questions or concerns do not hesitate to ask!
pocketjawa
Site Admin

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Site Maintenance and Upgrades

Postby pocketjawa » 18 Mar 2017 13:29

I apologize for the short notice but I finally got time to test everything out and since it seems to work fine (no surprise as I've already done this kind of thing with other sites) I would like to switch over ASAP.

I will be making the switch at 11 PM EDT today, 2017-03-18. Honestly there won't really be any downtime as the switch will only take a minute. After that the next page you load will tell your web browser to automatically switch over to HTTPS.

I'll be posting tweets when I start and finish the switchover on https://twitter.com/mylittleremix so you can follow along there.
pocketjawa
Site Admin

Postby pocketjawa » 18 Mar 2017 21:02

And the switch is all done! If you have any questions about what I did today and why, feel free to ask away!
pocketjawa
Site Admin

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Mar 2017 14:39

Yeah, I'm curious. What changed and what effect does it have?

EDIT - nevermind I totally forgot that there might be a relation to the last two posts and the post before that. :P
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Return to Technique