Want to hear what anyone can do with this

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Want to hear what anyone can do with this

Postby Paianni » 13 Jan 2013 13:37

This was my second ever composition made in a DAW (Logic Express 7) in September 2011, and since then I have milked it to death with new sections, instruments and various plugins, but I just can't get it to sound how I want it to. Its just too dark for me, despite the bright EQ on some synths, and particularly in the chorus does not deliver the uprising feeling that I expect from it. The sound design leaves quite a bit to be desired (apart from maybe 4:23 to 4:38). I've arranged it so that there's room for vocals to be put in later. Even though I should probably move on I want to get this out there at some stage, 'cause it just seems like a waste to not to. I've intended it to be a Dashie piece for the last month or so.

Here's a Dropbox link
Paianni

Re: Want to hear what anyone can do with this

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Jan 2013 17:07

Well, if it's too dark for you, it isn't a problem with the frequencies so EQing the higher end frequencies won't help any :P You'd want to change the chord progression and melody. Or do you mean that it's too bass-y?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Paianni » 13 Jan 2013 18:23

itroitnyah wrote:Well, if it's too dark for you, it isn't a problem with the frequencies so EQing the higher end frequencies won't help any :P You'd want to change the chord progression and melody. Or do you mean that it's too bass-y?
Its not that there's too much bass, its that its too condensed on the low end and I want to broaden it out a bit, 'get it out from a corner' if you see what I mean.

Anyway, that's not entirely the point of the thread, is it not? I don't want feedback, I want some tinkering.
Paianni

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Jan 2013 19:02

Lol, yeah, I know. Sorry, couldn't help myself :P
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 14 Jan 2013 13:59

I've had a look, the main reason it's so dark is all the instruments you're using don't have much high end :P I'll have a play when I actually have some time.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Paianni » 23 Jan 2013 15:37

Well, I've had second thoughts. I appears my main headphones (Koss Pro 3AA) don't take to muddy mixes particularly well. I've since revamped the structure of Make An Impression to be less pop and more trance/house, I will also no longer be adding vocals to this. I've tested this on my RHA MA450i earphones, some low-end on-ear Sennheisers at school, and the speakers with my micro hi-fi. On all of those it now sounds quite good, so I don't have any interest for making the mix sound brighter than it already does, anymore.
Paianni

Return to Sharing is Magic