Rainbow & Rooted: Four's Fall Down

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Rainbow & Rooted: Four's Fall Down

Postby Alycs » 28 Feb 2013 20:25

Yup, I'm still composing it. The beginning is going to be a hardstyle-like song (because, truthfully, 95% of this album will be electronic), but the second with the lights and shit will be violins and other strings (with some undertones of the original) that will build up, and then return to the original song with the orchestral parts providing harmony.

Its a work in progress.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Feb 2013 20:37

hm, alright. looks good though.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Firenze Storm » 01 Mar 2013 05:07

Ok first WIP... still need to start my other song... this WIP is pretty much done now (Ive done some more tweaking since I posted, so this isnt like the real thing atm)

Firenze Storm

Postby Glitchhog » 01 Mar 2013 08:25

Firenze Storm wrote:Ok first WIP... still need to start my other song... this WIP is pretty much done now (Ive done some more tweaking since I posted, so this isnt like the real thing atm)

There are a LOT of conflicting melodies here, and the song generally needs more grunt. Flesh it out more, layer your sounds, alter the leads (note-wise and VST-wise.) That said, the ending 8bit-esque part sounds pretty damn cool.

EDIT: Here's the latest version of my WIP. I'll continue to update the file on SoundCloud, so the link should stay the same. I fattened up the bass a little, and added a few little touch-ups here and there. I'm currently working on the rest of the track, got the chorus and verse two almost done. I'm not sure about the melody during the second set of chords at the start. I may take it out.

https://soundcloud.com/strobeedm/vascular-rainbow-4032-2
Last edited by Glitchhog on 01 Mar 2013 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby R-Y-S-E » 01 Mar 2013 10:44

I'm gonna post my updated (and last) wip here, cause on YouTube it's going unnoticed, so I thought it'd be useful to post it here.

@Glitchhog - The chords sound good to me, and I really like the bass :D I hope the chords get louder than they do at the very end of that wip though :)
R-Y-S-E

Primary: Magix Music Maker 2013
Cutie Mark: Complextro

Postby Alycs » 01 Mar 2013 11:18

@R-Y-S-E: Okay, first of all; your background is kick-ass and don't you dare change it. :D

As for the music: I think that its really nice overall; however, the drums are a little loud, and they keep patterns that are very similar to each other through most of the song, making it overall seem really repetitive. Another thing that is adding to the repetitiveness is that the same lead synth is playing almost constantly. Overall there needs to be something to break up the entire song; either a bass-drop, a break out, a small reprise... something. I really like the themes you have going, but if you are planning on just keeping this for the entire song, then its going to seem boring after a while.

----
Also, I'm still working on the video, but I've made quite a few changes today, and its quite close to done. I just have to add a few more info-points (thats what the big space in the blue-triangle tunnel will be for) and work on some transitions. There will also be sound effects beyond the music, but audio takes forever and a half to render in Vegas, so I'm doing those last.

Alycs

Postby Mesogears » 01 Mar 2013 14:23

@Alycs: I have to say, that video was both unique and entertaining. I love when people use visuals to go with their songs on Youtube (and I wish I could since I don't have any good video editing software). As for the song itself: it feels like it could use a little more "oomph," especially since you said you were aiming for a hardstyle-type track. (Unless it's supposed to sound mellow; then it's ok).
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby Glitchhog » 02 Mar 2013 04:07

New section added (1:43), need crit if anyone's on. :3

Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Postby itroitnyah » 02 Mar 2013 05:57

Sounds great to me, Glitchhog. I guess the only thing is that the bass synth at .44 is a bit of a let down, but I don't really listen to house often enough to know for sure.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Decmaster IX » 02 Mar 2013 11:38

Glitchhog, it sounds pretty great, for the most part. I swear I've heard that progressive melody in the beginning before, though. :P

Two major things I noticed, though.

• The drop (as a lot of people have been saying), is rather weak. First, I'd pitch it up an octave. Your lower notes are getting lost in a wave of muddiness. Second, I'd try this trick I learned a while ago. Take your bass synth, and duplicate it twice. In the first one, highpass it and make the treble more pronounced. Second, take the third copy and set the oscillator to a Sine Square, or essentially, a sub bass. (Excuse me if it's not a Sine Square, I can't remember right not) Then, just add or delete stuff until it sounds like a sub bass, like a lowpass or whatnot. I don't know if this will work for you, this is just an easy way to fatten up stuff. Or, you could use some EQ or some compression or something.

• I feel like your third and fourth chord in your progression after the drop are out of tune. Maybe check each voice and see if something is off. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds really dissonant.

• It gets repetitive real fast. Bring in the lead from the beginning in after the drop, but in a super progressive-style lead. You know, like *shudder* Avicii, or Archie, or all of the progressive house masters. (Just because your song is specifically Electro House doesn't mean you can't go progressive) Go crazy with leads! That's what the genres surrounding House were meant to do!

But yeah, other than that, I really liked it. The ideas in there were great, and like you said, the structure is likely to change. I look forward to the final product!
You can just call me Decmaster.
My DAW: Logic Pro 9
My Soundcloud
My YouTube account
Rainbow and REJECTED
Decmaster IX

Postby Anonagon » 02 Mar 2013 14:04

Decmaster IX wrote:Glitchhog, it sounds pretty great, for the most part. I swear I've heard that progressive melody in the beginning before, though

It sounds somewhat like the progression of Deadmau5's The Veldt. I like the song though!
DAW: FL Studio 11 (also been messing with lsdj on an emulator)
Synths: 3XOSC magical8bitplug Sytrus Synth1
https://soundcloud.com/anonagon
Anonagon

Postby Glitchhog » 02 Mar 2013 20:11

Decmaster IX wrote:Glitchhog, it sounds pretty great, for the most part. I swear I've heard that progressive melody in the beginning before, though. :P

Two major things I noticed, though.

• The drop (as a lot of people have been saying), is rather weak. First, I'd pitch it up an octave. Your lower notes are getting lost in a wave of muddiness. Second, I'd try this trick I learned a while ago. Take your bass synth, and duplicate it twice. In the first one, highpass it and make the treble more pronounced. Second, take the third copy and set the oscillator to a Sine Square, or essentially, a sub bass. (Excuse me if it's not a Sine Square, I can't remember right not) Then, just add or delete stuff until it sounds like a sub bass, like a lowpass or whatnot. I don't know if this will work for you, this is just an easy way to fatten up stuff. Or, you could use some EQ or some compression or something.

• I feel like your third and fourth chord in your progression after the drop are out of tune. Maybe check each voice and see if something is off. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds really dissonant.

• It gets repetitive real fast. Bring in the lead from the beginning in after the drop, but in a super progressive-style lead. You know, like *shudder* Avicii, or Archie, or all of the progressive house masters. (Just because your song is specifically Electro House doesn't mean you can't go progressive) Go crazy with leads! That's what the genres surrounding House were meant to do!

But yeah, other than that, I really liked it. The ideas in there were great, and like you said, the structure is likely to change. I look forward to the final product!

Cheers man! I actually realized why the chords at the end sounded off, and it was because (for whatever reason) the chords from the beginning were also playing. I have no idea why, since they were definitely removed before I exported, but it's fixed now. I've definitely noted the leads as well. Been doing a bit of fiddling around, and it's definitely sounding better.

Bass-wise, I've created three; one for the higher spectrum, one just left as is, and the last fattened up. It's definitely sounding far better, but I need to emphasize that the first drop is supposed to be 'minimal', if you know what I mean. The main part of the song is the second drop.

Structure-wise, it doesn't really have one. The vocals will be added very soon, and it's generally one giant verse, with familiar motifs and maybe a chorus if you're able to look at it through that lens. It's largely my most 'progressive' progressive house track.

Anonagon wrote:
Decmaster IX wrote:Glitchhog, it sounds pretty great, for the most part. I swear I've heard that progressive melody in the beginning before, though

It sounds somewhat like the progression of Deadmau5's The Veldt. I like the song though!

Yeah, I sadly noticed that after I had put 4 hours of work into it, and I wasn't going to throw it all away haha. My friends said there are similarities, but it's far from a carbon copy and can stand on its own easily without being called a rip-off. I've heard plenty of tracks that sound like other's I've heard.

EDIT: Alright, here's an updated version. Vocals to come in the next one most likely.

Glitchhog

Postby Friv » 03 Mar 2013 02:22

It's late, I'm bored, so I made a thing.

I don't care about feedback or anything, just wanted to parade my preview like the shameless whore I am.
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
email: [email protected]
Friv

Postby Genkar » 03 Mar 2013 06:05

Friv wrote:It's late, I'm bored, so I made a thing.

I don't care about feedback or anything, just wanted to parade my preview like the shameless whore I am.

Dude, that's really awesome. I really like the way you used the at the gala sample. Plus, the visuals are stunning.
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Genkar

Postby TheMalenEst » 03 Mar 2013 10:07

This is what i have been working on :P

My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Firenze Storm » 03 Mar 2013 11:57

Glitchhog thanks for the help ^^ I'll put it into practise as much as I can do x3
Firenze Storm

Postby DannyMirage » 03 Mar 2013 17:34

TheMalenEst wrote:This is what i have been working on :P

This is awesome.
Talk to me! I'm on Skype and Steam by the same name (and capitalization)
(you can call me, but I don't have a camera)
DannyMirage

Postby TheMalenEst » 04 Mar 2013 01:43

DannyMirage wrote:
TheMalenEst wrote:This is what i have been working on :P

This is awesome.

Hehe Thanks :3 I got a never WIP one on my soundcloud with bass and everything.
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Glitchhog » 04 Mar 2013 01:50

Just received Replacer's vocals. Gotta do a little Melodyne and mixing on the track itself, maybe add a few instruments and improve the mastering, and then I think we're almost done. :D
Glitchhog

Postby Glitchhog » 04 Mar 2013 05:11

Alright, new WIP with vocals. Since I utterly fail when it comes to mixing them, I need some major feedback. The structure isn't changing though, I composed it like this on purpose.

https://soundcloud.com/strobeedm/vascular-rainbow-wip-feat-replacer
Glitchhog

Postby MaЯIuB » 04 Mar 2013 09:30

Here it is a WIP of Dubstep / DNB song that I'm doing, it's pretty well made technically, but the song is still not completely finished. Tell me what could be done better by what you hear.
https://soundcloud.com/mariub-olafsen/rainbow-and-rooted-wip-unamed
Enjoy! :D

Edit:
What happened to build up before dubstep / chip tune drop? It sounds completely retarded , I have to fix it a bit. :roll:
Last edited by MaЯIuB on 05 Mar 2013 14:48, edited 2 times in total.
MaЯIuB

Postby MaЯIuB » 04 Mar 2013 09:46

Glitchhog wrote:Alright, new WIP with vocals. Since I utterly fail when it comes to mixing them, I need some major feedback. The structure isn't changing though, I composed it like this on purpose.

I think this WIP is good, with some strange song structure. (Which I like)
I don't really know if I find something I can complain about in this song, I know that something is missing and the sound quality is not quite at the top. But I cannot describe what is wrong. So I'll leave it to someone else who is better than me to give feedback.
MaЯIuB

Postby Alycs » 04 Mar 2013 09:57

@Glitchhog: The vocals need to be a bit louder in respect to the rest of the song. While I could hear them, at no point in the song could I have told you what they actually said with any sort of accuracy.

Also, I still agree with the commenter on the track, I think the first drop is still a bit of a letdown. It just needs another sound to make it a little fuller. As it is, the bass seems really flat, and needs some sort of boost. Maybe a supersaw playing the same notes underneath it would work.

The structure is nice, and I like the melody, and other than those two things, I really like it.

----
Here are two WIP tracks I'm working on right now (The first was going to be my original submission, but after I started working on the background music for the video, I decided to expand the song into a full length version [and kinda abondoned the first so they both have weird things yay])

https://soundcloud.com/alycs/rainbow-lightning
https://soundcloud.com/alycs/space-intentional-r-r

Could I get some critiques, suggestions, complains, comments, or thoughts on either of them (or both), I haven't really had much in the line of anything to help me along with them yet, other than one person on the Skype chat say that the first one needed more bass (that was three edits ago, so....)
Last edited by Alycs on 04 Mar 2013 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Alycs

Postby Retrotype » 04 Mar 2013 10:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbgUTcr_HQ

still working on it but still tryin to figure out what the song needs
Retrotype

Postby Glitchhog » 04 Mar 2013 10:51

Cheers for the feedback guys! I'll get the vocals [done] tomorrow, and modify that damn bass some more. I liked the saw idea.
Glitchhog

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events