<pony><original><electro-baroque>Dark Fancy

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<pony><original><electro-baroque>Dark Fancy

Postby Thunder Dash » 14 Jan 2015 09:06

This is a theme that I debuted last Nightmare Night. It is a Nightmare Rarity Boss battle theme based off of Iggy Azalea's "Fancy". This idea came, after the main bassline of the chorus stayed stuck in my head. After hearing the lyrics of the chorus, I decided that Nightmare Rarity/Insane Rarity was the perfect fit for this piece. I ended up using the d phrygian dominant mode in this piece, which proved to add to the mysteriousness and sinisterness of this piece. It also gave an Indian type of feel to it. Anyway, without further ado, here's "Dark Fancy".

https://soundcloud.com/thunder-dash-alternative/dark-fancy
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Re: <pony><original><electro-baroque>Dark Fancy

Postby Armystuntman » 14 Jan 2015 13:40

I'll say this... A very unusual choice for a melody. But I guess it sort of fits, considering they're both, uh, "Fancy."

While it's not really hectic enough to be a boss-theme, it does sound like a "Villain reveal" kind of BGM. If you want it to be more of a boss-theme, try adding some instruments playing some quick arpeggios or something, some percussion would've helped too. Though I do like 1:48's sudden attack (even though the harpsichord is too loud) and it sounds like a boss theme until the climax 2:18, then it sounds like the scene's faded into black. I guess this really is more of a BGM incidental piece more than a boss theme per se.

I do like the pizzicato at the side there, gives a nice dark slightly goofy feeling (though i remember being told that having a pizzicato glissando 0:35 is bad or unrealistic, i dunno if it also applies here. If you wanna cheat, replace any pizzicato glissandros you want to do with a harp. at least i think it's called a glissandro. well, not exactly, uh whatever).
The harpsichord is a little loud compared to, uh, everything, though I like it's composition (though it does sound a little off when it goes into the really low pitches, but that still adds to the evily-ness.)

If there was a low string to the left (not sure if I heard one), it should most likely be on the right.

Personally, I like how synthy and low the harpsichord is. It just sounds so evil.

In conclusion, it sounds nice, just gotta decrease that harpsichord's volume, or at least control it a bit. Me likey.

I also really like the ending for some reason (though it'd be nice if the wave faded gradually.)
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Postby Thunder Dash » 14 Jan 2015 14:01

Armystuntman wrote:I'll say this... A very unusual choice for a melody. But I guess it sort of fits, considering they're both, uh, "Fancy."

While it's not really hectic enough to be a boss-theme, it does sound like a "Villain reveal" kind of BGM. If you want it to be more of a boss-theme, try adding some instruments playing some quick arpeggios or something, some percussion would've helped too. Though I do like 1:48's sudden attack (even though the harpsichord is too loud) and it sounds like a boss theme until the climax 2:18, then it sounds like the scene's faded into black. I guess this really is more of a BGM incidental piece more than a boss theme per se.

I do like the pizzicato at the side there, gives a nice dark slightly goofy feeling (though i remember being told that having a pizzicato glissando 0:35 is bad or unrealistic, i dunno if it also applies here. If you wanna cheat, replace any pizzicato glissandros you want to do with a harp. at least i think it's called a glissandro. well, not exactly, uh whatever).
The harpsichord is a little loud compared to, uh, everything, though I like it's composition (though it does sound a little off when it goes into the really low pitches, but that still adds to the evily-ness.)

If there was a low string to the left (not sure if I heard one), it should most likely be on the right.

Personally, I like how synthy and low the harpsichord is. It just sounds so evil.

In conclusion, it sounds nice, just gotta decrease that harpsichord's volume, or at least control it a bit. Me likey.

I also really like the ending for some reason (though it'd be nice if the wave faded gradually.)

Hey! Thanks for the review. And yeah, the harpsichord does seem off in the lower sections...due to the fact that soucloud's a jerk by compressing the file even though I exported it as an mp3.

I noticed you stated that low strings should be panned to the right. To me, I feel that panning the bass to the right gives a sort of "imbalance" to the ears. I don't mind mid and upper frequencies to be slightly panned. And yeah, that harpsichord sample is pretty loud. Should've lowered it in my mixer.

That little motive you heard around 0:38 was actually a 16th-note triplet ascending A dominant 7th arpeggio. I normally add these little triplet arpeggios to my pizzicato strings.

Thanks for the review!
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Armystuntman » 14 Jan 2015 14:03

Ah, well, I only said that the low strings should be on the right because that's how they're normally positioned in an orchestra, but this isn't exactly an exact replica of an orchestra, so nevermind.
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice