Looking for mastering engineer for R&R

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Looking for mastering engineer for R&R

Postby Mesogears » 16 Jan 2013 19:46

So I've decided to enter Rainbow & Rooted, and I'm trying to make a top-notch sounding track. However, I'm a complete noob when it comes to the more technical aspects of production.

Is anyone here willing to help?

Thanks,
MG
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Drums

Re: Looking for mastering engineer for R&R

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Jan 2013 20:29

When do you want it by?

I could fit in a master on the weekend.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Jan 2013 21:04

And after you've submitted this track, look at all the tools for mastering tracks and learn what they do so that you can start to master your own tracks more efficiently.

I'll give you a little start:
2 Parametric EQ units
a compressor (just the regular fruity compressor works fine)
a multiband compressor (fruity multiband works good here)
and fruity limiter for the last piece.

Start with 1 of the EQ units, and cut off the unnecessary frequencies (HP on around 25Hz, LP on 18k-20kHz)

Use the regular compressor to soften the peaks by setting a fairly low threshold (around the -6 to -10 region, but you could use fruity limiter's compressor feature to see where the peaks end and the body of the song starts) and softly compress them, usually not more than a 3:0 ratio, although that may be a bit high, try around 2:0. Enough compression to lower the peaks, not enough to distort it. Fast attack, around 200ms release or something. Removing the peaks will add some headroom, and you'll be able to increase the overall volume without clipping.

Follow up with a multiband compressor to try and level out the entire song. Look at the green bars and stuff next to each compressor range unit to see how close they are. The bass might be higher than the others, and the higher frequency band's levels will be lower. It's really helpful to use the frequency range analyzer that's located at the top of FL. Just set it to "spectrum" mode if you haven't already. That's where it's the most helpful.

Use another parametric EQ to provide slight boosts to the regions that are lacking. Usually around the 6k-8k region on the chart is where you'll need to provide the boost, and never more than about 2-4dB, maybe lower. Enough that it makes a slight difference to help level out the frequencies, but not enough to distort it.

Use the limiter to increase the gain of the song a bit. Loud enough to be enjoyable, quiet enough so that it's not obnoxious.

A lot of this can be done by ear, but also rely on visuals to aid you in this process. They'll help you where your ears can't, but sometimes they can't help you where your ears can. Yeah, mastering take a bit of practice, but it's something that you should really want to practice.

Overall, the goals of mastering are to remove the peaks on the song, level out the frequency range, and increase the volume to a point where it's more enjoyable.

Just as a note though, you will not be able to get a perfectly level frequency spectrum. So don't be worried it it's not level as much as you want it to be without distorting. Mastering just provides minor leveling, and the most leveling of the frequency spectrum should be done while mixing.

Also, is looking for somebody to master for you what you meant? Or did you mean something more along the lines of help with sound design and mixing or something?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby Mesogears » 16 Jan 2013 22:42

the4thImpulse wrote:When do you want it by?

I need to do vocals on it first, but after that, it'll be ready for mastering.

Also, itroitnyah:
I'm basically looking for someone to do the mastering. I know how to use EQs, compressors, etc. to some extent, but I'm no expert. And since this is R&R and all, I don't think my beginner-level mastering skills are going to cut it.
~vladnuke

Mesogears

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Jan 2013 22:47

Mesogears wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:When do you want it by?

I need to do vocals on it first, but after that, it'll be ready for mastering.

Also, itroitnyah:
I'm basically looking for someone to do the mastering. I know how to use EQs, compressors, etc. to some extent, but I'm no expert. And since this is R&R and all, I don't think my beginner-level mastering skills are going to cut it.

Send me a PM whenever your ready, I love putting my skills to good use.

I also can't stress this enough but please, oh please listen to your final export a couple of times before sending it to me. Make sure its exactly how you want it before I master it. Its insane how many times people say "hey, I changed some small, miniscule part and I need it to be updated" after I master the track.
the4thImpulse

Postby Mesogears » 16 Jan 2013 23:00

Oh yeah,

I should note that I'm probably making two tracks for Rainbow & Rooted (I worded my post incorrectly).

Also, do you master with software or hardware?
~vladnuke

Mesogears

Postby the4thImpulse » 17 Jan 2013 09:51

Two tracks will be fine.

I will be mastering with software in my acoustically treated studio.
the4thImpulse

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Jan 2013 11:17

Alright, well, that's why you'll want to practice it sooner or later. Maybe after you've had 4th master the tracks for you, you could attempt to master the tracks yourself just for practice? :lol: Maybe get some of your producer friends to rate your mastering work afterwards
itroitnyah

Postby Mesogears » 19 Jan 2013 18:21

Remember how I said I was making 2 songs for R&R? Disregard that; I changed my mind and have decided not to make a second entry.

As for vocals...I realized that I'll need a slightly better mic first (A USB one since I don't have an interface), since my current one sounds like crap.
~vladnuke

Mesogears

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Jan 2013 08:27

If you need a new mic, I'd recommend just waiting until you can afford an audio interface then buy a proper condenser microphone, since if you're doing vocals, usb microphones won't provide the quality that will be good for vocals. But if you're really set on getting a microphone now instead of waiting until you have the money for an audio interface and proper condenser microphone, I'd recommend the Behringer C-1U, it's the USB connection model of the Behringer C-1, so you won't have to worry about getting an Audio Interface, and it's cheap so you won't be breaking the bank. It'll hold you over for a bit until you can get the money to purchase and audio interface and proper condenser microphone
itroitnyah

Return to Sharing is Magic