"Balloon Party 3" - Academy of Power

Current events we're participating in.

"Balloon Party 3" - Academy of Power

Postby Freewave » 04 Apr 2014 08:37

http://circuitfry.tumblr.com/post/81461 ... -so-purple

Circuitfry: "I’ve become motivated again to launch the third album in the Balloon Party series. Each album and even their sub-albums have been shaped around personifying the character the album is attributed to. I’m very excited to be spearheading this one, themed around Twilight Sparkle, the studious role model educator, risk-taker, and leader of the six characters.

I will soon be drafting a team of people and personally requesting that they contribute help towards the success of the album.

I had several agenda-based ideas for this album, but I’ve decided to keep the platform on the neutral side of politics. The vision for this album is to have a sound design on the experimental and technique-focused side of composition. The idea is to break your limits and show a new possibility with music. Pioneer a sound nobody has ever thought of, before, and aim to demonstrate proficiency in theory and/or production value however you see fit. You want to stand on the shoulders of giants as best as you can.

It becomes more challenging when we also mention that we are looking for education. If you remember in the year 2012, SGAP and I were able to create a montage of funk and hip hop and ambient music, flowery and sweet, but also delving into the processes of discovery and confirmation.

This album may require you to venture into your mind and process deep thought regarding what you can teach people, whether that lies in evolution, ethics, mathematics, philosophy, the arts, it goes on and on. Be prepared to mingle with lots of artists, because not even a mixing expert is going to have the best answer for your project. That will have to come from you.

We are of course encouraging ponies, as always, and no, we are not going to be nitpicky about whether it actually has horses or not. We only ask that you submit your honest work and do your best to build up off of what you’ve learned from your craft, so far."

A couple notes from MLR staff.

1. This will be the ONLY thread on MLR about the newest version of the Balloon Party series. Do not open other threads for collabs or questions.
2. MLR is not having any direct involvement with this round of Balloon Party like we did last time. Circuitfry will be running this himself and with any team he assembles. Do not ask questions in the thread as we can't answer them. Send them to Cfry on his tumblr or on the facebook for the event.
3. Any questions on what has happened between Staff, BP, and Circuitfry in the past can be read in this and this and this thread. Hopefully that can be the past and not a prediction of future issues within this event.
4. I know there's been some serious concerns about the legitimacy about this event as it is not going through MLR and due to past drama with it for the last couple of months. I hope that doesn't continue into this thread or elsewhere. Hopefully this event can run itself and unite some of the community and we expect people to keep it positve in here (and hopefully elsewhere).
5. As stated this is NOT a fundraiser for musicians like past events. It will be a general public charity through bronies for good. Please don't spread the tired sentiment that "a spot on the compilation is a trip to the bronycon", its certainly not and hasn't been for awhile.
6. Previous editions of Balloon Party have been reuploaded in flac and mp3 and are here for free. These will be the standards you will want to aim for (production wise) http://circuitfry.tumblr.com/post/81557 ... loon-party
7. As always many people will not make the cut if partipation is high but that's no reason not to make great music through this event or outside of it. In many cases a second edition will collect what didn't make the first edition (after its been remixed or cleaned up). Regardless.....Have fun, make the best music you can, and good luck.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: "Balloon Party 3" - Academy of Power

Postby Mesogears » 04 Apr 2014 10:42

I'm interested in this, but I'm still wondering:

Does this event have a deadline yet?

How will tracks be submitted now that the events tab is gone?
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby Callenby » 04 Apr 2014 10:45

I AM EXCITE

Maybe I'll do a collab...
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Stuntddude » 04 Apr 2014 16:55

I'm getting very mixed signals from the description given. We want to be experimental and "pioneer a sound nobody has ever thought of," but we're also supposed to have technique-focused composition, stand on the shoulders of giants, and to do our best to build off what we've learned and what we already know? So... is it supposed to be experimental and pioneering, or not?
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Symphon » 04 Apr 2014 17:09

Stuntddude wrote:I'm getting very mixed signals from the description given. We want to be experimental and "pioneer a sound nobody has ever thought of," but we're also supposed to have technique-focused composition, stand on the shoulders of giants, and to do our best to build off what we've learned and what we already know? So... is it supposed to be experimental and pioneering, or not?

It sounds like, "Use what you've learned throughout your production time and use what you know to make a sound that is new." Just because they say focus on technique and stand on the shoulders of giants doesn't mean not be pioneering.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby CitricAcid » 04 Apr 2014 18:21

Patrick wrote:No, no, I think he means he wants it to look so good that it's scary.

Spongebob wrote:Or maybe that by looking so scary you forget that it doesn't look good!
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Jokeblue » 04 Apr 2014 19:42

Balloon Party on Facebook wrote:I know that Twilight's a sucker for instructions but she also knows that the point of knowledge is to build on top of it. That is how she became an alicorn. So I think we're going to see both textbook technique and innovation
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby DatWhackProducer » 04 Apr 2014 20:18

Back n ready 2 reck it. what u know bout hip-hop boy.
#zebrablockparty
DatWhackProducer

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: u dont know me

Postby Seven Ponies » 04 Apr 2014 23:28

Oh yeahhh definitely gonna try XD
Seven Ponies

Primary: fl studio 10
Cutie Mark: Chillstep

Postby S.P.P » 05 Apr 2014 05:29

This year is the year I finally submit to a Balloon Party album.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Injustrial » 05 Apr 2014 11:26

I'm definitely in. Are there any genre restrictions, or are we free to do whatever we want with it?
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Freewave » 05 Apr 2014 11:34

Injustrial wrote:I'm definitely in. Are there any genre restrictions, or are we free to do whatever we want with it?

There generally are not, although the more popular genres; rock, dubstep, electro will have ample representing. Hopefully even more genre diversity can happen this time. This is the first album w/o a distinct upbeat/caffeine filled motif (ie Pinkie Pie,Rainbow Dash in the past 2)
Freewave

Postby DatWhackProducer » 05 Apr 2014 11:45

Will there be a chatroom?
#zebrablockparty
DatWhackProducer

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: u dont know me

Postby MrBronyPlan » 05 Apr 2014 12:26

Sounds fun, I guess I'll jump inside.
Nice.
MrBronyPlan

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Potato

Postby Freewave » 05 Apr 2014 12:30

DatWhackProducer wrote:Will there be a chatroom?

Please read the first post. It's really not tl;dr :wink:

Short answer? Ask cfry or get one rolling.
Freewave

Postby ExoBassTix » 05 Apr 2014 12:52

Freewave wrote:
Injustrial wrote:I'm definitely in. Are there any genre restrictions, or are we free to do whatever we want with it?

There generally are not, although the more popular genres; rock, dubstep, electro will have ample representing. Hopefully even more genre diversity can happen this time.

I damn well hope that the eventual judges won't have genre-bias.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby JSynth » 05 Apr 2014 14:20

Honestly, I was sort of hoping that at least some of the money would go to cons. I have never been to one myself, and the way things have been going lately, I don't think I can afford it this year.

This album may require you to venture into your mind and process deep thought regarding what you can teach people, whether that lies in evolution, ethics, mathematics, philosophy, the arts, it goes on and on. Be prepared to mingle with lots of artists, because not even a mixing expert is going to have the best answer for your project. That will have to come from you.

I don't fully understand this. The song is somehow supposed to be educational?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Freewave » 05 Apr 2014 15:00

JSynth wrote:Honestly, I was sort of hoping that at least some of the money would go to cons. I have never been to one myself, and the way things have been going lately, I don't think I can afford it this year.

Eeyup. I'm going to likely rule myself out for a third year as well.
Freewave

Postby Qtzper » 05 Apr 2014 16:37

Sounds interesting. I'm gonna do my best for it.
Qtzper

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Burning Mic

Postby Stuntddude » 05 Apr 2014 21:00

I just had the greatest idea for this. It is actually so great that I'm not sure if I want to post it for fear of being outdone with my own idea.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Aoshi » 05 Apr 2014 22:26

Is there no way to heal this situation so that the biggest brony music artist community and the staple of what Balloon Party and Rainbow & Rooted were about (the best of the best in different ways of the MLR community) is a part of it?

Now that this has shifted into exclusivity and outside MLR it feels a little empty..

Just saying..
ohai
Aoshi

Primary: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Cutie Mark: Glitch

Postby MG Music » 05 Apr 2014 22:44

Ill try this

So from what im reading you guys want a variety of genres throughout the album
or is there something im not gettin
MG Music

Primary: Synth: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: EDM

Postby ExoBassTix » 06 Apr 2014 07:52

Aoshi wrote:Is there no way to heal this situation so that the biggest brony music artist community and the staple of what Balloon Party and Rainbow & Rooted were about (the best of the best in different ways of the MLR community) is a part of it?

Now that this has shifted into exclusivity and outside MLR it feels a little empty..

Just saying..

You're not alone in feeling that, let me tell you. And not just me either.
To answer your question, without trying to sound offending against Circuitfry, he has a stubbornness that he can't control nor see for hinself, which makes him want to keep ownership of Balloon Party. And MLR tried to co-operate with him (Kyoga an him nearly started the thing -together-), but as far as I know, disagreements happened and MLR cancelled supporting Balloon Party as a whole. Having said this, it has been tried.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby PENG-1 » 06 Apr 2014 09:46

Next Balloon Party, eh?
May enter this with a friend actually.
Some penguin obsessed idiot with FL Studio.
PENG-1

Primary: Abelton/Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Navron » 06 Apr 2014 12:10

Aoshi wrote:Is there no way to heal this situation so that the biggest brony music artist community and the staple of what Balloon Party and Rainbow & Rooted were about (the best of the best in different ways of the MLR community) is a part of it?

Just saying..

I never really felt it was part of MLR to begin with, other than the official threads and events being hosted here.

To clarify what I mean, Balloon Party was comprised of like 75% of musicians that do not even post on MLR. R&R was around 50%.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events