Let's talk keyboards

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Let's talk keyboards

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Jul 2011 14:46

Howdy everypony. So my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-530) was effectively destroyed by dust/dirt after a tragic remodeling accident, so I'm looking for something new while I try to chuck it on craigslist.

Honestly, I'm looking at one of those Akai MPK mini keyboards, but I'd like to hear what everypony has got to say. TBH I'll likely be working mostly with electro textures, so I won't need that much range, and the knobs seems like they'll come in handy, but I want some wisdom dropped on me before I dump 100$ on a MIDI thing.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Let's talk keyboards

Postby Whitetail » 06 Jul 2011 14:49

I've got a LPK 25 and it works I guess, I'm just too bad at keyboard for it to be useful for sequencing so I normally use it to test sounds and try coming up with lines. Problem being it only has a USB output, so it's inherently useless for anything other then DAW work.
Whitetail

Postby Aussie » 06 Jul 2011 15:20

What a cowinkydink. I have an Akai MPK mini!

It's a good keyboard, no serious complaints. And yes, the knobs are extremely handy.

And it lights up. Lights are cool.
Aussie

Postby Mundius » 06 Jul 2011 15:36

I don't have one, lol. =D
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 06 Jul 2011 15:52

I don't even have the workspace for a keyboard/beefy computer/ speakers setup. I'm on a laptop using earbuds with my bed as a desk. I use my keypad as a keyboard lol.
And I still kick ass! Very humble beginnings I suppose.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Spirit » 08 Jul 2011 23:15

Bagpipe Brony wrote:I don't even have the workspace for a keyboard/beefy computer/ speakers setup. I'm on a laptop using earbuds with my bed as a desk. I use my keypad as a keyboard lol.
And I still kick ass! Very humble beginnings I suppose.

this is basically me although i'm saving up for some decent speakers. dunno whether i should just buy some 2.1/5.1 computer speakers or go a bit father and buy some proper monitor speakers. after that its deciding whether i go to replace my decks and mixer or buy a keyboard
http://soundcloud.com/mexztah <-- Tunes wot i have made up
Currently working on/ideas: Nothing ATM
System sound for system people
Spirit

Postby Stars In Autumn » 09 Jul 2011 00:33

I have a yamaha clavinova I got many years ago when I was in high school. It wasn't until recently I got a MIDI cable for it. But it's pretty sweet, I just have to back up a bit and turn 90 degrees to the left and I can jam out for awhile.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Icky » 09 Jul 2011 01:13

Derpy Hooves wrote:I've got a LPK 25 and it works I guess, I'm just too bad at keyboard for it to be useful for sequencing so I normally use it to test sounds and try coming up with lines. Problem being it only has a USB output, so it's inherently useless for anything other then DAW work.

This. I also have the Akai LPK25 and I use it for exactly the same.
Icky

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 09 Jul 2011 09:16

What does everyone mean when they say a keyboard is only good for DAW work? Forgive me, but I've never used a keyboard for anything other than piano practice. I click in all my notes and fix their velocities by hand.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Jul 2011 09:25

Bagpipe Brony wrote:What does everyone mean when they say a keyboard is only good for DAW work? Forgive me, but I've never used a keyboard for anything other than piano practice. I click in all my notes and fix their velocities by hand.

They keyboard they're referring to is the LPK 25, a usb-based MIDI controller. Essentially, the device cannot make noise on it's own, and needs a computer in order to make sound. i.e. only good for DAW work. Presumably, a standalone synth or a proper digital piano would be more appropriate for other applications (live playing, etc...)
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 09 Jul 2011 10:05

Oooooooooooooooh, so those were all MIDI controllers then lol. I know what those are, I wish I had a Keytar which is one as well. I just didn't know about the USB usage bit. but thanks for clearing that up dude! c:
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby markingdude » 09 Jul 2011 22:03

Last edited by markingdude on 07 Jun 2012 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
markingdude

Postby Sugarholik » 15 Jul 2011 11:20

I've got Kurzweil pc3x.
It's got a lot of sounds and effects and a whole bunch of hard and soft controllers and stuff. It takes a lot of time to figure everything out though... But it's very capable pile of metal and flashy lights. :D
Me gusta.
Holy fuck, it's been such a long time! Thanks all 'yall everyponies! If you're a familiar username on a nostalgia trip, I sincerely hope life's been treating you well. I've certainly had quite a journey! The ride never ends! <3

Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ArtAttack » 15 Jul 2011 11:24

Bagpipe Brony wrote: I wish I had a Keytar which is one as well.

Yeah, it's a tad bulky, and a bit of a bear to set up, but soooo worth it in the end :D
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Kumquaticus » 15 Jul 2011 13:14

I don't currently have a keyboard, but I really really really really want one

If it has midi output and velocity sensors then I will be the happiest person on the planet.

(Even better, my electric violin tutor who is awesome and a definite musical inspiration for me thinks he has a contact that is willing to sell exactly that, 88 keys, plus a whole bunch of awesome crap for just $100 USD. ABSOLUTE GLEE)
Life is good. Life is short. Have some fun and enjoy it while it lasts.

My bandcamp
My SoundCloud
My Tumblr
Kumquaticus

Postby bartekko » 25 Aug 2011 14:06

I've got a LPD8, and aussie already said something about teh lightz.
Hell of a work to set up the four presets to be usable, but after all it's good stuff, confirmed by 10% of the mlr community that has that stuff.
pads have that kinda strange feeling, knobs are not full size, but rather flattened and feel kinda weak.
But for dat price...
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Return to Technique