Forgotten Fields - Guitarskills

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Forgotten Fields - Guitarskills

Postby guitarskills » 22 Nov 2011 23:25

I'm sorry if this isn't how I go about posting music, have not actually done it before.

So I made a classical song a few weeks ago, and thought I'd post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sjxim7bcGk
guitarskills

Re: Forgotten Fields - Guitarskills

Postby LunchBagMusic » 23 Nov 2011 00:27

There's some really great bits of music in there. Especially the harpsichord (it is a harpsichord, isn't it?). I find the harsh quality of the harpsichord difficult to tame.

First of all, what samples/sound sets are you using? Some of the sounds in there are nice.

Secondly, I read in the comments that you are looking for critique, so here's my two cents:

Orchestral Music is brilliant because it can be so different. A lot of people today take orchestral to be strings + piano + drums. Which is a nice sound on its own, but it gets boring. Which brings me to my point. There are twelve different, core sounds that can come from orchestral pieces. These are accompanied by countless percussion and melodic percussion elements. Plus you can bring in your own unique sounds (Don't get me wrong, I still consider this to be orchestral music, there's just a whole world of bassoons and horns that I rarely see out there). AAAND the real joy comes from combining them in exciting ways.

One of the main things that drives an orchestral piece is its contrast. While the minimal style of your work doesn't call for much contrast, it still needs to be there. Perhaps change the high pizz. string notes to arco high string notes, or change the length of some notes (ie staccato vs legato). It keeps the mood of the piece while altering the way its delivered.

Admittedly, a lot of this contrast comes out in live performance, but the elements of good contrast can still be made out on a computer playback.

But don't stress. Its got good roots, and that is all you need. Practice is the answer. Practice Practice Practice.

-
tl;dr: There's a whole orchestra out there. Don't be afraid to use it. Subtly change the piece to evoke contrast. Great musical ideas in the piece, though.
LunchBagMusic

Re: Forgotten Fields - Guitarskills

Postby guitarskills » 23 Nov 2011 11:49

Thanks! Part of it is from Edirol Orchestral, and some of the stuff is from some soundfonts posted by a user here.

Oh, wow, typing in "free soundfonts deviant art" got it firts link. I guess these must be good.

http://the-filmmusic-group.deviantart.com/journal/Free-HQ-Orchestra-Soundfonts-224143947

Also, I don't plan on doing just orchestral. I do see your points, and will try them out sometime. Hopefully I'll be really creative on that day :P
guitarskills

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice