<non-pony><Future Bass> - Strolling

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<non-pony><Future Bass> - Strolling

Postby Guthey » 04 May 2015 02:56

https://soundcloud.com/guthey/stroll-1

Hey, so I haven't been around here in a while but I thought I'd just post this here and see if I can get any feedback?

I was just messing around with Fl 12 to get used to it and in the process I made this. I tried to go for a future bass style or something like that, but I'm still new the genre so if anyone knows a thing or two about it that could give me some tips that'd be cool.

Other than that, any sort of nit-picks with this? It's not a full song, so don't say it's too short because I know that.

Anything out of whack? Mixing sucks? Just terrible? Any words at all would help alot actually. I've been working on melody writing so tell me if i'm doing okay on that, it frustrates the hell out of me when I can't write a melody so any tips would be cool. Same goes for making a decent beat, any advice or feedback on the beat would be totally sick.

not really anything specific I want anyone to look at other than what I already mentioned, just a critique or some words is what I'm looking for.
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
Guthey

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Re: <non-pony><Future Bass> - Strolling

Postby Facade » 04 May 2015 09:27

this is really nice i would love to hear a full version of this
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Totalspark » 04 May 2015 15:14

There is certainly more happening than in a general Future Bass track. Future Bass artists tend to focus more on the complexity of the chord structure/progression rather than making the song interesting. You've done a good job of making it interesting.

I will say one thing is that it gets weirdly quiet for a couple seconds at 30 seconds. But that's probably just a final mastering thing to look at. Other than that, as Facade said, I would indeed enjoy a full version of this.
Totalspark

Primary: Fl Studio 20
Cutie Mark: blank

Postby Guthey » 04 May 2015 16:22

Totalspark wrote:There is certainly more happening than in a general Future Bass track. Future Bass artists tend to focus more on the complexity of the chord structure/progression rather than making the song interesting. You've done a good job of making it interesting.

I will say one thing is that it gets weirdly quiet for a couple seconds at 30 seconds. But that's probably just a final mastering thing to look at. Other than that, as Facade said, I would indeed enjoy a full version of this.

Quite contrary, if you are using speakers then it is simply hard to hear because there is a highpass / lowpass filter. But i will see if I can make that louder.

Also, thanks for the comment, it means alot.
Guthey

Postby Guthey » 04 May 2015 16:27

Facade wrote:this is really nice i would love to hear a full version of this

Currently I'm pretty busy with some other things, but If you really want to hear me finish this then I will by next week.

Thanks for your comment also, it really means alot.
Guthey

Postby Totalspark » 04 May 2015 16:53

Ahh, yea, it didn't really sound like a filter to me. Makes sense though.
Totalspark

Primary: Fl Studio 20
Cutie Mark: blank

Postby eery » 04 May 2015 19:02

Eyo future bass, like my favorite genre,I tend to lend myself more to a more neon sound (pusher, waveracer,lido) but I'll try my best to give you some pointers on this.

I would say this is deffo good, I could groove to it. But overrall it feels a bit weak still, if you know what I mean? I like the chords a lot, but overral I feel its missing like a lead, like a lead instrument. For what you have planned for arrangement, it seems sweet, as long as you can make like a "verse part" and a "chorus part" that dont sound like too much of the same.

at 0:13, when it "drops" or whatever, I sorta expect something more to happen, since you have that one sound going like bweeeeeooooow. It just sorta makes me expect something heavier, something more of a lead element. Im also not a fan of how you remove the gating so quick, I feel that could have stayed on a bit.

I really like the pauses it does awhere it throw in like the additivesounding bass.

0:17 - the vocal "swoah" - put a delay on that for maximum swag.

The ambientlike breakdown part is nice, like the strings a lot.

mixwise: It all sounds a bit weak, the bass needs to be louder, and have a bity more grit, maybe layer it with like a midrange/lower highs synth. Snare deffo needs more punch, the kick as well drows a bit, more sidechain I would say. The plucky synths, I feel they need to be sharper, like around the 2000hz area, they need more movement up there. The same goes for the vocal sounding things, they're sorta just there.

Dont be afraid to cut out elements for like a few beats just to make one thing more prominent just then, it seems really common in the style you're going for.

Its also a bit muddy since there is a lot of reverb on everything. I dunno what plugin you're using, but a lot of them (I know fl reverb 2 does this) you can put like a highpass on only the reverb signal, so you avoid a lot of the mud.

I know I've written a lot of stuff that could be taken negatively, but these are pointers, and I think you did way more good than bad with this piece, and Im looking forward to hearing a more fleshed out piece. Hope this helps!
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby Facade » 04 May 2015 19:39

Guthey wrote:
Facade wrote:this is really nice i would love to hear a full version of this

Currently I'm pretty busy with some other things, but If you really want to hear me finish this then I will by next week.

Thanks for your comment also, it really means alot.

not a problem im just trying to leave as much feedback as possible so this place goes back to when people would help people with music
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Guthey » 04 May 2015 22:37

eery wrote:Eyo future bass, like my favorite genre,I tend to lend myself more to a more neon sound (pusher, waveracer,lido) but I'll try my best to give you some pointers on this.

I would say this is deffo good, I could groove to it. But overrall it feels a bit weak still, if you know what I mean? I like the chords a lot, but overral I feel its missing like a lead, like a lead instrument. For what you have planned for arrangement, it seems sweet, as long as you can make like a "verse part" and a "chorus part" that dont sound like too much of the same.

at 0:13, when it "drops" or whatever, I sorta expect something more to happen, since you have that one sound going like bweeeeeooooow. It just sorta makes me expect something heavier, something more of a lead element. Im also not a fan of how you remove the gating so quick, I feel that could have stayed on a bit.

I really like the pauses it does awhere it throw in like the additivesounding bass.

0:17 - the vocal "swoah" - put a delay on that for maximum swag.

The ambientlike breakdown part is nice, like the strings a lot.

mixwise: It all sounds a bit weak, the bass needs to be louder, and have a bity more grit, maybe layer it with like a midrange/lower highs synth. Snare deffo needs more punch, the kick as well drows a bit, more sidechain I would say. The plucky synths, I feel they need to be sharper, like around the 2000hz area, they need more movement up there. The same goes for the vocal sounding things, they're sorta just there.

Dont be afraid to cut out elements for like a few beats just to make one thing more prominent just then, it seems really common in the style you're going for.

Its also a bit muddy since there is a lot of reverb on everything. I dunno what plugin you're using, but a lot of them (I know fl reverb 2 does this) you can put like a highpass on only the reverb signal, so you avoid a lot of the mud.

I know I've written a lot of stuff that could be taken negatively, but these are pointers, and I think you did way more good than bad with this piece, and Im looking forward to hearing a more fleshed out piece. Hope this helps!

Thanks a bunch for the advice, I knew something was off with the mixing but I couldn't seem to know what. Mixing is usually where I focus most of my attention, I guess I just was took focused on it I couldn't hear what was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
One thing I struggle with so hard is a lead, just can't quite make one fit. But I will try my hardest to make one in this.
The pluck is actually the nylon guitar in kontakt. I'll see it I can fix that also.
Thanks again for the constructive comment, it really means alot.
Guthey

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice