Role Pony Game: Music Selection Info

Current events we're participating in.

Role Pony Game: Music Selection Info

Postby ClutterTrot » 16 Jul 2011 23:46

There isn't a more appropriate category for this topic? Oh well.

As I'm pretty sure only 2 of you (DH and VS) know, I'm working on a project called "Role Pony Game", the game has an actual title but I'm not revealing it just yet. Anyway, I would first like to thank you all, because without me having to even ask for me, you have made about 85% on your own. If you'd like more info about it, you can find it in this journal entry which contains the actual current music selection. Now seriously, look at that, you've put making songs for scenes I'd thought I would have to request. :shock:

Q#1: What are you looking for in a song?
-First of all, it must be catchy and it must fit a scene I plan to use.

-No lyrics, or at least no persistent lyrics, because mainly it really hurts where I can use a song. If a charator It's also one of the no no's of video game music, as persistent lyrics can get annoying fast looping over and over again.

-No background sounds either, for the same reason. If there's rain sfx in song for example, it'll force me to put rain scene somehow into whatever scene I want to that song in.

-Direct parodies of anything, will not be used.

Q#2: Have you already selected music?
A: Yes, I have informally selected tracks from Makkon, Notacloverpony, Euro Beat Bronie, and others. I'll start making the formal selections once I near a finalized track selection.

Q#3: Is there anything special that needs to be done to the music?
A: Short answer yes, but it all can be done from my end. First of all, the track will be converted to the OGG format for technical reasons. Second it will have special tags placed in it called "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH", which will allow the song to have an intro that won't repeat when the song start over. Now these tags will be measured in "samples", which is sound's version of sub-pixels. And not those lazy 3-bar sub-pixels, I mean those buff 9-dot sub-pixels. So yay, that part is going to be fun...

Q#4: Will the tracks be altered any more than that?
A: For the most part no, but this will be case by case basis, and tracks that will be altered will not be altered significantly. First of all, any unneeded silence at the beginning will be trimmed away, I want these songs to be played on cue. Second, certain tracks, are close to fitting thier selected scenes, but are only missing one thing: The proper pace. Or to phase it meme speak: "It needs to be about twenty percent faster."

Now I actually cringe at the thought of doing this because I don't like the idea of messing with somepony else's work at all. But if you think Euro Beat Brony's "Evil Enchantress" sounds like boss music now, try playing it 20 percent faster. Now I'm only going to do this IF IT MAKES THE TRACK FIT THE SCENE BETTER, otherwise all it's going to get is the OGG reformat and LOOP tags put in, plus the silence trimming if it needs it.

Also, any part of the song not conductive to the mood of the scene will also be trimmed.

Q#5: Why did you take so long to start requesting songs?
A: Because honestly, everyday I checked Equestria Daily for new music, the list of music I needed got shorter and shorter else. Honestly music I thought I had to ask for just came on it's own. The MLP musical community is just awesome!

When I release the tech demo, I'm going to include an webpage in the zip that contains all the links that made it into my "project links" folder in my bookmarks. Every track that I thought I had a use for is in there. And some tracks that have caught my ear.

Q#6: I want to make a song just for this game, do you have any guidelines?
A: There should be no vocals, but choirs are okay. Try to aim for one of the scenes that hasn't be filled. Also, make sure that the looping points are far apart and indistinct from each other, Luna's chosen theme song has a minute long intro, followed by an 8 second loop because an indistinct looping point couldn't be found earlier in the song.

Now I've almost completely the list, and I've yet to formally ask permissions from each and every artist, but once those two things are done, well the sound track won't be "finalized" but it will certainly be ready to go.

Now if you want to know more about the actual game just look at my other DA journal entries, they're about nothing else. I'm also working on a pony sprite template, but I'm not ready to release it yet. I've also got an RPGmaker VX engine working the way I want it to, I just need to test out a "Multiple Party and Inventories" script I just installed. I release the tech demo as soon as it contains something else besides esoteric testing events.
ClutterTrot

Re: Role Pony Game: Music Selection Info

Postby ClutterTrot » 15 Aug 2011 23:44

I don't like to double post, but I figured that this is better than starting a new thread.

An update to what has been selected can be found here.
http://cluttertrot.deviantart.com/journal/43291083/
ClutterTrot

Postby Senator Myth » 16 Aug 2011 10:46

I guess I missed this thread the first time it was posted, but holy crap one of my songs is on the list of songs you want to use <3

I'm just going to say here that of course you can use Sweet Apple Acres if you'd like. However, since it was my very first song, I do intend to someday pretty soon release a "remastered" version (basically, I used a lot more reverb on the original than was necessary. Oops. I'll just be toning that down and making a few other adjustments.)

So you'll probably want to end up using that one instead. But I'm just happy someone liked my music enough to consider putting it in a game!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Makkon » 16 Aug 2011 16:35

Whoa, I got 10 entries! O_O

And you're more than welcome to use them. Thanks!
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Stars In Autumn » 16 Aug 2011 18:46

Ahh yeah, I got the ending credits! You can use whatever I got.

That's an awesome selection of music.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Interrobang Pie » 17 Aug 2011 03:41

*Special Boss: Interrobang Pie's "Applejack Fights Off Raving Parasprites"

You're using THAT piece of shit?!?! Very well.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 17 Aug 2011 05:11

Lol, I'm shocked if anything of mine gets anywhere, but I got one slot here! Yay!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby ClutterTrot » 17 Aug 2011 16:19

Dr_Dissonance wrote:Lol, I'm shocked if anything of mine gets anywhere, but I got one slot here! Yay!

Oh, you must be looking at the old list, on the current list you actually have two and counting. You have the slots for "Very Cross Ponies" and "Timeless Threat", the themes for the evil minions and one of the three big bads respectively.

"Sunset" is a very long track that covers more than one mood, I'm giving it quite a few listens actually to figure out what can go where. It's got "Evil Exposition" down that's for sure, the other parts are still in consideration for other scenes.

Interrobang Pie wrote:
*Special Boss: Interrobang Pie's "Applejack Fights Off Raving Parasprites"

You're using THAT piece of shit?!?! Very well.

Well it inspired a scene, which happens to be [spoiler]a boss fight with Big Mac's evil doppelganger[/spoiler].

Senator Myth wrote:I guess I missed this thread the first time it was posted, but holy crap one of my songs is on the list of songs you want to use <3

I'm just going to say here that of course you can use Sweet Apple Acres if you'd like. However, since it was my very first song, I do intend to someday pretty soon release a "remastered" version (basically, I used a lot more reverb on the original than was necessary. Oops. I'll just be toning that down and making a few other adjustments.)

So you'll probably want to end up using that one instead. But I'm just happy someone liked my music enough to consider putting it in a game!

If it gets posted on EQD I'll be aware of it. You actually have 3 slots on the list by the way, Everfree forest, Celestia's theme and the Ghost town.
ClutterTrot

Postby Pickslide1992 » 20 Aug 2011 15:38

Wow, I already have a few tracks in already. I'm not the guy to have an ego, but I'm actually on the same pedestal as Eurobeat. (Faints)
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby ClutterTrot » 22 Aug 2011 17:12

I just updated the list. And I now I'd like to put out a formal call for jingles. I am in desperate need of the jingles, badly. While I have two already picked out, I felt that a short 8-bit was simply not an appropriate jingle to hear every time you won a battle. Since RPG Maker let's me change out the Victory Jingle, I'm going to ask for one of those as well.

Also, I've went ahead and put together a permissions check list so I can make sure that I get everypony's permission. Two new additions to list are ByCeletiasBeard and OrchestralDesign So I'll have to send them an Email or YouTube PM.

Also nice to you see that you've joined the forums Pickslide.
ClutterTrot

Postby Senator Myth » 22 Aug 2011 17:50

I'd probably be willing to take a stab at some of those jingles. Just give me a basic idea of about how long you'd like them to be, and I'll be happy to give it a shot.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby ClutterTrot » 22 Aug 2011 20:20

Oh I knew I forgot something in that post... Anyway, the Jingles need to be between 3 to 8 seconds long. I think only the "Major Victory" and "Game Over" will need to be anywhere that long though.

Off the Top of my head, I will need:
*Plain Victory Jingle
*Major Victory Jingle
*Game Over Jingle
*Got a Key Item Jingle
*Shocking reveal Jingle
*Shocking surprise Jingle
*Something Silly just happened Jingle
*Something Mysterious just happened

Is having 2 different Jingles for "Shocking surprise" and "Shocking reveal" redundant? Those feel like 2 different things but still.
ClutterTrot

Postby Senator Myth » 24 Aug 2011 20:01

http://soundcloud.com/senator-myth/victoryjingle-demo

Alright, Brony! Here's a quick demo for you to critique: standard victory jingle, then the major victory jingle after it. If you like these, I'll keep on making them. Any thoughts or suggestions you have for this, I'd love to hear 'em.

Question about the key item jingle: is that supposed to be for situations like the famous Zelda tune that plays when you open an important treasure chest, etc? Is there a seperate tune for when you obtain more regular items, or would this be used for both?
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby ClutterTrot » 24 Aug 2011 23:30

Question about the key item jingle: is that supposed to be for situations like the famous Zelda tune that plays when you open an important treasure chest, etc? Is there a seperate tune for when you obtain more regular items, or would this be used for both?

Ironic that you ask that because what you posted works better as the Get Key Item Jungle than it does Victory Jungle.

To actually answer your question however, the Get Key Item Jingle would be played when an item that allows the story to advance, such as a key for a door. Getting any generic item that would be found in a chest would get a chest opening noise or a "BLOOP" sound effect if acquired through other means, as done in Final Fantasy 4. Zelda isn't really an RPG, it's an adventure game with an Fantasy setting, and item acquisition handled slightly differently. It has SFXs and Jungles for individual field drops, small chests and Large chests. Role Pony Game won't be able to play a tune automatically for every time an item drops from a monster, so there's no need for that. Chest creation has a built in shortcut in RPG maker VX so I just need a tune or sound effect I like, and getting key items will be restricted to events, both story progressive and post-battle.

Now back to why I think what you posted isn't suitable for the victory theme. First off and it's something that's completely superficial: I was expecting the "My Little Pony, My Little Pony" chord progression to be used. That chord progression is used when Twilight is reading Nightmare Moon story, when the Elements are formed into necklaces, and in Not a Clever Pony's "Lower the Moon". I want the player to be reminding that every battle s/he's wins is for the glory of Equestia.

Second, a bit too little enough energy. The Victory theme needs more energy than what you have presented. I wanted to use the RPG Maker VX default victory jingles as examples because they're good ones but since I can't access those right now here are the jingles from Final Fantasy 5.

Only the first 4 second are the Jingle, the rest is the victory theme. Role Pony Game's engine won't let me have a persistent victory theme after the jungle so forget about that part. But those first 4 seconds are full of energy and let me know I have won the battle.

Now while there isn't as much energy here in the Major Victory Theme, it's a bit longer, and it's a similar, but distinctly a different flavor of music, that let's me know that not only have I won the battle but have also turned the tide somehow.

Now what you have posted are good tunes, unless your unhappy with it I'm going to use them as the Get Key Item Jungles, which tune to be used will be decided on how each item effects the story.

