Remix War VIII: Tour Across Equestria

Remix War VIII: Tour Across Equestria

Postby Stars In Autumn » 17 May 2014 20:04

Round VIII - Tour Across Equestria

Art by MG

“Equestria is a big place, you'll need a guide.”

Welcome to the eighth round of MLR's Remix War!

As with the previous remix wars, this contest is split into two parts. Part one is creating a remix of another brony’s work. The same rules apply as all previous remix wars. One song only, the original must of been produced by a brony (no show songs), and preferably you should remix something that’s not been done over and over again.

Part two will be a collab challenge. The goal is to find another brony musician who you would like to work with and then create an original song based on a specific location or place in Equestria. This can be based on a town, a landmark, or a region. This song can be any genre, but it should capture some aspect of the place you make the theme for. Both partners can only submit one song.
Songwriters and Audio Engineers may also team up, so long as they both contribute to the creation and quality of the song.

So pick option 1, option 2, or both!

Round VIII: Timetable, Deadline, and Details
--Timetable--
Due: August 16th at 0:00 GMT. (August 15th between 16:00-19:00 for us in the states. Please be aware of this deadline.) Do not publish your entry until after the broadcast on the 23rd.
Streaming Event: August 23rd

--How to Register--
  1. To register, you need to create an account on our forum mylittleremix.com
  2. Once you have an account, go here.
  3. Click on the event that you want to participate in and select Participate at the bottom of the list. Your name will be added to the list. You will then have the option to withdraw, or submit an entry.

--How to Submit--
  1. Remix Format: Remixed - Title of Track (Remixer's Remix)
    e.g: Applejack - I'm A Silly Pony (Rarity's Remix)
  2. Collab Format: Artist 1, Artist 2 - Title of Track
    e.g: Applejack, Rarity - Art Of The Apple
  3. Upload your song to YouTube.
  4. Set the video as [Unlisted] as opposed to [Public] (You’re free to reveal it after the streaming event.)
  5. In the description, post a link to the MP3 download, and a link to the original composer.
    Please use mediafire/soundcloud as your MP3 download site. The file must be easy to download that requires no registration for myself.
    If your music is intentionally or unintentionally damaging or dangerous to your viewer's hearing, you will be disqualified.
  6. Submit your entry by clicking on the event and clicking on Submit Entry here.
  7. You need to fill out every field, including a direct download link. Only mp3 format will be accepted. Any other formats (such as .wav) will not be included in the download pack.

-- Streaming Event --
We will be hosting the event on Celestia Radio, as we did last year. This time we'll have a dedicated radio host play our music as to avoid mishaps with the streaming event.

Plans may change so be sure to check this topic often for more details.

-- Intermission Song --

The several past remix wars has had an intermission song played in the middle. zorg will be once again organizing the next intermission song. If you would like to contribute to it, head on over to his topic. The songs are always fun to listen to as they evolve quite a bit in style. You can listen to last year's here

BRONY REMIX FAQ:
Q: Can I remix Daniel Ingram? Can I remix the show?
A: No. You can only remix another brony remixing the show.

Q: Can I remix a remix?
A: No. If you like a particular remix, remix the original instead. Remixing a remix blurs who did what and can be confusing.

Q: Who can I remix?
A: Anyone in the community! Participants or not. Just not the show directly.

Q: I need help, can I ask the person I’m remixing for audio stems or MIDI?
A: Yes you may, but it will still be up to the original author to share these or not. Usually they do.

Q: Can I remix myself?
A: What? No! Why would you ask that? Friendship! Make some friends!

Q: My music is <genre name>. Can I particiapate?
A: You can submit music of any genre you like, as long as it's not above 10 minutes and doesn't destroy one's ears.

Q: Do I have to do both a remix and a collab?
A: Nope! You can do both, or just choose to do one or the other.

Q: What are your standards on track content?
A: Please do not have swearing or references to drugs/sex.

Q: Will my entry be judged?
A: No, this is just a friendly event designed to both get its participants to develop their production skills as well as meet more musicians in the fandom.

Q: I am having trouble with the theme! Is there a list of locations I can refer to?
A: Yes, you can find a couple of maps of Equestria here and here.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Re: Remix War VIII: Tour Across Equestria

Postby MG Music » 17 May 2014 22:43

Let's get started guys and remember lets have fun :P
MG Music

Primary: Synth: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: EDM

Postby Makkon » 17 May 2014 23:01

Registered. Hope life gives me more free time, it'd be nice to do one of these again.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Freewave » 18 May 2014 00:21

Feel free let people know about this

You can reblog on tumblr > http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/post/8608326 ... ed-a-guide

Again
Map of Equestria
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... l_2013.jpg
Map of Southern Equestria
http://plzwork112234.deviantart.com/art ... -346963464
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby SlyphStorm » 18 May 2014 01:30

Alrighty then, let's do this.
SlyphStorm

Postby Feedback » 18 May 2014 01:31

Is there any way to only enter into one part or the other? I'd love to collab with someone, but I'd like to actually get some remix experience under my belt before I try to do a remix for something like this.
Feedback

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Two tied eighth notes

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 18 May 2014 01:33

Maybe now I'll finally finish my Winterglade remix from like a year ago
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby S.P.P » 18 May 2014 01:58

Feedback wrote:Is there any way to only enter into one part or the other? I'd love to collab with someone, but I'd like to actually get some remix experience under my belt before I try to do a remix for something like this.

Last year there were quite a few people who did the remix but didn't manage the collab, I cant imagine you wouldn't be allowed to do vice-versa.

I'm going to -try- to do both parts this time around.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Ryazan » 18 May 2014 02:51

Registered. Hope I can finish my job on time XD
Ryazan

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Launchpad

Postby Freewave » 18 May 2014 07:01

Feedback wrote:Is there any way to only enter into one part or the other? I'd love to collab with someone, but I'd like to actually get some remix experience under my belt before I try to do a remix for something like this.

Pick option1, option 2, or both!
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby CitricAcid » 18 May 2014 07:43

Here goes nothing. I've never remixed anything before, so this will be an interesting learning experience. I don't listen to brony music, so I'll probably need some help finding a song to remix.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby FLAOFEI » 18 May 2014 09:44

Sooooo... Does it have to be in equestria? Sadle Arabia isn't in equestria... And the Changeling hives... I don't think they are either. Can we do those to?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby PENG-1 » 18 May 2014 09:51

Getting a couple of friends involved. Have an idea for a couple remixes myself.
Some penguin obsessed idiot with FL Studio.
PENG-1

Primary: Abelton/Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Callenby » 18 May 2014 11:02

Option 2 sounds pretty sweet. Just need to find a collaborator now.

Also I'd just like to throw my music out there for remixers to consider. It's not the type that usually gets remixed and I'd honestly like to see someone try it out.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Stuntddude » 18 May 2014 11:53

Obligatory post expressing my general excitement, vow of participation, and will to find a collaborator for part 2 of the event!
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby taZe » 18 May 2014 14:29

I'm pumped for this. I already have something in mind.
taZe

Primary: FL Studio 12.1
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Artless » 18 May 2014 14:49

Time to redouble my search for a song. Thanks for the long remix period too, as I have a few projects I want to wrap up first. I'm definitely in for this, I'll try to get something in for both parts.
Artless

Cutie Mark: Sorta House

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 18 May 2014 15:17

so when's the seventeen-way collab
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby ExoBassTix » 18 May 2014 15:46

CaptainFluffatun wrote:so when's the seventeen-way collab

Sorry, the five-way collab I had in mind isn't worthy enough.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Stars In Autumn » 18 May 2014 19:16

FLAOFEI wrote:Sooooo... Does it have to be in equestria? Sadle Arabia isn't in equestria... And the Changeling hives... I don't think they are either. Can we do those to?

Good question, I didn't think of that. You can do any location from the show, it doesn't have to be located in the nation of Equestria.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 18 May 2014 19:30

Stars In Autumn wrote:Q: Can we collab on a remix?
A: No, a remix generally is done by one person, as it starts to involve too many people with a single song.

May I ask why?

I recall some collab remixes from previous Remix Wars were pretty good. Like Aussie & The Marking Dude collabing on a remix of Silva Hound's Vinyl Scratch.

It's pretty silly to limit creative collaboration needlessly.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby zorg » 18 May 2014 22:15

Supersaw Hoover wrote:
Stars In Autumn wrote:Q: Can we collab on a remix?
A: No, a remix generally is done by one person, as it starts to involve too many people with a single song.

May I ask why?

I recall some collab remixes from previous Remix Wars were pretty good. Like Aussie & The Marking Dude collabing on a remix of Silva Hound's Vinyl Scratch.

And there have been remixes of remixes done before as well, if i remember correctly.

Though i can understand why neither is "allowed" since one might reason that the remix collabs are more likely to fail due to more participants meaning more points to argue, and the remix²-es because we shouldn't dilute a track too much or something...
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby Stars In Autumn » 19 May 2014 00:35

Supersaw Hoover wrote:May I ask why?

Two people working together on a remix is very limiting. Since you are already working with an already established melody and structure, typically the things that get changed are rearranging structure, altering sounds, and possibly adding/removing new sections. Remixes are much easier to do than original works and I don't see why a collaborative process is required.

Saying that, if you are intent on collabing on a remix, I won't stop you, but you're limiting to what you can contribute to the event.

zorg wrote:And there have been remixes of remixes done before as well, if i remember correctly.

Though i can understand why neither is "allowed" since one might reason that the remix collabs are more likely to fail due to more participants meaning more points to argue, and the remix²-es because we shouldn't dilute a track too much or something...

Having a remix of a remix is bad for two reasons. Reason one is credit. Does the first remixer still get credit? How do you distinguish this artist apart from both the original artist and the 2nd remixer? Reason two is just what you mentioned. The second remixer is trying to reinterpret the reinterpretation of the original song. Why do that when you can just reinterpret the original song? The meaning is lost to all but people who would of already heard the original AND the remixer's versions enough to distinguish the 2nd version's differences.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 19 May 2014 00:40

Stars In Autumn wrote:
Supersaw Hoover wrote:May I ask why?

Two people working together on a remix is very limiting. Since you are already working with an already established melody and structure, typically the things that get changed are rearranging structure, altering sounds, and possibly adding/removing new sections. Remixes are much easier to do than original works and I don't see why a collaborative process is required.

Saying that, if you are intent on collabing on a remix, I won't stop you, but you're limiting to what you can contribute to the event.

zorg wrote:And there have been remixes of remixes done before as well, if i remember correctly.

Having a remix of a remix is bad for two reasons. Reason one is credit. Does the first remixer still get credit? How do you distinguish this artist apart from both the original artist and the 2nd remixer? Reason two is just what you mentioned. The second remixer is trying to reinterpret the reinterpretation of the original song. Why do that when you can just reinterpret the original song? The meaning is lost to all but people who would of already heard the original AND the remixer's versions enough to distinguish the 2nd version's differences.

Addressing first point: No, two people can bring more to the table, quite often...that's why collabs are cool. Who said you're doing a strict remix of the track? A lot of remixes are re-imaginings, covers, or even somewhat-original tracks in a totally different style that just samples the original heavily. Sometimes remixes take as much effort or more than original works. I really hope you're not belittling remixing while running a Remix War. Regardless, it's not limiting.

Second point, even though I'm not zorg: What's wrong with amusingly long chains of remix credit? You can nest them, whatever. That can be done. Second, as I said in the previous paragraph, a lot of remixes are wildly different or introduce new concepts into the track. Remixes are best, in fact, when they do that. So, it's totally possible and reasonable that a musician is inspired by those new additions, and thus would want to remix a remix instead of the original, because otherwise it'd be kinda plagiarism of the remix.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Stars In Autumn » 19 May 2014 01:03

Supersaw Hoover wrote:Having a remix of a remix is bad for two reasons. Reason one is credit. Does the first remixer still get credit? How do you distinguish this artist apart from both the original artist and the 2nd remixer? Reason two is just what you mentioned. The second remixer is trying to reinterpret the reinterpretation of the original song. Why do that when you can just reinterpret the original song? The meaning is lost to all but people who would of already heard the original AND the remixer's versions enough to distinguish the 2nd version's differences.

Addressing first point: No, two people can bring more to the table, quite often...that's why collabs are cool. Who said you're doing a strict remix of the track? A lot of remixes are re-imaginings, covers, or even somewhat-original tracks in a totally different style that just samples the original heavily. Sometimes remixes take as much effort or more than original works. I really hope you're not belittling remixing while running a Remix War. Regardless, it's not limiting.

Second point, even though I'm not zorg: What's wrong with amusingly long chains of remix credit? You can nest them, whatever. That can be done. Second, as I said in the previous paragraph, a lot of remixes are wildly different or introduce new concepts into the track. Remixes are best, in fact, when they do that. So, it's totally possible and reasonable that a musician is inspired by those new additions, and thus would want to remix a remix instead of the original, because otherwise it'd be kinda plagiarism of the remix.

Like I said, Supersaw, you can do a collab on a remix... I'll remove the rule. I personally am against it, but I don't wish to restrict people simply because of my feelings on the matter. I would like to ask participants to avoid this, however, as it reduces the role a person has on the song.

You failed to address my points on zorg's post. It does a disservice to the original artist and the remixer when you remix another remix, because now you have songs like "Artist One - Song Title (Artist Two Remix (Artist Three Remix)), etc. No one know's who did what. I'm not saying a person CAN'T do it, I'm saying a person SHOULDN'T do it. It just convolutes the whole thing.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Remix War