<pony><orchestral><remix>Hi! and Under our spell remix

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<pony><orchestral><remix>Hi! and Under our spell remix

Postby Familiar Foreigner » 08 Dec 2014 02:56

Hello there. I'm an old-new member here - I tried getting into this community a while back, but I just couldn't keep up. I think I'd have trouble even if this was the only thing I kept track of. So as much as I'd like to read every thread here, I just... can't. I do hope to post my music, and get some feedback, but that's about it. Really sorry about that. Myabe I'll improve in the future.

So here's what I'd like to hear some opinions on. "Under our spell" was great, so I found the best acapella I could and did a thing. All I know about music production is from the internet and gut, so understand (and point out) any noobish mistakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MPIWnDq_A
The thing that bugs me the most is the vocals here - there's just no clean acapella version of the song anywhere, so every now and then there's something from the original that gets in. The best I could do was cut the low frequencies so at least the drums aren't as noticeable and tried to divert the attention with some notes on the problem parts.
Other than that I don't even know if the mixing is any good, let alone fix it, and, maybe the most important, if the song is actually nice to listen to.

P.S. Don't say anything about the art. I did it, and I came to terms with regretting it only when it was too late.
Call me FF.
Familiar Foreigner

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Quill & G-cleff

Re: <pony><orchestral><remix>Hi! and Under our spell remix

Postby J Brew » 25 Dec 2014 07:33

I like your concept and this sounds good overall. I feel like this piece needs more dynamic contrast and some variation in the chord progressions but other than that, good job and keep it up!

P.S. I would highly suggest getting some books on music theory and learning that way too. Having at least a basic understanding (if not more) of music theory is very useful for any musician.
J Brew

Primary: Finale
Cutie Mark: Some abstract thing

Re: <pony><orchestral><remix>Hi! and Under our spell remix

Postby Familiar Foreigner » 27 Dec 2014 10:38

Thanks.
I'm self-by-internet taught, so I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic contrast. Can you explain it? I know chord progressions, though, and I'll work on it.

I learned some music theory (from a website, yes), but the most I got out of it is some basic understanding of scales. Books... usually don't work for me.
Call me FF.
Familiar Foreigner

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Quill & G-cleff

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice