<Poni><Original><Ambient>(FoE) The World Behind Closed Steel

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<Poni><Original><Ambient>(FoE) The World Behind Closed Steel

Postby Jokeblue » 11 Apr 2014 09:51

Ok! So this is my first attempt at making ambient type music! It was a lot of fun and very different to what I normally make. There was so much experimenting with sounds. This was done as a Uni assignment in my composition techniques classes where we had to come up with a notation system and then record a song based off of that. My notation thing was 'Narrative Notation', in which I wrote a short descriptive story and composed around it (went pretty well, got 9.2 out of 10 for it :3). Though the story does not directly follow Fallout: Equestria's opening as I had to write something original, my main inspiration in composing and all I could really think of was Littlepip emerging from the vault for the first time to see what awaits her in the world behind closed steel. And so, have the short story for this composition.

Spoiler Part I -- The Ascent and the Door:
I surveyed the set of metal stairs that led up to the entrance of the Vault, still unused to the eerie atmosphere even after all these years. The ever present hum of the overhead lights whirring on without end; the occasional plop, plop of water leaks; the echoing reverberance of clangs and pipes; all seeming to echo on eternally within the bunker's metal walls. With slight trepidation, I ascended the steel steps to the entrance, my footsteps ringing out to join the rest of the ambiance. My heart beat a little faster as I reached nearer and nearer. Finally reaching the top, I pulled the large power switch, listening to the falling whir of the main power supply shutting off and redirecting to the great steel door that sealed me safely away from whatever may await above.
The large door scraped and ground against the concrete structuring and rubble as it slowly forced itself, just barely, to the side. The tunnel behind lead on ahead to a wooden door, and as I brought myself to walk through the gravel it was as if the world was falling silent -- The humming of the lights and the ambiance of the Vault died away as the gravel beneath my feet and my rising heart beat seemed to clog my auditory senses. The old wooden door at the end of my path protested with a large creaky groan as I pressed against it. Leaning my weight against the door and pushing hard, the woodwork gave way and splintered open, parts of the frame collapsing as the door slammed open against the rock wall. Almost falling out onto the ground, I felt my heart stop as I beheld the world behind closed steel for the first time...

Spoiler Part II -- The World Behind Closed Steel:
The wind blew heavily as I looked, from the ledge of a crumbling building, out across the city the former residents of my Vault would have called home, many generations ago. The city was blackened, mostly leveled, though a few fires still burned among its walls. Morning, day, evening, it was all indistinguishable under the ever-present grey of the cloud-cover. Far in the distance, a fire fight could be heard -- the short bursts of machine gun fire carried by the wind. The whole land seemed to cry out in anguished song, rising up from the ground into the eternally stretching grey-black clouds, the winds carrying with this mourning tune the harrowing voices of lost souls, who cried out with one voice in lament for the one who had emerged from the door on the mountain side and ventured forth towards the city, and the world she had come to find. A tin-can rattled and rolled by along the rock face, and far off in the distance there was a muffled explosion -- the gun fire ceasing soon after. Though I looked across the haunting reality of the world lost to nuclear war in a time long before my life, I did not wish to turn back.
The mourning voice of the wasteland above me, I trudged down the mountain slope, into the world behind closed steel.

Now to steal Callenby's style of posting in this topic-
1 - Did you like it?
2 - Is there anything I could have done better with it?

Spoiler A message for Guthey if he sees this:
(Guthey if by chance you see this please know that your review for my other song Dawnbreaker (the Death metal WIP) really really helped and I've been able to fix a lot of the problems I had with it, but I havent had the time to keep working on it and update the thread so I might update it when I have something a little more substantial than little error fixes.)
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice