<pony><original<orchestral><minimalism> A is for Applejack

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<pony><original<orchestral><minimalism> A is for Applejack

Postby J Brew » 13 Aug 2014 21:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6UEke_ ... e=youtu.be

So, I decided to start writing minimalist music. So much fun. What do you think?
J Brew

Primary: Finale
Cutie Mark: Some abstract thing

Re: <pony><original<orchestral><minimalism> A is for Appleja

Postby DJ TATCM » 14 Aug 2014 11:00

The accents at around 1:30-ish could be quieter. When making minimal music (I've performed a piece by Glass before), it's important to be subtle about the various changes or else you run the risk of creating a sense of drama about the piece which ruins its illusory properties. At least, that's what my instructor tells me lol

Compositionally, this is superb. I admit, I've never heard anything in the brony fandom quite like this, so that's a definite plus! The closest comparison I could make in terms of how the song goes is probably "In C" by Terry Riley, but you manage to keep the song short and sweet comparatively (perhaps a bit too short) and had me hooked. I would have liked to hear you build up the chord ostinato first before bringing in the upbeat flute/clarinet melodies, but that's a minor critique.

Definitely gonna subscribe to you though! Great work overall!!
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Re: <pony><original<orchestral><minimalism> A is for Appleja

Postby J Brew » 14 Aug 2014 21:00

The accents at around 1:30-ish could be quieter. When making minimal music (I've performed a piece by Glass before), it's important to be subtle about the various changes or else you run the risk of creating a sense of drama about the piece which ruins its illusory properties. At least, that's what my instructor tells me lol

Compositionally, this is superb. I admit, I've never heard anything in the brony fandom quite like this, so that's a definite plus! The closest comparison I could make in terms of how the song goes is probably "In C" by Terry Riley, but you manage to keep the song short and sweet comparatively (perhaps a bit too short) and had me hooked. I would have liked to hear you build up the chord ostinato first before bringing in the upbeat flute/clarinet melodies, but that's a minor critique.

I agree. The piano accents could have been a little quieter. I also wish I didn't rush through the beginning. I feel good about it though and i'm definitely gonna make more minimalist pieces.
J Brew

Primary: Finale
Cutie Mark: Some abstract thing

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice