Griffin Village - Winter (Gilda)

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Griffin Village - Winter (Gilda)

Postby JackleApp » 10 Oct 2011 17:02

Oh shit.

The video description has a full description for this song. I won't make my post huge by copy-pasting it!

Have some lyrics:

Lyrics:

I once saw you running from them what did they do to you
They turned you into a fool, but you are nobody's fool
They took something special from you, something you would not release
Shed your tears and let them freeze, shed your tears and let them freeze.
They don't know you like I know you all those ponies are the same
I swear I won't go away, I swear I won't go away

There's a girl that I know
Feathers as white as our winter's blanket of snow
But I know But I know
Her heart is longing for someone to call her own
But she's all alone, alone

I'd love some thoughts/feedback/hate/etc. etc.!
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Re: Griffin Village - Winter (Gilda)

Postby Interrobang Pie » 10 Oct 2011 17:37

[obligatory omg it's jackleapp post]
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Stars In Autumn » 10 Oct 2011 18:25

Man, I thought about trying for a similar themed song, but there's no way I could get it that good. Just as good as Summer. Very impressive.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Darktrot » 10 Oct 2011 21:01

Wow...
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Makkon » 10 Oct 2011 22:50

Some of the best singing and instrumentation I've ever heard in this community.
I want to know how you go about composing songs like this.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby PiercingSight » 10 Oct 2011 23:14

Way to go Jackle. Your stuff is always quality. Great voice, great lyrics, two thumbs up :)

Lol, I'd sing in my songs but I'm too shy to solo. Plus, writing lyrics is a whole other art than writing poetry. :P
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Postby Versilaryan » 10 Oct 2011 23:28

Goddamn it, Jackle. You're making me want to remix EVERYTHING you do. That's not nice to everypony else who needs remixing. )=<

Purely IMO, I think it would've sounded really cool if during that vocal harmony section, you had some tighter harmonies (as in the notes are closer together). Owl City does that sort of thing a lot, and it's really effective for high emotional moments in the song.
Versilaryan

Postby JackleApp » 14 Oct 2011 14:55

Jeffthestrider wrote:Man, I thought about trying for a similar themed song, but there's no way I could get it that good. Just as good as Summer. Very impressive.

DJ_Spike wrote:Wow...

Makkon wrote:Some of the best singing and instrumentation I've ever heard in this community.
I want to know how you go about composing songs like this.

Thank you all so much! (Sorry for not responding to the thread sooner!) I really appreciate this. Especially coming from you Makkon ;D

PiercingSight wrote:Way to go Jackle. Your stuff is always quality. Great voice, great lyrics, two thumbs up :)

Lol, I'd sing in my songs but I'm too shy to solo. Plus, writing lyrics is a whole other art than writing poetry. :P

Thank you! If you're too shy to solo then multi-track some harmonies ;D Lyrics are easy to make if you set out with a concrete idea in mind when you start your song :) If you're good at poetry you'd be great at lyric-writing! It's just taking your poetry and making it fit a stricter metre than one may be accustomed to. I say go for it! We really don't have enough show-inspired songs with lyrics.

Versilaryan wrote:Goddamn it, Jackle. You're making me want to remix EVERYTHING you do. That's not nice to everypony else who needs remixing. )=<

Purely IMO, I think it would've sounded really cool if during that vocal harmony section, you had some tighter harmonies (as in the notes are closer together). Owl City does that sort of thing a lot, and it's really effective for high emotional moments in the song.

Don't remix me! Do your own vocal song :D I've heard your voice. It's fuckin' killer!
Tighter harmonies would have been pretty Owl-City-ish, but truth be told, with this song, I was going for more of a Coldplay style song (I totally jacked the whole "lets-just-use-a-bass-drum" thing from Viva La Vida) But when I go for more poppy style OC stuff again, I'll definitely keep that in mind :D
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Darktrot » 14 Oct 2011 16:24

Wat about some of us bronies (*cough* dragon *cough*) Who do not have the best voices in the world. I need vocalists. And which makes it very difficult for me. I have no vocalist of my own and i am certainly no vocalist. I tried Rakshema's Advice and as well as i can vocal chop from the show nothing quite compares to the raw written vocal's.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Versilaryan » 14 Oct 2011 21:59

^ If you make electronic music, you can always experiment with autotune or vocoders. There are also plenty of vocalists here on MLR that'd be happy to volunteer their time.
But this isn't the topic for that. =P

@Jackle: Fair enough. Looking forward to more!
Versilaryan

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice