<Pony><Indie>Indie Rock Song 01<xFwo>

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<Pony><Indie>Indie Rock Song 01<xFwo>

Postby Kawaii » 15 Feb 2015 01:47

Hey guys, so I make a LOT of rock music, and almost all of them are inspired by the show, but none of them have vocals.
This track shows off my mixing and mastering abilities pretty well, as with everything off this track is muddier than AJ after a rain day on the farm <3.

https://soundcloud.com/xfwo/indie-rock-song-01

If anyone wants to add vocals to it, go for it! I'll send you anything related. Anyway here's my question:
Does instrumental rock have a place among the fandom? It's not even popular normally but without a dedicated vocalist and until I get my Melodic Screamo/Post-Hardcore stuff finished for an EP, I won't be on vocals. (I scream and such, not really a clean vocalist)
Kawaii

Primary: FL Studio 11 Ultimate
Cutie Mark: Drumset

Re: <Pony><Indie>Indie Rock Song 01<xFwo>

Postby Freewave » 15 Feb 2015 11:16

This sounds pretty good for a start. As you said there's a bit of reverb on the guitar and you need to get the drums to be more compressed and fuller (especially on low end where it is very missing). You also really need to get a bass added to fill out the lower end. It would be great for you to collab with a vocalist who could take it the next step as instrumental rock IS possible to get included as part of the fandom given the right back story but vocals to this would make it a whole lot better. .
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Kawaii » 15 Feb 2015 23:41

Thank you! Coming from someone like you even a small compliment means a lot.
Yeah the I tried to keep the bass guitar a bit more relaxed as opposed to standing out in the open, but it could be picked up a little bit. I'll throw an Ozone on my drums to make them pop a bit more, and I'm not sure if you're saying take the reverb off or add more? I mean, I added some reverb to the guitar, but this whole track was an experience so maybe I got a bit carried away. I don't have decent monitors so it's hard to tell sometimes.
Kawaii

Postby Freewave » 16 Feb 2015 16:23

The guitars have a fair amount of reverb in contrast with everything else (so lower it a tad). Adding a bit more bass to your bass and compressing your drums to make them have more of a presence should even everything out.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby GhostXb » 18 Feb 2015 00:28

I'd say the guitar takes up a little too much space. Lowering the reverb might help, but you might also try boosting an EQ band and sweeping it to find any annoying frequencies, and then scoop that band. This may help give the mix more breathing room.

One thing I picked up from watching interviews with Chris Lord-Alge is that you should first adjust the levels of the mix buses before anything else to balance things out, and mix at a low volume, both in the DAW to give you more room to work with, and with speakers/headphone to give you more perspective. Mixing at a low volume makes it easier to focus on whats important (plus its easier on the ears).

Hope that helps.
GhostXb

Postby Kawaii » 18 Feb 2015 06:45

Thanks Ghost, Yeah I know all of that, and I mix at lower volumes (about a 1/3 what I normally listen to). Yeah I try to keep my mixing to fader controls and EQ for the most part, I rarely use compression on anything that has natural drums (No real reason, just not use to it). The newer mixdown sounds better, I'll upload it sometime after I wake up.

Doing stuff with real instruments is a lot different than EDM... I don't know if it's how I layer my sounds and my approach but I've been doing this for three years with EDM and my mixes sound clean (not great, but good). But as soon as I hit live instruments it goes to s***.

Anybody have some good tutorials maybe? In depth, not basic stuff. Again when I wake up i'll check and youtube some stuff myself XD.
Kawaii

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice