Just a hop, skip, and a jump!

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Just a hop, skip, and a jump!

Postby R4VAGER » 03 Dec 2014 10:58

I just recently finished my track "Hop, Skip, and a Jump" with pinkie pie and twilight vocals from the episode "Dragonshy" if anypony wants to check it out :P Here's a youtube and a soundcloud link.
https://soundcloud.com/r4vager/hop-skip-and-a-jump
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4XTQhMBWY[/youtube]
"Insert signature here"
R4VAGER

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Wubz

Re: Just a hop, skip, and a jump!

Postby Injustrial » 03 Dec 2014 12:46

The first thing I'm noticing is that the kick is very overpowering. Everything sorta ducks under it and it eats away at a lot of the balance of the song. Your snares on the other hand are drowning way too fast in the mix. It's a problem I'm facing myself almost every single time, and you'd probably gain a lot by EQ'ing the drumkit better.

EQ in general seems to be the big issue here. There's a lot of mud in your lower end, the mids fight with each others and there's not much happening top-wise.

Try focusing your time on the drumkit first. EQ all the different parts into separate areas. Then add the bassline in. Make sure that it's in relation to the kick, carve out a place for the kick to shine through and be generous with your lowpass. Sidechain compress.

After taking care of this, route all your drums into two separate buses, apply heavy compression to one and little to none to the other. Mix together. This is called Parallel Compression / New York compression and is great on drumkits to bring out the boom while still keeping your transients.

Start layering in your synths and make sure that there-s a nice deep gap in the spectre of each of them to be filled with other elements. Decide which you want in the high end, vocals or synths. Carve out the others to fit.

The composition seems decent, with some funky rhythms and dancey melodies. It just upsets me a bit when potential is let down by the technical side of things. "Content over quality" is a mantra of mine, but polish does do a lot.

One last piece of nitpicking: The track ends before the waveform does. This upsets me greatly. If the end is too long, just automate the master volume to fade out.

Best tip of all time: Read this thread http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9792

I hope some of this has been of use
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Re: Just a hop, skip, and a jump!

Postby taZe » 20 Dec 2014 12:19

Injustrial wrote:The first thing I'm noticing is that the kick is very overpowering. Everything sorta ducks under it and it eats away at a lot of the balance of the song. Your snares on the other hand are drowning way too fast in the mix. It's a problem I'm facing myself almost every single time, and you'd probably gain a lot by EQ'ing the drumkit better.

EQ in general seems to be the big issue here. There's a lot of mud in your lower end, the mids fight with each others and there's not much happening top-wise.

Try focusing your time on the drumkit first. EQ all the different parts into separate areas. Then add the bassline in. Make sure that it's in relation to the kick, carve out a place for the kick to shine through and be generous with your lowpass. Sidechain compress.

After taking care of this, route all your drums into two separate buses, apply heavy compression to one and little to none to the other. Mix together. This is called Parallel Compression / New York compression and is great on drumkits to bring out the boom while still keeping your transients.

Start layering in your synths and make sure that there-s a nice deep gap in the spectre of each of them to be filled with other elements. Decide which you want in the high end, vocals or synths. Carve out the others to fit.

The composition seems decent, with some funky rhythms and dancey melodies. It just upsets me a bit when potential is let down by the technical side of things. "Content over quality" is a mantra of mine, but polish does do a lot.

One last piece of nitpicking: The track ends before the waveform does. This upsets me greatly. If the end is too long, just automate the master volume to fade out.

Best tip of all time: Read this thread http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9792

I hope some of this has been of use

While I agree with most of your post, I think the compression could be laid off on.
Anyways though, the track is super muddy on low ends of the audio spectrum while the kick overpowers the mids and highs of the track making everything sound jumbled. The supersaw doesn't really fit in there to be honest with you either.
taZe

Primary: FL Studio 12.1
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice