The Brony Rap Wars

Current events we're participating in.

Re: The Brony Rap Wars

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 30 Aug 2012 14:58

You guys don't mind if I make the beat more dubstep style, right? That's all I can seem to make at the moment.

I promise I'll keep vocals in mind and not make it build up to a huge drop. Just 140 bpm and some robotic wubs. I just want t know if that's ok with you guys.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Nothing too heavy. That way you can easily rap over it.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby StevenAD » 30 Aug 2012 16:39

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:You guys don't mind if I make the beat more dubstep style, right? That's all I can seem to make at the moment.

I promise I'll keep vocals in mind and not make it build up to a huge drop. Just 140 bpm and some robotic wubs. I just want t know if that's ok with you guys.

Have you tried rapping over wubs? From what I understand it's best not to compete with wubs because the wubs will win.

Also, I like this idea, though I'm too much of a softie to compete haha
RIP Kiki Havivy. You will be missed...
StevenAD

Postby colortwelve » 30 Aug 2012 18:50

StevenAD wrote:
ChromaticChaosPony wrote:You guys don't mind if I make the beat more dubstep style, right? That's all I can seem to make at the moment.

Have you tried rapping over wubs? From what I understand it's best not to compete with wubs because the wubs will win.

Also, I like this idea, though I'm too much of a softie to compete haha

There are ways...

However, I think that for a big project like this, it might be best not to make the instrumental too showy. Maybe a liquid beat with some highpassed wubs every now and then, or just a semi-aggressive bassline that doesn't conflict with vocal frequencies, as above.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 30 Aug 2012 19:38

Maybe I'll just rip off Obsolete...

Just kidding. But I'm seriously adding some wubs. I'll keep them away from the vocals via EQ and filters. I will also be adding some transformers FX run through a hipass filter. Should make things really cool sounding.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby NytMayr » 31 Aug 2012 14:17

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:
ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Due to school, it might not be until mid September until I can have the beat ready. Sorry for the delay.

It's okay, you're not the only one whose delayed because of school. I just hope this goes better than all the other brony rap competitions out there that have faded away.

*cough*

Well, ahem, past organizational screw-ups aside, count me in.
NytMayr

Postby Mischief Max » 31 Aug 2012 15:05

I love rap, and I would love to participate in this, but Busy Busy Busy!
Mischief Max

Postby versal » 31 Aug 2012 15:39

Mischief Max wrote:I love rap, and I would love to participate in this, but Busy Busy Busy!

but it would be FUN
Youtube
EQbeats
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Add me on Skype 2 "Versal12" i'm the guy with the hedgehog
versal

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 31 Aug 2012 17:45

NytMayr wrote:
FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:
ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Due to school, it might not be until mid September until I can have the beat ready. Sorry for the delay.

It's okay, you're not the only one whose delayed because of school. I just hope this goes better than all the other brony rap competitions out there that have faded away.

*cough*

Well, ahem, past organizational screw-ups aside, count me in.
'
It's okay, those things happen. I just don't want to see this one end prematurely.

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Maybe I'll just rip off Obsolete...

Just kidding. But I'm seriously adding some wubs. I'll keep them away from the vocals via EQ and filters. I will also be adding some transformers FX run through a hipass filter. Should make things really cool sounding.

This beat is going to turn out quite nicely.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 31 Aug 2012 17:56

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:This beat is going to turn out quite nicely.

I sure hope so.

I started on drums and made some interesting glitchy patterns going for 16 bars. I left the following 16 bars without drums (just the song's hook and the beginning of the verse here). I can imagine someone introducing their verse there (shoutouts, boasting, introductions, and whatnot). Then comes the drop...

The drop will make things a bit tricky. I have to leave plenty of room for vocals, meaning that I can't go all brostep on it. I'm going to just try making some weird glitchy robotic sounds in Massive, and the transformers sound effect as a sort of ocassional downlifter. I already made a few cool ones that would work. I'll also leave most of the bass punch up to the sub bass so that it can be bass heavy without obstructing the vocals. And some deep wubs/growls/whatever I come up with.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 31 Aug 2012 17:57

Sorry. No all out bass cannon here. This is supposed to focus on the rappers after all...
ChromaticChaosPony

Previous

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events