<Pony><Ambient><Original> Memories of The Sun

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<Pony><Ambient><Original> Memories of The Sun

Postby hunterz263 » 20 Oct 2014 08:56

Hello everypony,

This is an original song I wrote yesterday during boredom. I had some problems with the MIDI keyboard, but I fixed them early on. I just want to know if there is anything I should improve in the future.

Soundcloud: hunterz263
YouTube: gamer263

Audio Interface:
-Fractal Audio Axe-FX II XL

Guitars:
-Fender American Standard Stratocaster (Standard tuning)
-Fender American Standard Telecaster (Eb standard)
-Fender Squire Bullet Strat (Drop C#)
-Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013 (Drop D)
-Ibanez RGIR27FE (Drop A)
-Ibanez RGIR20FE (Drop A#)

Bass:
-Fender American Standard Precision Bass

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Re: <Pony><Ambient><Original> Memories of The Sun

Postby hunterz263 » 21 Oct 2014 21:04

Kyoga wrote:The typical pad-fade-in isn't something I'd recommend for starting an ambient song unless you were focusing on a drone atmosphere. That being said I feel that your placement of the guitar in this piece was actually very good. The piano on the other hand had an excellently timed beginning sequence, but then you started jumping to lots of individual chords. Few of these chords actually worked with your initial 'droning' bass.
I would suggest allowing your pads and guitars to either synchronize up with chords that are being played by the piano or take what the piano is doing and more closely relay what the guitar and pads are playing.

Apart from that my primary complaint is that the elements tend to be very repetitive in rhythm and progression. Honestly I'd just suggest taking another look at this song and determining how you could change it up. It could be something as simple as changing the chord progression throughout the song or even changing keys/basses.

If you have further questions feel free to contact me. :p

Thanks Kyoga! Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Ah, I see... I am still new to this, but in the future I will be sure to not use fading unless it is necessary. Honestly though, I knew the piano being repetitive would be an issue from the start, especially since it uses the same... six chords (and the chords are all exactly the same if you looked at the MIDI). Also, I thought the guitars would be a problem, but I guess not in this case!

Allowing my chords to match the droning bass. Alright. I figured those chords would work since they seemed like they fit in the scale, but I guess you are right. My friend did mention the piano sounded a bit dissonant which is something I did not want in this song.

Changing bass is something I am going to keep in mind now that you mention it.

Thank you so much for the feedback Kyoga! I would ask to add you on Skype, but... I am shy...

--hunterz263
Soundcloud: hunterz263
YouTube: gamer263

Audio Interface:
-Fractal Audio Axe-FX II XL

Guitars:
-Fender American Standard Stratocaster (Standard tuning)
-Fender American Standard Telecaster (Eb standard)
-Fender Squire Bullet Strat (Drop C#)
-Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013 (Drop D)
-Ibanez RGIR27FE (Drop A)
-Ibanez RGIR20FE (Drop A#)

Bass:
-Fender American Standard Precision Bass

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Re: <Pony><Ambient><Original> Memories of The Sun

Postby NightmareRare » 30 Oct 2014 14:47

Good song man! Your instruments worked well together. My main pointer to give here would also be on your pad, I sense what you are try to do with it was imply emotional atmosphere. Next time try pushing it to the back of the mix, that way it'll still provide the mix filling ambiance you want but not compete with you guitar and piano. Right now it sits more like a bass and as such when your chords move further away from its root the more there intervals will be interpreted as dissonance. Your timing and style of bringing in you guitar was very good! Keep up the good work man, I look forward to hearing more!
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice