The Discord Beat

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

The Discord Beat

Postby PhillyPu » 19 Oct 2011 00:10

I knew I had to sample Discord when he did his evil laughters. Man. I love them. They're so percussive. I can sit here and listen to them loop over and over again.

Heavily inspired by Alex S.'s dubstep songs, along with Eurobeat Pony's Discord (Eurochaos Mix). I hope I did (some) justice to my inspirations!

I'm still fairly new to the music production scene, so critiques and comments are very, very welcome.
PhillyPu

Re: The Discord Beat

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 19 Oct 2011 01:24

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, wow, this is really good! And you say you're new to the music production scene? I reckon you'll be going far if this is one of your first tries!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Interrobang Pie » 19 Oct 2011 07:06

That's certainly not bad. At all.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby PhillyPu » 19 Oct 2011 10:10

@Dr Dissonance: Thank you! I'm new in that I didn't know about the genre of dubstep until a month ago, and I didn't know anything about the production of it until about a week ago. I produced music on/off for a year now, though mostly by improvisation in piano and guitar. This song is like, my second/third real trial into electronic music production (automations and loops and synths, oh my). I'm really looking forward to learning from everyone on the forum, because, well, I've so much to learn. :D

@Interrobang Pie: Thanks!
PhillyPu

Postby PiercingSight » 20 Oct 2011 15:33

PhillyPu wrote:I knew I had to sample Discord when he did his evil laughters. Man. I love them. They're so percussive. I can sit here and listen to them loop over and over again.

Heavily inspired by Alex S.'s dubstep songs, along with Eurobeat Pony's Discord (Eurochaos Mix). I hope I did (some) justice to my inspirations!

I'm still fairly new to the music production scene, so critiques and comments are very, very welcome.

First: Welcome!
Second: I love discords laughs too! <3
Third: You used them perfectly. This made me smile :)

Doin' great for your first dub, keep it up!
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Postby Versilaryan » 20 Oct 2011 16:17

You did a good job! I liked that really fast, high, flighty line. What VST did you use for the wubs?

Two things you could've done better, though, were one, to add more beef to the kick drum, and two, vary the wub speeds to make some more interesting patterns. Try using a beefier kick drum with more attack to it, to start. Then, apply an EQ to the bass drum and remove some of the mids. Keeping the highs lets the kick drum's attack be heard.
Then, stick a compressor on it to give it more of a presence.

Varying the wub speeds is pretty self-explanatory. =P One of the big things about dubstep is that it uses a lot of weird rhythms and triplets to make the wubs more interesting!
Versilaryan

Postby PhillyPu » 20 Oct 2011 20:31

@Versilaryan: That's some very detailed advice right there! I'll be sure to play around with EQ settings for the drums. Looks like I've got some new things to play with for the next song (whatever it may be). I used Massive for the Wubs.
PhillyPu

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice