<Pony><Original> Everfree Thunder [ACID TECHNO]

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

<Pony><Original> Everfree Thunder [ACID TECHNO]

Postby BassRabbit » 15 Oct 2014 00:35

"I'm not smart, I just have a good vocabulary."

------

DYNAMITE GRIZZLY (formerly known as Bass Rabbit)
BassRabbit

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electronic Anything

Re: <Pony><Original> Everfree Thunder [ACID TECHNO]

Postby Triple_B » 17 Oct 2014 14:51

Hey, alright, so;

0.00-0.13 - That sampled bit is really nice, I like it a lot. Your break is good too. All of them are, throughout the track.

0.13-1.02 - I'm not 100% sure what you're going for with this kick (Sample?) I've not seen a lot of Techno, at least not recently, with a kinda hardcore style kick drum. However, in that kind of style, I feel like you've done really well with it. Your mix appears to be pretty solid; based largely around the rest of the instruments complimenting the kick drum. I dig it, though I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the tribal drums that come it at 0.26, however. They appear to be panned rather extremely to the right. It could very well be personal taste, but I have a love-hate relationship with panned effects.

When the rest of the percussion kicks in at 0.37 or so, they sound fine because it sounds like you have some of that left-panned, and they get lost in the mix just enough to fill out the stereo field, a really nice effect overall! What I would try, if I were you, is automating the panning on those tribal drums that first kick in, (and play through 1.02-1.27 I think, when the kick slams back in again.) to a lesser degree. Maybe instead of say, them planning at R35/50, they could automate into being like, say, R12 or R15/50 until the rest of the percussion kicks in, and then with the stereo field suddenly becoming wider as they snap into R35/50 (or wherever you have them) would, (or should) create a really nice dynamic, I imagine. I dunno, its something I've employed myself a few times with mixed results; worth a shot, though! ^^

Your 303 sampley-loop thingy is really great, has a nice sequence & such, however I feel like when the resonance cranks up on the filter at about 1.50 & 2.15, etc, you might want to use a notch filter with a low Q/resonance to round out and tame that really high pitched trill just a little bit more. I can tell you did a little, and one reason I can think of that you might've left it like that is that it killed the rest of the sound too much. The answer is again, automation! Simply automate the gain on your EQ unit, (In FL Studio's Parametric EQ 2 this would be on the right side, accessed by right clicking on one of the band's long vertical bars) the gain coming down on those frequencies as the resonance comes up, and snapping back to a flat 0 once the resonance comes back down, and voila! A 303 screeching, with a tad less screech :3

Another thing I noticed, is that at about 1.50 when those pony samples come in, (which creates a lovely atmosphere, btw) you cannot understand anything anypony says. Though, it sounds as if this was intentional. So if it was, then I'd say leave it be! It sounds lovely, was just going to suggest some light compression and EQ to bring them through the mix to be heard clearly, but if the atmospheric effect you got was what you were going for, then good job; you did really well! :3!

Also; at 3.39 when that... it sounds like a Timpani kind of thing, or one of VEC4's samples of crowds stomping/clapping, comes in; it makes a bit of mud out of your mix and IMHO, kills the rockin' vibe you had going, at least for me. Its something to watch out for. It feels weird to my ears, and then cuts out very suddenly, almost like you forgot it was there in your pattern arrangement, heh.

Slight compositional tip for more dynamic; try scooping just a teeny, tiny bit of high-end for FX like uplifters, downlifters, reversed & forward crash cymbals, (Not the ones you used on the 4/4 beat, those were fine, but any others) It should make them more noticeable and allow them to create the builds and releases needed for the track to flow like it should, (though, tbh, it doesn't need a whole awful lot of help in that department) One thing I would suggest, is a small crash when the breaks come in, and then a reversed cymbal spanning the entirety of the break, sucking the listener back into the rad groove you have going.

Overall, this is a pretty bangin' track. I dig it. The 303 makes it really catchy. Well done! I hope my comments made sense & helped at least a little :s
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice