[Nonpony][Dubstep] Nothing

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

[Nonpony][Dubstep] Nothing

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Jul 2014 12:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFaPfoG5Mg
https://soundcloud.com/itroitnyah/nothing-itroitnyah

I finally finished up a new track. I did post this under the "review the track above you" thread, but no critique, so I went ahead and finished it up. Tell me what you guys think. I know I need some composition work, some of the parts sound like they're a bit muddy, and I need to improve on some of my sound design. Composition is my main focus for improvement with sound design following close behind.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: [Nonpony][Dubstep] Nothing

Postby eery » 25 Jul 2014 14:02

your drums sound really weak, especcially the snare. They're very much drowining in everything else. I'm also thinking you might be better off using different drums for the verse parts, since the snare sounds like it should be very big, but its just quiet around those parts.

Im sorta digging the basses, but I feel the pattern is repeated too often without any variation. On the second drop or whatever, its really really getting old.

At 1:55 it really sounds like you want a pad or something there, I dont think the plucky melody cant work just there by itself.

2:40 with the reverse sounding thing, it sounds a bit empty here, I think more reverb on it could have been nice.

The highpass at like 3:13 feels like it highpassing for too long, it just feels like the whole thing went away, rather than preparing for a drop or whatever. A way to fix this is to like use whitenoise with a LP that builds up, or just dont do the highpass on the whole mix. It's esspeccially weird since you have it coming down with the snares still on. if you made it go quiet, THEN had like 4 snares or whatever, it could create a good tension, idk. Just as it is, I dont feel it works.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Jul 2014 22:08

your drums sound really weak, especcially the snare. They're very much drowining in everything else. I'm also thinking you might be better off using different drums for the verse parts, since the snare sounds like it should be very big, but its just quiet around those parts.
I seem to get comments like this a lot. But they never give me tips on how to fix it. In fact, the whole "Drum doesn't fit with the song" thing confuses me a lot. I would appreciate it if you would go into more detail about what possibly could be done to fix this.

I feel the pattern is repeated too often without any variation.
I get this a lot too. How often do I really need to mix up the patterns to get a non-boring song?
itroitnyah

Postby eery » 26 Jul 2014 04:57

itroitnyah wrote:
I seem to get comments like this a lot. But they never give me tips on how to fix it. In fact, the whole "Drum doesn't fit with the song" thing confuses me a lot. I would appreciate it if you would go into more detail about what possibly could be done to fix this.

Fatten up your drums with compression, layering and eq. Also EQ everything in order to make up space for them, like mixing is a room and everything should have a place in your room. In dubstep, you're VERY reliant on your drums, esspeccially the kick, your kick should be your loudest element usually, in dancy heavy music like this anyways. Sidechaining can be very good too.

I feel the pattern is repeated too often without any variation.
I get this a lot too. How often do I really need to mix up the patterns to get a non-boring song

It really depends. It's not a set number, or the same for every track. Some tracks are able to keep up a minimal loop for 2 minutes are still able to keep up intrest. Honestly, it's not much thats needed, often its just enough to put a different note on the last beat of a bar for instance. It's more of an "adjust to taste" question, that I can't really explain, I'm afraid.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby itroitnyah » 26 Jul 2014 08:13

Alright, well thanks. four
itroitnyah