<Orchestral><Fan OST> Spike at your Service, a fake game

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<Orchestral><Fan OST> Spike at your Service, a fake game

Postby Armystuntman » 04 Jan 2015 14:40

To quote my video;
"A friend and I once had an idea of making a game where you play as Spike, taking care of his friends as he usually does. It would have had the mane six, all with pre-depositions towards activities that you could do with them. The activities would range from small things like hugging and petting to hoof-ball to making race tracks for the ponies to run past, or to save animals by telling the ponies where the animals in trouble were. However, we quickly scrapped the idea since my friend had other things to do, but three tracks from the project remain, so I thought I'd upload them."

Like my Rainbow Factory-based songs, these songs are based on an imaginary game that doesn't exist. Unlike that set however, this isn't based on popular fan music, but rather original music sometimes mixed with melodies from the show. They're also songs that I had spent more time on, but these songs had received much less attention since they aren't just copy-cat remakes of other songs, so I decided to post them here. (I shouldn't forget that I'm also a bad amateur digital composer like many others which flood the masses of brony music.)

Overall, all these songs are meant to be loopable and hopefully not disastrous on the ears.

Track 1 - Main Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrPbw8rdpc
Considering this was meant to be a slow paced theme, the track is slow to slowly invite the player to the game. I didn't intend it to sound sad though, just calm. (Something I rarely compose, heh heh...)

Track 2 - Pinkie Pie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA6hJEPAciM
Since Pinkie Pie was planned to be the first due to being the easiest to satisfy, I made a song to represent being with her outside of the activities. Mixing original melodies and the Cupcakes and Smile Smile Smile melodies to bring out the best of Pinkie Pie. I played around a lot with legatos and volume control at the Smile Smile Smile part to make it memorable as possible.

Track 3 - Hoofball/Pass the ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97EOZjfuKGo
One of the first activities planned, this naturally needed some sportive elements while still being kept with the cuteness of the show. There's a slap bass (Which I'm worried about becoming annoying to the right ear) switching between octaves, along with some typical percussion associated with sports, yet still keeping the overall orchestral and cutesy style. At least, I tried.

Track 4 - Underwater Mini-game (looped twice in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7DXWTWv9g
There's not much for me to say about this one. I put a lot of reverb to give that underwater feel, and using things like the electronic piano and such. Like Hoofball, there's no pony themes referenced in the melody. Also, there's a little test of a choir that I've always been scared to do, but I thought it'd be fitting there.

If you want to just comment/criticize on just one song, don't worry! I'm basically begging for criticism, especially negative criticism. The worst parts of being a composer is not knowing where you're going wrong and thinking you're on the right track, so please, shoot away with anything you feel is wrong with any of the tracks, how it could be fixed and the like, just blast away.
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Re: <Orchestral><Fan OST> Spike at your Service, a fake game

Postby GhostXb » 14 Jan 2015 00:50

I would have loved to play this game! Too bad it was scrapped :(

At first I pictured the game having an 8-bit vibe so I was kinda expecting chiptune. I don't think would be a bad idea, mixing chiptune and orchestral music :)

Not a big fan of the bass sound for hoofball though. Probably a matter of taste though, I hate that Seinfeld slap bass >:(

It does sound a little too reverby. I think depending on the mood your going for this could be a good thing, like Shadow of the Colossus's OST. But if it's a happy relaxing game as I imagine it would be, maybe more clean cartoony sounds would be more appropriate. That's just a matter of creative direction though. When listening to music meant for a game, I don't put as much emphasis on realism as much as the feel and mood the song gives. I think in this case you did a great job.
GhostXb

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice