League of Extraordinary Gentlecolts? (idea)

Current events we're participating in.

League of Extraordinary Gentlecolts? (idea)

Postby Belgerum » 06 Aug 2012 19:37

I don't know if any of you have heard of this "League of Extraordinary Gentlecolts" that's happened on Fimfiction.net. If you haven't heard of it,take a look here: http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/54346

In short, some of the fanfic writers decided to swap stories. Authors paired up, wrote stories, and then had the other author post it, passing it as their own work. A few weeks later, this whole plot was revealed, and the fics were credited to their original authors. The results were rather interesting, with some less-than-popular writers getting a huge amount of popularity for some of the stories they wrote, and some of the more famous writers got less than they would have gotten in the hooves of their original authors.

In my opinion, this league was a great idea, and I'd love to see what could result if we musicians gave it a try. I'm not expecting to see anyone of huge influence come to grant popularity to the less popular in a grand movement, nor am I expecting many people will be interested. (though I hope some will!)

Overall, however, I will simply say that I would be willing to partner with somepony if they want, but if you guys want the maximum amount of surprise to come from this, then I'm thinking something more organized than a crazy "I will do this, note me if interested" thread would be best.

For now, I'm thinking if anyone who is interested would just PM me, stating interest. I could make a list of participants, share it with nopony, and PM people back an artist for them to work with, chosen by random, or perhaps another method. Then the two artists could work on two songs, and post them as each other, and let hilarity ensue for a while before revealing the true musicians behind each track. The point of all this would be so that nobody, even the other pairs artists, would know that the songs were switched, and the reveal would be as much to the music community itself as to the public.

Again, this is just an idea in the works, and I'm just ripping off the amazing writers who came up with this idea originally, but I think this could be a great opportunity.

For now, discuss, and maybe I'll set this up and run it, or just let people pair up by themselves if they want to.
Belgerum: Musician, organizer of the "Lesser Knowns" albums, and total weirdo.

Youtube - Skype
Belgerum

Primary: Reason 6.5
Cutie Mark: Muthaf***ing Rainbows

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlecolts? (idea)

Postby vladnuke » 06 Aug 2012 19:58

We would need to pair the more well known guys with people who are lesser known, for the best effect. Each would try to do a song in eachother's style. Or idk, each would make whatever.
vladnuke

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 19 Aug 2012 11:54

This is actually a cool idea. Bump.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby LoreRD » 19 Aug 2012 11:57

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:This is actually a cool idea. Bump.

^^Exactly what this person said :D
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Anorax » 19 Aug 2012 19:53

I like this idea. However, it can't exactly be "at random", for instance, if for some strange reason The Living Tombstone or say, Glaze caught wind of this and they joined in, everyone would know right away who did their songs. However, people with less-unique/recognizable musical styles, or those who aren't over-the-top famous could pull this off a lot easier. (bump I guess)
DAW: Mixcraft 6
3rd Party VSTs: Alien 303 Bass Synthesizer, Various Angular Momentum Products, Artemis, Combo Organ Models V+F, Daedalus, iloSynth1, Impuse, Messiah, MinimogueVA, oxytocin, P8, various Togu Audio Line products, Synth1, TS-Substance, VB3 Organ
Youtube
Soundcloud
Anorax

Postby Habanc » 19 Aug 2012 23:17

I make pretty much standard progressive & electro house, and my subs are in the teens so I hardly doubt anyone would know.

I think it's a neat idea.
DAW: FL 10 | Main VSTs: Zebra2, Massive, Nexus | Genres: Progressive House & Electro House
Habanc

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 20 Aug 2012 09:53

People might figure out which one is mine if they know me.

I recently started making a bunch of digusting bass and transformers sound in Massive. If a song sound like Megatron vomiting at 140 bpm, it's probably me.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Belgerum » 20 Aug 2012 10:53

Well, I suppose that the logical problem that some people may figure this out before we reveal it is kind of a biggie.

Unfortunately, I just got to college, and no longer have the time to really organize random pairings. If anyone wants to try this idea out by finding someone you think sounds a good deal like you do, feel free to PM them about it and see about working through something. This is just an idea, but feel free to use it if you'd like.
Belgerum: Musician, organizer of the "Lesser Knowns" albums, and total weirdo.

Youtube - Skype
Belgerum

Primary: Reason 6.5
Cutie Mark: Muthaf***ing Rainbows

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events