The Virtual Brony Band (Experimental Project)

Current events we're participating in.

The Virtual Brony Band (Experimental Project)

Postby ganondox » 01 Jul 2014 03:55

One thing I love about the brony music scene is for the most part we consist of a bunch of lone musicians who for the most part make music on our own, but we are so welling to help each other. Remixes, covers, and collabs are a key part of the scene. Now, this always struck me the most when in translated to the live scene at conventions, particularly for rock bands, because even though they are solo artists they all need to form a band in order to play. So at the contention each musician get's their own set of their own songs they composed, and they get all the other guys to help them play their song. In a way, this makes them all own big brony band, instead of a bunch of little bands, and I find it quite beautiful. The point of this project is to translate that idea of the brony band from live work into the studio, the end goal essentially be to create an album consisting entirely of collabs which are all interlinked.

So basically, here is the plan. This will be organized by having each song on the album have a song leader. The song leader has complete creative control over their song, including the ability to give their collaborators as much creative input as they want, except for one rule: each song needs to be a collaboration, at least two people need to work on the song, but the more the merrier. Now, in order to be a song leader, all you need to do is collaborate on someone elses song, however you can only lead one song for every collaboration you are in which you do not lead. In order to ensure all the songs are linked together, songs will only be considered after the song leader has been added to the candidate song list, which will done once the song they are featured on (not the one they are leading) has been finished. You can plan to work on the song all you want and even make it, it just won't be added until you until you are the candidate list and you submit it. I plan on setting up an official skype group, but feel free to discuss song plans in this thread. To solve the initial song problem that arises from this structure, I'm assigning myself to be the initial song leader, I can do that because I'm organizing this, afterward I'll follow the same rules everyone else. The plan is for the album to be capped once 20 or so (does that sound like too much?) songs are completed, and then if it's successful one of the remaining candidate song leaders can organize the next album. See the list below.

Completed songs:
None

Candidate Song Leaders:
Ganondox: 1 song

To submit a song, just make a post in this thread listing the song title, the song leader, and all the collaborators. You also need to send a email with the song download to [email protected], though I don't care if you upload it ahead of time or not, I just need the file in order to assemble the album. Once it's been checked that the song leader is a candidate, the file has been received, and the song features all the people listed as collaborators are on the song, the song will be added to the completed song list, and the collaborators will be added to the candidate song leaders list. There is currently no quality control, it's first come first serve, but if it becomes a problem where people rush songs just to make sure it get's a spot on the album, then a quality control will be added. Once my song is finished I'll make one such post, signally it's properly begun.

Because of the way this is structured it means I need to get the initial song out of the way before this can really begin. In honor the rock oriented inspiration for the project, I plan on doing on a simple rock song with the typical line up. The roles I need are a drummer, a guitarist, a bassist, a songwriter, a singer, and a producer. The exact roles will be adjusted depending on who exactly joins in, people may take multiple roles and additional roles may be added, but the current plan is that the drummer makes the drum base which the song is built around, the guitarist then adds some chords/riffs and a solo, bassist makes a bass line, songwriter rights lyrics, and the producer assembles it all together. There may be room for a synth guy as well, but I'm not restricting any of the roles to rock musicians, if you're an electronic musician and you can emulate any of the roles I'm willing to see what you have to offer. I currently plan on filling the role as vocalist, but we'll see what happens, the plan may change depending on what will be easiest to get a good song.

Also, I need album work. Whoever makes the album artwork I ultimately decide to use will also get a candidate song leader spot. Depending on how long it takes to get my song to be made, if ever, it might be easier to try to get the album started via that route.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: The Virtual Brony Band (Experimental Project)

Postby ganondox » 01 Jul 2014 03:56

Because of the way this is structured it means I need to get the initial song out of the way before this can really begin. In honor the rock oriented inspiration for the project, I plan on doing on a simple rock song with the typical line up. The roles I need are a drummer, a guitarist, a bassist, a songwriter, a singer, and a producer. The exact roles will be adjusted depending on who exactly joins in, people may take multiple roles and additional roles may be added, but the current plan is that the drummer makes the drum base which the song is built around, the guitarist then adds some chords/riffs and a solo, bassist makes a bass line, songwriter rights lyrics, and the producer assembles it all together. There may be room for a synth guy as well, but I'm not restricting any of the roles to rock musicians, if you're an electronic musician and you can emulate any of the roles I'm willing to see what you have to offer. I currently plan on filling the role as vocalist, but we'll see what happens, the plan may change depending on what will be easiest to get a good song.
ganondox

Postby Freewave » 01 Jul 2014 08:58

I like the idea of a virtual band but I just wanted to let you know i have a project that I've been preparing for over the last year and half in a similar vein for the Maressey project that I am launching this week. Now this is a very specific project and style (a ponification band of The Smiths catalog) so it's not open ended like what you are considering but has open spots for vocalists, guitarists, drummers, bassists, orchestral, and midi instrumentalists to form a virtual band and album. Not trying to steal your spotlight but letting you know and seeing if there's similar interest in people who would want to be part of a project vs isolated musicians. Likely these could be the same people that be interested in both. I think we both a vested interest in seeing event albums not be only EDM oriented. ;)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Jokeblue » 02 Jul 2014 09:25

Deja vu. I think we totally tried this awhile ago but with like an 80's theme to it? Whatever it was it kinda died. This sounds interesting and like a good idea though, so I hope it pulls through. I would totally throw myself at this shouting "yes this a thing that I will and must do" but at the moment I can't really do anything at all due to my effects processor dying, as its one of my main recording tools. I am still interested, I just don't know how able/available I am for it.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Stuntddude » 02 Jul 2014 16:24

I have some production skills, but not really anything else you need for the first song, and you can probably find somebody much better as a producer on the forums, but if not that's something I'd be happy to do.

I mean, I have experience and abilities with composition, synths, and piano, I just wouldn't know for the life of me how to write. compose, or play a rock song. Other genres I could help out more with.
Last edited by Stuntddude on 03 Jul 2014 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby GCKrastin » 03 Jul 2014 13:28

I think this would be a really cool thing if it takes off and I would want to be part of it but really the only thing I could do passably well is production. Even production I don't have much experience when it comes to a band, everything I've done in the past has been 100% digital until very recently.
That sentence came out weird.
Producing mediocre drum and bass since 2012.
Stuff I use: FL Studio 12, Harmor, Sytrus, Maximus, Akai MPK Mini, Numark Mixtrack
SoundCloud -=- YouTube -=- Tumblr
GCKrastin

Primary: FL Studio 11/12

Postby ganondox » 07 Jul 2014 08:54

GCKrastin wrote:I think this would be a really cool thing if it takes off and I would want to be part of it but really the only thing I could do passably well is production. Even production I don't have much experience when it comes to a band, everything I've done in the past has been 100% digital until very recently.
That sentence came out weird.

Well everything can be done digitally, the project itself isn't restricted to bands, I just want the first song to be rock. If I can't find anyone in time, then I'll be willing to change styles.
ganondox

Postby FLAOFEI » 11 Jul 2014 17:05

I would like to offer my help here... but I don't think I have much to offer since I don't think I can record neither drums nor bass very well. I could try though.
If you're ok with a bit of noise in the recording I can drum, or bass. I'm a bit better at drums though.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby ganondox » 12 Jul 2014 10:38

FLAOFEI wrote:I would like to offer my help here... but I don't think I have much to offer since I don't think I can record neither drums nor bass very well. I could try though.
If you're ok with a bit of noise in the recording I can drum, or bass. I'm a bit better at drums though.

I'm not a stickler for high quality production, just as long as it's listenable, at least somewhat interesting, and not a half-assed job I'm fine. I want the best we can get, but the point of this isn't to be another Balloon Party, it's to get some collaborations. I'd like to hear what you've got.
ganondox

Postby FLAOFEI » 13 Jul 2014 10:39

I'll try to get something recorded some time in the near future then, hopefully it won't be to bad :)
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
FLAOFEI

Postby ganondox » 24 Aug 2014 16:27

Okay, does anyone want to write lyrics for a generic rock song?
ganondox

Postby Jokeblue » 24 Aug 2014 18:27

Do you have a WIP or something of it? I could see what I could come up with anything
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Smartmax » 25 Aug 2014 16:54

I can sing, if you have a general direction you want me to take I can probably write lyrics too :grin:. If I wasn't sick I'd record sample vocals for you.
Smartmax

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: FIERY VOLCANO AND WAVES

Postby FLAOFEI » 26 Aug 2014 15:49

We don't have really anything so far :/
We pretty much decided we would do lyrics first, then melody and rhythm. We figured it would make more sense that way than the opposite, which we tried to do first...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby ganondox » 27 Aug 2014 11:39

Smartmax wrote:I can sing, if you have a general direction you want me to take I can probably write lyrics too :grin:. If I wasn't sick I'd record sample vocals for you.

I plan on doing the vocals myself, because I'm the best at singing, probably better at singing than I am at lyrics, and I want to directly be involved on it somehow instead of just ordering people around, I've been pretty vague so far because I don't just want to use other people to make one of my personal songs, I want this to be a group song. Anyway, if you want I could record a vocal sample of generally what I want the song to sound like and the lyrics to be like, not the final melody or lyrics or anything.
ganondox

Postby Smartmax » 27 Aug 2014 16:03

ganondox wrote:
Smartmax wrote:I can sing, if you have a general direction you want me to take I can probably write lyrics too :grin:. If I wasn't sick I'd record sample vocals for you.

I plan on doing the vocals myself, because I'm the best at singing, probably better at singing than I am at lyrics, and I want to directly be involved on it somehow instead of just ordering people around, I've been pretty vague so far because I don't just want to use other people to make one of my personal songs, I want this to be a group song. Anyway, if you want I could record a vocal sample of generally what I want the song to sound like and the lyrics to be like, not the final melody or lyrics or anything.

Sure thing!
Smartmax

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: FIERY VOLCANO AND WAVES

Postby ganondox » 29 Aug 2014 22:55

Smartmax wrote:
ganondox wrote:

Sure thing!

Okay then. Not sure when I'll be able to do it, as I just moved into my dorms recently, there are places to record here, I just need to find a time to do it.
ganondox

Postby Evdog » 03 Sep 2014 00:20

ganondox wrote:Okay, does anyone want to write lyrics

Okay, sure, I'll get to-
ganondox wrote:generic

:V nvm
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby ganondox » 03 Sep 2014 16:45

Evdog wrote:
ganondox wrote:Okay, does anyone want to write lyrics

Okay, sure, I'll get to-
ganondox wrote:generic

:V nvm

LOL, they don't need to be generic, I just want to write a rocking rock song for this. I've got an idea now that's slightly less generic, I'll be posting a vocal demo soon enough.
ganondox

Postby Evdog » 03 Sep 2014 21:45

Alright :P
Either way, I am interested in this idea, and (If I have enough free time) I'll see if I can help contribute.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby Acsii » 04 Sep 2014 04:40

I remember there was an idea for a Jazz band a while ago haha. Anyway I'll pop my head in, I'm a guitarist and stuff and I like distortion so yea :P
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby ganondox » 11 Sep 2014 21:15

Okay, all you peoplez who have been waiting for this, I finally got around to recording a very rough vocal demo.
http://soundcloud.com/geryondice/horse-rock-demo
It ended up being quite a bit more chaotic than my initial plan once I finished recording it. Anyway, it sucks, but I don't feel the need to record a better version now as this is in no way meant to be final lyrics or melody or anything, it's just a very rough idea of the song.
ganondox

Postby ganondox » 05 Oct 2014 22:15

Just a reminder that I'm still looking for people, and if you want to help I'd appreciate having a skype contact.
ganondox

Postby Acsii » 05 Oct 2014 23:57

In that case my skype is ep_ilogue or Abigail J Pruijmboom (Lama Butt)
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby 3ternal » 15 Oct 2014 17:15

In the off-chance that it's not too late to get involved with this, I play drums. My skype's in my signature.
My Youtube My Soundcloud
My name's Vivian, and I make music with no educational value whatsoever.
DAW: Ableton Live 9
VSTs: NI Massive, Kontakt,
Genres: Stuff your parents wouldn't like
eery wrote:fuck you and your big e.
3ternal

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Literally just Static

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events