<non-pony><EDM><Glitch-Hop(sorta)><Wip>- Grandise

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<non-pony><EDM><Glitch-Hop(sorta)><Wip>- Grandise

Postby Guthey » 24 Aug 2014 03:15

https://soundcloud.com/guthey/somethingmixing-2

Well, I haven't posted on this site in quite some time, so I figure I might as well put up this new song I was working on. Back like 3 weeks ago or something my computer broke down and the Hard drive had to be completely replaced. Unfortunately, I went without a back-up and lost absolutely everything. I was pretty upset, but during that time I was able to focus on alot of other things, as well as look up some videos (on my phone) and read a little bit about EDM music. I felt like whenever I tired making something of that genre it would(at least I thought) end up not so well, hence I would scrape everything and just make random sounds and work on my mixing, which was to my benefit as I learned alot about sound design, as well as learning a thing or two about making melodies and the music scales.

Anyways, The reason I was having trouble with EDM was that I was so constituted on structure and how things should sound, due to me listening to countless different songs and artists to see what I can pull from them. However, One night when I was just laying in bed because my computer was gone and I didn't feel like doing anything I had this epiphany. I should make what I want; whatever I feel like making, as long as I think it sounds pretty nice, and that I don't really need to listen to other artists to get an idea of what to do, because in a sense, my sense, that's just like copying them. It's like an american taco compared to a mexican taco; the american taco is just another replica of the original, just different in overall flavor or just awful.

After I had this realization, I asked my mom for her computer, which is a small laptop not capable of anything, and installed FL, to which I had saved on my usb(thank god), and quickly started making this. About a day later my computer arrived brand-spanking-new, at least it felt like it because it was completely wiped of anything and had a new hard drive. I then transferred what I had onto it and continued to work on this project. At first it wasn't turning out too well, and I was ready to just scrap it again, but I said to myself, "not this time," and motivated myself to work on it. As a result I was able to create this, and I am pretty pleased with it and myself for being able to make something EDM that I actually like.

I used completely different techniques when making all the sounds, from the pads to the synths and basses, as well as overall the rhythm of them. I tried to be a little experimental with this also, which may not have been a good idea since, to me, this is just like a bassline of the new types of stuff i'm going to be making, but I decided why not and went with it.

In retrospect, this is something very new to me, as I just barely realized what making music is all about, I feel as invigorated as I was when I first started making music about a year ago.

A few Questions:
1. How does it sound? One thing you won't have to point out is that it is quite low and alot of the sounds seem like they're in mono. This is because I have not yet figured out how I want to mix it, because my ideas are a little scrambled at the moment, but later I'll figure out how I want to do it.
What I want to know is are their any certain frequencies that sound off, obscure, too high, to rash, or just don't seem to sound nice? The reason I ask you is because I have been working on this all day and my ears are pretty much use to this now, I could use a second pair.
2. Anything sound strange or obscure? This question might seem counter-productive since I just said I'm going to make whatever, but that is actually unrelated. What I mean is does anything sound too loose, low or seems to mix bad with the others? Like I said, I've been listening to this all day. The beat at the end is very repetitive at the end, I know, but I am too lazy right now to want to change it. Also, the 2nd drop is probably on your mind also, but I learned that, in the end, I can pretty much make it whatever I want, as long as it sounds some what related. yes?
3. Any feedback at all on this. That is the one thing out of everything I want. The reason for this is because this is, what I deem, my first actual EDM track. Sure, there was that remix one, but I don't like to remember that one.

Remember this is just a Wip, The ending is going to be filled up a little, and I still need to make a intro, I just showed you the 1st and 2nd drop, as well as what is pretty much the ending right now.
That's about it. So any sort of word or feedback would be substantial. And It's pretty nice to post some back here again.
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
Guthey

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice