MLP Solo Orchestral/Modern Instruments Album Competition

Current events we're participating in.

MLP Solo Orchestral/Modern Instruments Album Competition

Postby Docinterlude » 15 Jul 2014 15:40

Hello,

I'm Doc Interlude, a fellow musician on classical/modern (orchestral, jazz, choir, etc.) composition. I have to say that I'm happy that MLP has a fórum for music indeed. I'm not sure If I'm allowed to do this but this is a competition thread only using solo Orchestral/Modern Instruments. I'm saying that the participants can use any orchestral/modern instrument they want for this competition, but here are some rules:

1 - Compose something interesting that has Variation from 2:30~ (minimum) to 5:45~ (maximum) .
2 - The use of music theory is allowed, sheet music is allowed too but not requested.
3 - Files are mp3 or wav, no others than that and no videos. You can use soundcloud or dropbox, but please don't upload it here for the forum sake!
4 - Solo Instruments (ONLY), this means that there can't be any use of duets, trios, quartets or either quintets. You can choose any instrument from the following families (Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion, Keys, Strings, Ethnics, Synths, Pads, etc.)
5- Conduct yourself something simple, and remember this isn't for profit purposes. It is a fun time span for those who like competitions.
6 - Make your piece coherent and fun to hear. Remember this is for learning purposes.

At the voting time, there'll be another thread for voting. So think well who you are going to vote and "BE HONEST".
If some members can't participate on this, don't worry. No one is forcing you, this is just a fun contest.

The following rules are clear and strict. There is a time limit or deadlines for the works, which is about 3 - 4 weeks from now. You have a lot of time to think on your piece. Have a fun time since then! :smile:
Last edited by Docinterlude on 17 Jul 2014 12:19, edited 3 times in total.
I am composing a few songs:

Deep Emotions: Piano, Bass Clarinet and Trumpet in Bb. (Started)
Docinterlude

Primary: Sibelius 7, Reaper
Cutie Mark: Piano and Composition

Re: MLP Solo Orchestral/Modern Instruments Competition

Postby Docinterlude » 15 Jul 2014 18:28

I'm going to post mine here. It is a Trumpet in Bb Solo piece called Leaping Notes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/273 ... 0Notes.mp3

Docinterlude

Postby Callenby » 15 Jul 2014 22:50

Hmmm, I might do something for this.

I must say, though, that I don't know how many others will be interested, given the electronic/dance-focused nature of many users here.

I also have a few questions:
1. Have you ever run one of these competitions before? It takes a lot more work than I think most people expect. If this is all new to you then you might want to read this short article.
2. Do you have an end goal in mind? You're probably going to get a very mixed bag, so I don't know how you intend to stitch all of the disparate solos together.
3. What do you mean when you say music theory is allowed? That isn't clear to me.
4. What do you mean by "variation", exactly? Do you mean a theme and variations, or simply not super repetitive, or something else? It's important to be clear.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Docinterlude » 16 Jul 2014 05:48

Callenby wrote:Hmmm, I might do something for this.

I must say, though, that I don't know how many others will be interested, given the electronic/dance-focused nature of many users here.

I also have a few questions:
1. Have you ever run one of these competitions before? It takes a lot more work than I think most people expect. If this is all new to you then you might want to read this short article.
2. Do you have an end goal in mind? You're probably going to get a very mixed bag, so I don't know how you intend to stitch all of the disparate solos together.
3. What do you mean when you say music theory is allowed? That isn't clear to me.
4. What do you mean by "variation", exactly? Do you mean a theme and variations, or simply not super repetitive, or something else? It's important to be clear.

Even eletronic/dance-focused composers can join this.

1- Some of these competitions happened on some other forums, like "Talk Classical" one. This thing is not only for Classical instruments but also modern instruments, which I said, pads or synth's and they need to act solo though.

2 - What I mean by "solo's" are recordings of solo instruments (Only). If someone is writing for Drum Kit, I'll allow it as the only exception. Thus it means that a person can only use solos using the following respective families that these instruments belong to. E.g (Trumpet, Clarinet, Oboe, Flute, Horn, Wagner Tuba, Xylophone, Bass Trombone, etc).
3 - What I mean by music theory is "basic stuff" that the respective piece should respect... The key signature, Tempo signature, Cadences, Voice-Leading,Tonal or Atonal, etc. Some people mightn't consider this or simply they don't know and go by ear. "This sounds good".

4- Variation is that a piece should enhance a great variety of rhythmic, articulation and harmonic passages. It is helpful to users create more interesting harmonic passages and rhythmic. It takes users some knowledge of music theory and instrument recognition and limits to handle this.
What you said above is exactly what I expect from users.

Finally, I'd like to say that I've participated but I never organized something this caliber, but I hope I learn somehow to do it correctly ( I saw the article). Thus I know, if I need postpone the 3 - 4 week deadline then I will to give the users more time for their pieces but remember, Solo instruments are slightly easier to write than writing ensemble as whole. :wink:

I tend to continue this to the end nor I don't plan giving up.

Docinterlude

Postby Freewave » 17 Jul 2014 09:17

Take a look through this and make sure you've really set yourself up for success.

So is this an album you're preparing? Or just a you make a track and I'll show you mine? Most events here are for eventual albums (and that are often community themed) and you haven't said anything about that. If so then free or a fundraiser? If that's the case you also need a deadline. Please try to fill in the blanks as when you leave out a lot of the information it really doesn't instill a lot of confidence in an event's success and people have more questions then answers.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby DJ TATCM » 17 Jul 2014 10:58

idk bout everyone else but i'm interested! i have like 20 or so waltz ideas recorded on my phone that i've been meaning to put down as concrete songs for a while

one thing though--i'm not quite sure that i understand the voting aspect of it could you explain further please?
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby Docinterlude » 17 Jul 2014 12:16

Freewave wrote:Take a look through this and make sure you've really set yourself up for success.

So is this an album you're preparing? Or just a you make a track and I'll show you mine? Most events here are for eventual albums (and that are often community themed) and you haven't said anything about that. If so then free or a fundraiser? If that's the case you also need a deadline. Please try to fill in the blanks as when you leave out a lot of the information it really doesn't instill a lot of confidence in an event's success and people have more questions then answers.

This is actually kinda of an album, a SOLO instrumentation whether Classical instruments or Modern (synth's, pads). It is the latter but in a competition way, So there will be voting. It is a free of course but I'm still thinking about a prize for the winner.

AND YES, there will be a deadline, which soon enough will be given by me. So this is like a preparation time.

DJ TATCM wrote:idk bout everyone else but i'm interested! i have like 20 or so waltz ideas recorded on my phone that i've been meaning to put down as concrete songs for a while

one thing though--i'm not quite sure that i understand the voting aspect of it could you explain further please?

The voting consists on voting the best 3 pieces, you enjoyed from the album with ratings: 1 (worst) - 3 (best) among the 3 pieces . I'll explain it further

Docinterlude

Re: MLP Solo Orchestral/Modern Instruments Album Competition

Postby DJ TATCM » 17 Jul 2014 14:18

Right. And I'm assuming this is One Piece we're submitting?
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby Docinterlude » 17 Jul 2014 14:56

DJ TATCM wrote:Right. And I'm assuming this is One Piece we're submitting?

Yes.

Docinterlude

Postby dapifubuzu » 17 Jul 2014 15:42

Oh, also, is our submission going to be a recording? Or can we use a program/DAW to make it?
dapifubuzu

Primary: Is MuseScore a DAW?
Cutie Mark: VG Controller and a note.

Postby Docinterlude » 17 Jul 2014 16:24

dapifubuzu wrote:Oh, also, is our submission going to be a recording? Or can we use a program/DAW to make it?

Good question. Actually can be both, but you need to state it when you post your song.

Docinterlude

Postby Stuntddude » 17 Jul 2014 22:05

I'm sure I'll be making something for this, even though it looks very poorly organized. I have my roots in solo piano, and I should really get back to that after having neglected it for so long. It's also a nice break from the really production-oriented stuff I've been doing recently.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Obsidian Melody » 21 Jul 2014 11:57

I might be interested in making something for this. Maybe the piano piece I'm working on right now.
Obsidian Melody

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Two Eighth Notes

Postby Docinterlude » 29 Jul 2014 12:36

Sorry If I have been away from sometime, lost the password and had to ask an admin to change it.

Before I say anything, the minimum of entry's are 6 upwards, if there is less than 6, the competition can't start.

Docinterlude

Postby Ryanlauph » 29 Jul 2014 13:43

Eh, I can't compose a well-thought out piece in 3 weeks. I'm a slowcoach when it comes to these things. :???:
SoundCloud Image YouTubeImage DeviantArtImage FacebookImage TwitterImage

GTA ft. Sam Bruno - Red Lips (Neurophonic Remix)
not for the faint of heart <3
https://soundcloud.com/neurophonic/gta-red-lips-neurophonic-remix
ImageImage
Ryanlauph

Primary: Logic 9. TAKE YOUR TIME FL STUDIO FOR MAC >:(
Cutie Mark: Blue shell of doom

Postby Docinterlude » 30 Jul 2014 12:28

Ryanlauph wrote:Eh, I can't compose a well-thought out piece in 3 weeks. I'm a slowcoach when it comes to these things. :???:

I said, that if needed, I can give more time so the contests have more time to watch over their pieces.

Docinterlude

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events