Rainbow & Rooted: Four's Fall Down

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Rainbow & Rooted: Four's Fall Down

Postby TheAnonymousColt » 11 Jun 2013 19:04

It's like a ponycaust in here...
DAW: Ableton Suite 8.2
VST's: Massive, Izotope Ozone 5, Edirol Orchestra, Addictive Keys, Sylenth1, Camel Crusher, Sugar Bytes WOW, Rough Rider, blah, blah blah

http://www.youtube.com/user/theanonymouscolt
http://soundcloud.com/the-anonymous-colt
TheAnonymousColt

Postby Evdog » 12 Jun 2013 00:27

Been reading through the last few pages of this thread. All I have to say in response is:

BP =/= R&R

If you measure R&R to the criteria of BP, you will be disappointed, solely because it's not BP. But it's not trying to be; never was. It's trying to be Rainbow and Rooted.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby Nexgen » 12 Jun 2013 01:12

Evdog wrote:Been reading through the last few pages of this thread. All I have to say in response is:

BP =/= R&R

If you measure R&R to the criteria of BP, you will be disappointed, solely because it's not BP. But it's not trying to be; never was. It's trying to be Rainbow and Rooted.

Thank you, Evdog. Now make sweet love to me bby. <3
Nexgen

Postby PinkieGuy » 12 Jun 2013 09:06

Jokeblue wrote:Now, what about you, whoever is reading this? whats your tracks story?

I really want to hear the stories behind your music, if you have one.

My tune started as an instrumental that I 99% finished in like 3 days straight. For months, I just didn't know what to do lyrically. Then whilst mucking around with reverbs, pitch shifting and autotuning, I got this really spacey effect on a different track. I straight away got the idea of the "We Float In Space, No Time Or Place, A Thousand Years Away" line, and that section was born.

I then spent another 2 months with no more lyrics, but knew the song was about the Crystal Empire episode. I even performed the song live at PonyCon Au without having written final lyrics (made them up on the day). What finally solidified the concept was re-watching the episodes themselves, and noticing the robotic way the Crystal ponies were walking. I loved the idea of the song being this clash between the impact and absence of emotion. My favourite lines in the whole thing were the last ones recorded:

We walk around mechanized,
not a spark in our glassy eyes.
Repeating, defeated and searching for our heart's completion:
Will you complete me?

To me, I think this is what life becomes to some people: Forever stuck in the same rut (Repeating), thinking they're worth nothing more than what they get (Defeated) but still hoping that somehow they'll break free (searching). Sadly, instead of investing in the things that last, they try and break free with temporary things, like new toys, which just leave them asking all over again: 'will you complete me?'
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Raddons » 12 Jun 2013 09:28

lmfao this thread

I cared for a day about not getting on and then I woke up the next morning and I honestly don't care. It hasn't crossed my mind once, until I read this thread. I hope this thread gets locked because you all are being ridiculous. Sure, I have my opinions on the merits of mixing and all that, but at the end of the day, this is just people having fun making music. I'm not gonna shit on someone for that.

Just remember what you all are arguing about.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby StevenAD » 12 Jun 2013 14:01

Raddons wrote:lmfao this thread

I cared for a day about not getting on and then I woke up the next morning and I honestly don't care. It hasn't crossed my mind once, until I read this thread. I hope this thread gets locked because you all are being ridiculous. Sure, I have my opinions on the merits of mixing and all that, but at the end of the day, this is just people having fun making music. I'm not gonna shit on someone for that.

Yes, let's just never discuss anything even moderately controversial. Because that's a healthy attitude to have.

I'm told that sarcasm is hard to understand over text, so in case you weren't sure, that was sarcastic.
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby TheAnonymousColt » 12 Jun 2013 17:39

StevenAD wrote:
Raddons wrote:lmfao this thread

Yes, let's just never discuss anything even moderately controversial. Because that's a healthy attitude to have.

I'm told that sarcasm is hard to understand over text, so in case you weren't sure, that was sarcastic.

It isn't even a discussion...it's a giant circlejerk right now...ah, i'm not gonna complain, I'll just go work on some music instead...
DAW: Ableton Suite 8.2
VST's: Massive, Izotope Ozone 5, Edirol Orchestra, Addictive Keys, Sylenth1, Camel Crusher, Sugar Bytes WOW, Rough Rider, blah, blah blah

http://www.youtube.com/user/theanonymouscolt
http://soundcloud.com/the-anonymous-colt
TheAnonymousColt

Postby MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN » 13 Jun 2013 06:20

(btw R&R is obviously the superior album bcuz it has lo-fi and hiphop. hop off BP's stallionhood, b!)

sci wrote:w...what?

dang y'all are pessimistic

....or something

StevenAD wrote:My problem with making music based on pop culture (and this is the main reason why I'm stepping away from it) is that it gives your music an inherent shelf-life. As soon as MLP is irrelevant, so is what you've created. I may come across as pompous or whatever, but I want to try to make my work stand the test of time, and also make it stand on its own merits.

why are you creating music based on pop culture?

Myself? I enjoy the pop culture, and I really love music.

Why not combine the two?

Pony music, remixes of anime themes, whatever. It's a product of two things that you love. If you pour your soul into that, it shouldn't matter how popular the culture part is.

It's you. Or rather, it's an extension of you. A relic of where you've been and a sign that points to where you've grown since.

If you make a song that you only enjoy because it references pop culture, then that thing will expire faster than you can listen to it.

I don't know about you but I'm damn proud of what I've made "for ponies".

in fact, look at that first link again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvzdMVJubA

that may be the worst as far as having an "expiration date"
but holy hell, it's a summation of my time, my music, my friends, and quite possibly the best year of my life.

maybe it's irrelevant to everyone else, but it's not leaving my heart.

but yet...

"Bose-Einstein Disco Complex" is not what I would call pony related.
0 pony samples
1 periodicvideos sample

and so I just started the periodicvideos remix scene.

when I was making the song, I was thinking about rainbow dash: fast and stylish, lots of energy.

but "fast and stylish and energetic" is not interchangeable with "Rainbow Dash". The song is a fast and stylish and energetic song, not a Rainbow Dash song.

But since the album was aiming for fast and stylish and energetic A LA RAINBOW DASH, I got in R&R (presumably).

does being in a pony album put a shorter shelf life on the song?
does being inspired by Rainbow Dash put a shorter shelf life on the song?

if you ask me, I'd answer no and no.

It's inspired by ponies but the end product is music that I like.

that's what's important.

StevenAD wrote:Yes, I am pissed off about what some people are saying about the album. It's not exactly a good feeling working so hard, achieving a goal, and then having people immediately dismiss you. I'm proud of my song, but jesus.

I honestly don't understand where all of this negativity / dismissal came from.

but I hate hate hate HATE seeing it spread around like some infection.

afaict, the general reaction among non-musicians is positive.
and it's a good album, damnit.

omfg you guys fools IMPUDENT FOOLS actually succeeded in getting sci mad! :o

got him to type more than 90 words too!

but yeah hahaha, "shelf life", man even when i DO sample or remix the show, I gotta be like "Yeah...that's a sample of The Piggy Dance, I know you can't tell w/ all the chopping and trap drums....the piano's from Magical Mystery Cure tho"

Later w/ that "irrelevant" talk, the production status of children's cartoons are of no concern to my music.

Nine Volt wrote:And no, you might not be right. Hurricane Dial was on Balloon Party, remember.

did this man just imply that Canon Best Song on Hurricane Dial was in fact worst song

that plunderphonics master class that kicks in the door wavin' the Four Four, all ya heard was sci don't hit me no more after the perfunctory electro-blah of NOCAB?

we talking about the same song here?

he is surely mistaken. Yes, that's it, he's confusing Hurricane Dial for another song on BP. Phew. I was bout to SAY~!

Nine Volt wrote:Hurricane Dial was not good in the 'high quality' sense. It got on because it was unique and interesting. I liked it, but it was not traditionally good.

YOU MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF*edited by mod*

PYR3LIGHT wrote:Agreed.

HERETICS EVERY, UNCLEAN, I AM A PILGRIM IN AN UNHOLY LAND.

THIS FORUM MUST BE PURGED AND CLEANSED WITH FIRE

Camsy wrote:The only thing that has truly ruined R&R for me is this thread.

mom n dad are fighting again .______.
onlybuilt4ponylinx.tumblr.com

SADFKLJASFJ;KLFDSAJKL;VJKL;FDSJKLIJKL;'WOIJ[RWIJR
MYCUTIEMARKISAGUN

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: A GUN, obviously

Postby Nexgen » 13 Jun 2013 08:13

Let's face it niggas...in the end, Track 55 was best pony. For real.
Nexgen

Postby Tremil » 13 Jun 2013 08:41

Nexgen wrote: niggas....

Tremil

Postby Nexgen » 13 Jun 2013 09:47

Tremil wrote:
Nexgen wrote: niggas....

Huehuehue come on with it!
Nexgen

Postby K3WRO » 14 Jun 2013 03:35

This is Heresy
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby CommandSpry » 14 Jun 2013 05:31

hope you like mixing (:
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby TranquilHooves » 14 Jun 2013 12:23

:(
TranquilHooves

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sick Skrill Wubs™

Postby AJ_ » 16 Jun 2013 16:16

It's been a long time since I've been on this site :?
so who's the mystery tracks?
DAW: Fl Studios, Ableton
VST Companies: Native Instruments, Cakewalk, Pianissimo, Waves, Celemony, Sonivox
Hardware Companies: Akai Professional, M-Audio, Beats by Dr. Dre, Harman (AKG, dbx, Lexicon, Crown, JBL Professional)

https://soundcloud.com/theofficialaj/deadmau5-strobe-aj-piano-cover

http://ponysquare.com/theofficialaj

http://youtube.com/user/AJDUBWUB

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AJ/582707455087438?ref=hl
AJ_

Postby DXsmiley » 18 Jun 2013 01:52

AJ_ wrote:It's been a long time since I've been on this site :?
so who's the mystery tracks?

The mystery track was a remix of Skorp's Style and Speed.
Then there's one called My Desu Pony (EDM is Basketball). (not shown on the bandcamp page)
DXsmiley

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Filtered Arpeggios

Postby Circuitfry » 20 Jun 2013 07:41

Yo guys, sorry to those still actively offering good discussion, but this album is out, and this discussion has gone far enough.

Please avoid devolving into insulting each other and nitpicking each others' music, that ain't cool.

Nexgen stop saying nigga. You too ArtAttack

Topic effin closed

Edit: Also yes, Balloon Party was exactly as much of a drama bomb, there's nothing new with R&R's drama.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Previous

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events