The Brony Rap Wars

Current events we're participating in.

The Brony Rap Wars

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 08 Aug 2012 23:55

So I had this excellent idea...

A rap battle with multiple people in it.

Here's how it works:

1. Rappers call their own order for when they want to do their verse.
2. List of the order is made.
3. Rappers make their verses in order.
4. Whoever is clearly the best rapper at the end of it all is the winner.

Rules:

1. There aren't really any rules on content. Be as explicit, graphic, and insulting as you see fit. Violence, drug, and sex references are not only allowed, but encouraged. Its a rap war after all, so the content should be completely ghetto.

2. Record with a fairly decent mic of possible. I want this to have decent audio quality.

3. Feel free to post your verse anywhere. YouTube is encouraged. This is where you may add effects to your vocals.

4. Post a mediafire or dropbox link to the downloadable wav file of the dry vocals for your verse in the description of the Youtube video. Just the originally recorded vocals. No backing track. No effects. No EQ or compression. This is for mixing purposes when we put out the entire thing.

5. You may submit two verses, but not one directly after the other.

6. When it is your turn, you have up to 4 days to finish your verse. If you fail to do this or are unavailable, you will be skipped so that the next person may go. If this happens to you, don't worry. We can always add you to the list again later.

7. No outright racism. It's ok if you say 'nigga' twice (because many rappers do this), or compare types of ponies (like comprairng your flow to Zecora's). But don't insult someone for being black, white, asian, european, hispanic etc.

Tips and advice:

1. Feel free to bash on earlier verses, but balance it out by defending yours. Other people can bash on your verse too.

2. Don't record your entire verse in one take. Take it in sections so that you can get the best quality.

3. If you want to fast rap, make sure your words aren't slurred.

4. Be a little serious, but not too serious. If your verse is a complete joke, it may not be included in the final rap war megamix. Likewise, people will bash all over your verse if you are way too serious.

5. Don't be a complete asshole. Only a little bit of an asshole. If you just hate and complain the entire time, you have no chance of winning.

6. I need to emphasize this point: I will need your dry vocals for mixing.

7. This is open to anyone who thinks the can rap. However, only the bet rappers will actually win.

8. Pretty much all verses will make the megamix. However, if your verse is weak, it will make you look bad. So do your best.

9. The overall judging of the best rapper will be based on who looks the best at the end. Don't only bash or self promote. Balance it.

10. Try to make your lyrics intelligent. Don't limit yourself to petty insults and 3 letter words.

Judging:

1. I'm leaving that to the pros. I'll see if Lulz and Temporal Walker are interested in judging. Unless they decide to submit a verse. In that case, it would be left to a community vote.

2. Judging to decide the winner will happen after the entire rap war has been uploaded to YouTube.

Quality Control:

1. This is seperate from judging. If a verse is half assed or simply not good enough, it will be cut from the rap war.

More info:

1. There isnt a set due date for the entire thing. It depends on how many people want to make verses.

2. We haven't made the beat yet. However, we will have a beat ready within the next 2 weeks.

3. As for this YouTube channel for the event, I'll see if I can get a more well known channel to host the rap war.

4. The moment we finish and release the beat here and on the host YouTube channel, it's lyrical headhunting time. Order goes by who calls it first.

5. I'll remind you: once it's your turn, you have 4 days. 96 hours.

6. If you feel utterly insulted by a verse that hasn't broken any of the stated rules, this might not be for you.

What does the winner get:

1. The winner is crowned "best brony rapper". All other brony rappers are expected to kiss his fat flank unless they can beat him in a rap battle. Maybe this will encourage some bigger new to join. They need to protect their titles after all.

2. I don't know if there will be any prize money involved. However, I think Bandcamp can solve that. The Bandcamp upload would be set to "name your price". Winner earns donation money (howevet much that Becomes). I'm not entirely sure how this would work though. There may not be prize money involved. It depends. Don't get too hopeful yet.

3. Even if you don't win, you'll probably learn something from the entire experience.

I hope you guys are ready for this. Start perfecting your swag now. The Brony Rap War is coming.

I know the name sounds kinda lame. Post suggestions for a better on while we work on the beat.

If you have any questions, post them in this thread so that I can answer them.

More announcements concerning this will be made on Youtube and Tumblr. I don't want to limit this to MLR musicians only.
Last edited by ChromaticChaosPony on 09 Aug 2012 07:15, edited 4 times in total.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: The Brony Rap Wars

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 09 Aug 2012 00:30

Update: when the beat is finished and ready for everyone to rap over, I will make a more official announcement for this. By then, this should also have a better official name.

Im announcing it on YouTube because I want this open to all brony rappers, not just the ones on MLR.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby colortwelve » 09 Aug 2012 00:46

What better way to christen the Eq.S.S. C12 Trying To Rap And Failing Hilariously than by jumping in way over my head to a project I'll make an ass of myself my joining?

Nothing could possibly go wrong here.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby vladnuke » 09 Aug 2012 01:00

Aww shit nigga. C12.
You wanna 1v1 me?
You wanna 1v1 me?
You wanna 1v1 me?
Noscope you with rap skillz
My rapper name is XxxxxXxxxxxXKushDestroyer420XCXXXxxXxxxXxxxxx
vladnuke

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 09 Aug 2012 07:07

colortwelve wrote:What better way to christen the Eq.S.S. C12 Trying To Rap And Failing Hilariously than by jumping in way over my head to a project I'll make an ass of myself my joining?

Nothing could possibly go wrong here.

Colortwelve, I need some help organizing. Could you create an official tumblr page for this?
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby colortwelve » 09 Aug 2012 07:22

Oh God what I do not organization what.

Also, we might have better ways of organization than a Tumblr up our collective sleeve (don't ask, I'm running on no sleep right now).

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 09 Aug 2012 07:40

colortwelve wrote:Oh God what I do not organization what.

Also, we might have better ways of organization than a Tumblr up our collective sleeve (don't ask, I'm running on no sleep right now).

Suggestions?
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Kushy Kallous » 09 Aug 2012 08:38

I posted on a thread that was kinda like this one. :D
I am still down to rap.
To judge ones intellect seems ignorant in reality.
--
New to everything.
https://soundcloud.com/andy-eivaz/madhouse-for-equines-overdose
<non-pony/pony> I just rap
SoundCloud
YouTube
Kushy Kallous

Postby versal » 09 Aug 2012 11:29

alright chaos you KNOW i'm on this right. although i do have to say that just because its rap does not mean it has to be ghetto or have any drug sex or voilent references. but still i'm on this like... like... rainbow's on a dash. yea lets go with taht
Youtube
EQbeats
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Add me on Skype 2 "Versal12" i'm the guy with the hedgehog
versal

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 09 Aug 2012 12:34

versal wrote:alright chaos you KNOW i'm on this right. although i do have to say that just because its rap does not mean it has to be ghetto or have any drug sex or voilent references. but still i'm on this like... like... rainbow's on a dash. yea lets go with taht

I'm just removing content restrictions. I want people to be able to say practically anything they want, in any way they want to say it. Not all rap has to be vulgar, but censoring the competition limits the freedom of the rappers.

Besides, what if someone needs to rhyme the last bar on the word "dick"? Or "fuck"? Or "decapitate" (I don't know who would do that, but it's just an example). Censorship would essentially kill their flow.

By the way, you do not get bonus points for profanity. It's just available for those who feel the need to use it.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby VINXIS » 09 Aug 2012 18:38

I would join, if I didn't fail in rapping..

Also, you're getting a pos. resp. from MLR chromatic :3
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby versal » 09 Aug 2012 20:58

you know i wouldn't mind going first
Youtube
EQbeats
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
versal

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 09 Aug 2012 21:21

I'm so in. If there is any way I can help, I will. As long as drawing or music creation are involved. Music effects and anything else, just don't ask me to create anything. I am absolute crap at music creation. I just have a few... well a decent amount of questions/suggestion. I'm probably asking a little early, but if I am, so be it. It won't hurt anyone.

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:So I had this excellent idea...
4. Post a mediafire or dropbox link to the downloadable wav file of the dry vocals for your verse in the description of the Youtube video. Just the originally recorded vocals. No backing track. No effects. No EQ or compression. This is for mixing purposes when we put out the entire thing.

4. What about shadow vocals, vocals recorded over other vocals to add emphasis or just something different? Are those usable?

5. What's the limit of verses that can be submitted? Also, this is going to be outrageously long if the verses are of a decent length. Maybe you could change the beat up a bit to make the listener less bored and make the song less repetitive. Or just put some variation in it, like a trance-type transition. Just a suggestion.

Lastly, Who will the announcer be, or better, who do you plan on it being? Just curious.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 09 Aug 2012 21:59

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:I'm so in. If there is any way I can help, I will. As long as drawing or music creation are involved. Music effects and anything else, just don't ask me to create anything. I am absolute crap at music creation. I just have a few... well a decent amount of questions/suggestion. I'm probably asking a little early, but if I am, so be it. It won't hurt anyone.

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:So I had this excellent idea...

4. What about shadow vocals, vocals recorded over other vocals to add emphasis or just something different? Are those usable?

5. What's the limit of verses that can be submitted? Also, this is going to be outrageously long if the verses are of a decent length. Maybe you could change the beat up a bit to make the listener less bored and make the song less repetitive. Or just put some variation in it, like a trance-type transition. Just a suggestion.

Lastly, Who will the announcer be, or better, who do you plan on it being? Just curious.

Shadow vocals are fine. However, make sure to put them separate from the main vocals for mixing. I won't care too much if you put effects on it, because it shouldn't be as centered ans the main vocals.

If possible, I will put subtle variations in the beat for each person who is up.

I will accept as many good verses as possible, whether it's 4 people's verses or 40 people submitting verses.

You are not required to submit 2 verses, you can submit only 1. 2 per rapper is the max.

I will see if I can get Temporal Walker or IBringDaLulz to announce this. No guarantees that they will.

Mic the Microphone has school, so he will be on hiatus anyways.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby colortwelve » 09 Aug 2012 22:42

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Mic the Microphone has school, so he will be on hiatus anyways.

Also, screw that guy :lol:

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Kushy Kallous » 10 Aug 2012 01:26

colortwelve wrote:
ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Mic the Microphone has school, so he will be on hiatus anyways.

Also, screw that guy :lol:

I lold at that line too. :D
--
New to everything.
SoundCloud
YouTube
Kushy Kallous

Postby MorteMcAdaver » 10 Aug 2012 03:19

Here's how I prefer to rap:

MorteMcAdaver's SoundCloud
http://www.youtube.com/mortemcadaver

Glory to Chrysalis.

Pandora's Toybox (Cynical/Gothic Circus Rock)
Sorrowseed (Melodic Apocalyptic Metal)
Blacksoul Seraphim (Fallen Angelic Doom)
MorteMcAdaver

Postby versal » 10 Aug 2012 08:54

MorteMcAdaver wrote:Here's how I prefer to rap:

alrighty lets brawl
Youtube
EQbeats
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
versal

Postby indeable » 10 Aug 2012 17:00

well if this goes anywhere count me in.
email: indeable@gmail
im a lyricist that’s all i really do. Hit me up i might write for you.
indeable

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 14 Aug 2012 08:53

Making the beat. It might be slightly more hip-hop style, but I will make sure it is ghetto enough for a real rap battle.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Kushy Kallous » 14 Aug 2012 14:45

Big ups Chromatic, thanks for setting this up and following through (I hope!!)
Looking forward to hearing the beat.
--
New to everything.
SoundCloud
YouTube
Kushy Kallous

Postby versal » 27 Aug 2012 14:28

well my first verse is done. ironic i wrote it for soemthing else but this would be PERFECT for the verse. let's see you all take on, the greatest rapper PERIOD.
Youtube
EQbeats
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
versal

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 27 Aug 2012 16:00

Due to school, it might not be until mid September until I can have the beat ready. Sorry for the delay.
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby ElliottXP1 » 27 Aug 2012 16:36

im in.
Software: Protools SE
Hardware: AVID professional studio usb mic
Willing to do Rap and Singing, no compositions.
ElliottXP1

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 30 Aug 2012 11:09

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:Due to school, it might not be until mid September until I can have the beat ready. Sorry for the delay.

It's okay, you're not the only one whose delayed because of school. I just hope this goes better than all the other brony rap competitions out there that have faded away.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events