[Short][Orchestral][Slight Steampunk?]Clockwork Robot Rarity

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

[Short][Orchestral][Slight Steampunk?]Clockwork Robot Rarity

Postby Armystuntman » 14 Oct 2014 11:29

https://soundcloud.com/the-unhappy-orchestra/clockwork-robot-rarity-fan-theme

I saw a picture of a Mecha Rarity while browsing Google and for some reason this came into mind, so I sketched it out and made a little theme.

Any criticism? I'm pretty much new to steampunk (at least someone told me it's steampunk) and I'm not too good at orchestration either, so throw whatever you've got at me.
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Re: [Short][Orchestral][Slight Steampunk?]Clockwork Robot Ra

Postby Czyszy » 14 Oct 2014 13:02

It seems like you had a very good idea, but just didn't know how to utilize its full potential. Nice melodies and chord progressions feel kind of ruined by bad mixing and low quality samples.
Czyszy

Primary: Fruity Loops, Reason, Famitracker, Goattracker
Cutie Mark: Prog, Chiptune, Hip Hop

Postby Armystuntman » 14 Oct 2014 14:38

Czyszy wrote:It seems like you had a very good idea, but just didn't know how to utilize its full potential. Nice melodies and chord progressions feel kind of ruined by bad mixing and low quality samples.

Anything specific? Go in detail if necessary, I really need to know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know anything about mixing, actually.

Also, there's not much I can do about the samples, (Though I did use a low-quality Harpsichord on purpose, for that roboty synthy feel, but I can't do anything for the rest.)
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Postby Czyszy » 14 Oct 2014 15:18

Yeah. I did notice the purposefully robotic/synthy harpsichord. it's a nice touch. :) So, what I meant by bad mixing is:
1. the harpsi sound overpowers the mix, not leaving enough space for the orchestra to set in.
and 2. everything sounds too dry. Perhaps you may try putting a bit more EQ/reverb, that would help fixing the muddiness and overall "fake aura" around the sounds. Like the flute for example. Try playing around with the velocity control, add more character to it, 'cause it's just really flat and uninteresting.
Czyszy

Primary: Fruity Loops, Reason, Famitracker, Goattracker
Cutie Mark: Prog, Chiptune, Hip Hop

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice