New Song out!

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

New Song out!

Postby HoztileManikyn » 22 Nov 2014 20:09

Here, I would like a review of this please. I expect full honesty (don't worry, I've got thick skin) Just be logical with your criticism.

http://soundcloud.com/hoztil/empty-eternal-darkness-remix

BTW, the seamingly redundant link below is a link to my main page

Enjoy :grin:
At First I was like (C:) , but then I was like (D:)
https://www.soundcloud.com/hoztil

Follow me on Twitter @HoztileManikyn
Email: [email protected]
HoztileManikyn

Primary: FL Studio, Audacity
Cutie Mark: Three radial bass clefs

Re: New Song out!

Postby HoztileManikyn » 27 Nov 2014 01:23

Forgive me, I'm not familiar with said procedure, I'm more than happy to do so, (BTW) what did you think of the song? :P

HoztileManikyn

Postby senntenial » 28 Nov 2014 22:43

Hey! Just letting you know, if you have a song title, make sure to post it along with any other info you think is fitting.

I gave this a listen on my laptop speakers, so I can't exactly criticize the mix ATM. Composition is pretty cool - a little generic, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it. My biggest issue was the "loudness". I think you made the elements a little too loud for this style. Next time I think you should leave a little more room to be more expressive, since this isn't exactly a full EDM type song to me.

Listen to the mix a couple days afterwards, and see if all of the instrument volumes sound good. If something stands out, make sure that's a deliberate decision.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby HoztileManikyn » 28 Nov 2014 23:49

well, I use studio headphones that are very balanced EQ wise, and I seem to have a handicap with determining the genres of the songs i produce.
So I can't really argue with that, but I see what you getting at. The instruments all seem to work together on my end, and no real volume issues, but then again, I do use Sausage fattener, Stereo Shaper, two Maximus, and a limiter with my mastering.

HoztileManikyn

Postby eery » 29 Nov 2014 00:09

HoztileManikyn wrote: I do use Sausage fattener with my mastering.

wh...why? you shouldnt do that, you know?

why on the master? you have no control with it, it saturates the sound, and takes away from it. Like I get using it on a channel, but whywhywhy the master?

You dont need two maximuses either, there is no way you need to compress an already compressed signal. Just do a proper job of it in the first one to begin with.

You should put these things on your sounds, to saturate and colour them, in order to make a more intresting soundimage. You want your sounds to be like people Sounds , Give them different characters, and let them tell you about themselves. I.e. use the same sound for different tasks.

Listening to it, your composition isnt too bad, its a bit repetive, and it never lets up for a break which I feel it sorely needs. But its not a bad song, as the song itself seems to go.

But the main problem lies in that sounds are so compressed and destroyed (in a bad way) that I lose enjoyment in it. You're lacking like your entire midrange frequency space!

Theres no shame in not doing mastering when you're starting up, you know?

Your basses seem to be a bit everywhere, and they dont seem to be in key with the rest of the song either.

My biggest complaint is with the drums, which are complettely drowned out, and the kick seems to have some reverb effect, althought it wouldnt surprise me if you didnt put any on, and the master channel did this to it.

I would normally suggest to learn sidechaining for the kick, and use it on a few on the elements, to let the mix breathe a little, but theres no way to know if you did this or not, since the track is compressed to death, so any sidechaining would have come undone anyways.

I'm really not trying to put you down here, since as I mentioned, I think I like the baseidea for the song, but the mix and the master needs to be complettely redone, I would think.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby HoztileManikyn » 29 Nov 2014 00:18

one is for slight compression (sight just to prevent clipping, the other is for EQ, saturation, and boosting) Maybe I overdo it a bit :grin: but it usually turns out pretty well, however I can see your point.

I really need to research mastering techniques more.

HoztileManikyn

Postby HoztileManikyn » 29 Nov 2014 00:30

Yeah, I really did overdo the compression on this one, but I only worked on it for about 6 hours collectively, ( I was on a very stringent schedule as I had to go to drill that day) If given enough time, I'll definitely remaster it. (I as well am disappointed in the drums)

HoztileManikyn

Postby senntenial » 29 Nov 2014 01:33

HoztileManikyn wrote:well, I use studio headphones that are very balanced EQ wise, and I seem to have a handicap with determining the genres of the songs i produce.

I might be reading you incorrectly here, but just a general word of advice to everyone - never to categorize yourself into a certain genre of music or try to emulate a certain genre (unless for technical purposes). I used to sit down and think to myself "Okay, I want a chill IDM song", and whenever I tried for that goal, my song sounded awful and forced. Most times, my projects will vary a great deal from my initial push, and as a result flourish with my own style.

Also, you'll never need more than one instance of maximus! You can destroy a song with but one alone :grin: if you feel like you need a little more compression, go to the master and drag up the curve. Also, try not to use the default settings (not saying you did) because they sound poor. I'm not a master at mastering, but I think you should aim for the area before you start to chop of peaks and hear distortion - and compress even lower if you want drum transients and good dynamic shit like that.

It's also good practise to compare your song to a professionally done track of a similar genre so you can gauge your eqs or w/e
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Injustrial » 29 Nov 2014 03:38

senntenial wrote:Also, you'll never need more than one instance of maximus! You can destroy a song with but one alone :grin: if you feel like you need a little more compression, go to the master and drag up the curve. Also, try not to use the default settings (not saying you did) because they sound poor. I'm not a master at mastering, but I think you should aim for the area before you start to chop of peaks and hear distortion - and compress even lower if you want drum transients and good dynamic shit like that.

I'm so bad at mastering I don't even use Maximus at all. I've tried before, but multiband compression is just too much for me and the tracks end up sounding awful. Single compressor and soft clip is what I use and it seems to be doing the job.
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice