<Pony><Original><Electronic> You Just Got Beat Up By a Pony

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<Pony><Original><Electronic> You Just Got Beat Up By a Pony

Postby Strat Attack » 21 Jul 2015 18:33

Greetings, friends! My name is Strat Attack. I'm a (relatively) new brony musician that's trying to get my music out there. Attached to this post is a YouTube link to my new song, "You Just Got Beat Up By a Pony." It is a hard-hitting electronic track with bits of Rainbow Dash show dialogue mixed in.

I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkuvYmjmgF4

And if you like what you hear, here's my SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/strat-attack
Strat Attack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: <Pony><Original><Electronic> You Just Got Beat Up By a P

Postby Thunder Dash » 21 Jul 2015 20:45

This was...an ok listen...

The one thing that this piece lacks is variance. You were basically stuck in the tonic key of c minor, which can be a big turn-off when it comes to electronic music. The least that could've been done was to hit the III chord, which is the relative major chord to the minor key you're in. In this case, it is E flat Major. Because your piece had 8-phrase sections (a phrase equaling 4 beats), it had a great amount of potential. The big mistake that was made was keeping the boundaries to c minor and c minor only.

Here are some progression suggestions. The hyphens represent the beats or how long the chord will last

Cm----Cm----EbM----Fm--Eb--Cm----

Cm----EbM----Fm----GM--F7--Cm----

In terms of the intro and outro, the intro could've started in a filter. This means that you turn up the envelope filter in your settings all the way up. At the beginning of the 5th phrase, you can start to sweep it out slowly. For a faster sweep, you can wait and start it in the 7th phrase. This way, you can lead in to the quote you placed in...speaking of the quotes...

Some of them were not quite necessary, especially the last two. Usually, when a quote is played, the music either dims or rises in intensity. However, it stayed the same, which is a big no-no. I suggest only using 2 quotes. If you're going to use 3, you will have adjust dynamics of the piece. You may have to sweep it into a filter after a quote, and to prepare for the final quote, sweep it out of the filter.

In terms of the content of the quotes, I suggest you put the quote "I am the Iron Pony!" for the first quote. For the second, when you change dynamics, you should put a more softer quote, meaning not as intense as the first. The second quote you chose doesn't really go with the piece. "Oh you wanna do this the hard way? We'll do this the hard way!" is a quote that's more suitable for a rock/metal song. It doesn't really go with the overall attitude of this piece. Maybe the quote where Rainbow goes "Kazzam!" can go better because the music will sweep into the filter, getting soft. For the final quote, you can put the clip where Rainbow goes "Awwww yeah!" Or simply, wait until the music has faded and then put the quote that I suggested just now.

Overall, this piece has a ton of potential. I just feel that it hardly was used. Keep at it and you'll get better over time!
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Strat Attack » 21 Jul 2015 21:14

I sincerely appreciate your tips. Thank you! The program I use for my music making is GarageBand for iPad so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do much else with this. But again your pointers are greatly appreciated.

Plus I don't know too much about music. I just put things together and say "Hey that sounds good." Lol.
Strat Attack

Postby Thunder Dash » 22 Jul 2015 09:17

Strat Attack wrote:I sincerely appreciate your tips. Thank you! The program I use for my music making is GarageBand for iPad so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do much else with this. But again your pointers are greatly appreciated.

Plus I don't know too much about music. I just put things together and say "Hey that sounds good." Lol.

Well...I must tell you...it may sound good to you...but not to others.

I'd like to offer you some coaching in music theory. This way, your songs will come out way better.
Thunder Dash

Postby Strat Attack » 22 Jul 2015 10:17

I appreciate your offer, but I mainly put songs together for fun or for something to pass the time. I'm not really interested in furthering my knowledge in the area of music theory at the current time. I'm currently working on becoming a writer. I just do this music stuff on the side. But really thanks again for your offer!
Strat Attack

Postby Thunder Dash » 23 Jul 2015 12:36

Strat Attack wrote:I appreciate your offer, but I mainly put songs together for fun or for something to pass the time. I'm not really interested in furthering my knowledge in the area of music theory at the current time. I'm currently working on becoming a writer. I just do this music stuff on the side. But really thanks again for your offer!

No prob dude.
Thunder Dash

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice