Anyhow, here's my take on it. Add four bars either to the beginning or to the end of the current piece of music. Render new conjoined piece of music, then upload somewhere for the next person to have a go.
And that's basically it!
Rules: ------------- 1. Everyone and anyone can join!
2. Please do not mock or deride others' contributions. This is for fun, not for producing High Art.
3. You can sample from the rest of the existing track all you like and manipulate it in your own section, if you want, but prrrooooobably don't change or overwrite other's contributions. (Unless people decide that that would be a better approach.) Edit: I think that doing some processing and adding new sounds to the previous section is probably fine if it makes it lead more smoothly into the next one.
4. Feel free to go off in any other direction you want. Change the beat, change the tempo, change the key, if you feel so inclined; and of course your own addition is already almost guaranteed to be using different samples and synthesizer patches anyway. [EDIT: Important! If you change the tempo and/or time signature, you must tell us about it when you post! Thanks.] That brings me to the next point:
5. While we're not going to try terribly hard for consistency here, at least PRETEND to make a half-hearted good-faith effort to link your section to the next or previous section somehow. Or, y'know, don't, whatever. (DISCORD SHALL REIGN SUPREME!) That doesn't mean you have to sample from the other sections, but it might mean using similar melodies, rhythms, or textures.
6. First come, first serve. Whoever says "My turn!" next adds their section, and the others must wait until s/he finishes and returns the project, at which point whoever was next in line takes it.
7. There may be a time limit. If you take more than, like, 2 days to add something, your turn may be forfeit. (Come on, it's only four bars. Just don't call for a turn if you know you'll be busy with other stuff, we'll still be here when you get back!)
8. You can go more than once, but give others a chance too, please!
9. Please submit lossless files only! (WAV or AIFF. I like FLAC too, but not everyone can use those.)
10. Please don't add effects to your DAW's master channel/bus or whatever, because they'll be modifying the earlier/later sections too, and we don't want that. ------------
THE "GRAVEYARD" (Ponies who have been declared MIA or had to pass their turn. You will always be remembered...) Fluttersine Rainbowjack Legion apple boom That_One_Dood Rainbowjack (AGAIN!) TheDnBGremlin (May Gremlin's spirit live on...) DijiTwitch Obrum
Last edited by prettiestPony on 21 Sep 2012 03:54, edited 63 times in total.
_________________ Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol): email: email@example.com
Post subject: Re: The 4-bar MLR Mega Insanity Collab Calamity
Posted: 12 Jun 2012 23:30
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 23:46 Posts: 836 Location: Los Angeles, CA
The deadline for this is two days, right? I'm not sure I'll be able to put up my part until tomorrow. That okay with everyone?
It's not a deadline, It's max time, after you pass 2 days we assumed you forfeit
What I was meaning to say XD well alright then I'll have something up by tomorrow. Just that everyone else in the house is asleep right now and I can't do a whole lot of music-making when that happens.