Whoa, it's weird having to describe music, I've only had to listen to it before now. I'm not even 100% sure what a chord progression is... How you seen its wikipedia entry, it's scary.
ClutterTrot

Postby ClutterTrot » 04 Sep 2011 04:26

I hate to double bumb again but I've updated the list slighty.
http://cluttertrot.deviantart.com/journal/43495511/

I've also made a post regarding updating the story during Season 2
http://cluttertrot.deviantart.com/journal/43840911/
ClutterTrot

Postby Kil » 11 Sep 2011 00:58

I see some of my 8 bit tunes in there. I don't think 8 bit works too well alongside higher quality music unless you have some kind of 8 bit minigame thing incorporated into the game. If you really wanted to use those songs I could make some better versions of them.
Kil

Postby ClutterTrot » 12 Sep 2011 00:46

I was going to request that but I honestly Fluttershyed on the issue. I told myself that for what the tracks where going to be used for, that they were appropriate , but I digress. If you want to make the, um... "conventional" sounding versions then go ahead and I'll use them.

I'd better rundown the 8-bit tracks I plan to use just for reference:

Kil's "So Many Wonders RPG Battle Mix" and "Psychoshy battle"
This will be a 2 part battle, I was going to claim that the 8-bit tunes are a hint that you are not really fighting final boss, as the game is going to make you think that you are. Note that I'm not going to use one conventional tune and one chip tune for this 2-part battle so keep that in mind.

Interrobang Pie's "Hop Skip and Jump Beta (8-bit)"
This will be for when silly things are persistently happening. It's fine as an 8-bit tune.

Kil's "CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS 8-bit JRPG BATTLE"
Since the CMC will be present for this battle, it's fine being 8-bit.

Kil's "MLP FiM WINTER WRAP UP 8BIT BOSS BATTLE."
The game will feature dungeons based off the elements of harmony, but due to the way the story is structured, there can't be a dungeon of magic within the linear story line. So this dungeon is hidden, so hidden that it's an alternate way to complete the game. Since it's a non-canon dungeon, it doesn't matter if it's a conventional track or a chip tone track.

Kil's "MLP Main Theme JRPG Battle Mix."
Now this one I in all honesty want a conventional version of, because it's going to be used in one of the most pivotal battles in the game.

Kil's "At the Gala 8-bit."
As for the defeat portion, go ahead, I need a good game over theme. As for victory theme, I'm on the fence, because I want the "My Little Pony, My Little Pony" Chord Progression to be in the victory theme.
ClutterTrot

Postby ClutterTrot » 08 Dec 2011 22:16

Double posting AGAIN for fun and profit, YAY!

Sorry that you haven't herd from me in awhile. Had quite a bit of IRL to deal with. Also, due to some wicked black friday deals I managed to score, I had to transition over to a new computer which took quite a bit of time. And while I haven't been updating my Music Selection List like I should, I have keeping tabs on Brony Made Music.

I guess I'll start with the biggest news first, ROLE PONY GAME NOW HAS A BASE CANDIDATE FOR THE FINAL BOSS MUSIC.

Now I say base candidate instead of regular candidate because while it contains most of the elements needed for the Final Boss Battle, it's arranged to be an emotional piece, not a battle score. But ultimately, this has very much of what I want the Final Boss Music to sound like.

Pros:
-It's dark and brooding, identifying that is something at stake.
-It has the MLP theme song underlying the piece, very important.
-It has a strong identifiable chorus.

Cons:
-The introduction of the song lacks a strong identity which separates from the rest of the piece.
-It's lacks a consistent base line of energy needed for a battle score, even when sped up.
-No Choirs, final bosses love choirs. (In moderation).
-The more dramatic parts of the piece are too short, not lasting long enough.
-I don't think I can loop this piece without the use of cross fading. Remember that RPGmaker lets me create a looped section that skips over the beginning and end of a song.

One other issue is that this piece doesn't contain any Luna Deos, but since Luna Deos no longer reflects who the last boss is going to be, it's a moot point. Also, I don't know how to feel about piano solo, it make's a wicked "eye of the storm" atmosphere but transition back kind of hurts the mood of the piece. I not sure how it should be handled...

Bottom line, I want a version of this piece that's more concise to battle, not emotion. To better illustrate what I mean, listen to the following.

WARNING: 16-bit shriek at very end of video, very loud, very annoying!

That was Pure Odio, from the Japan Only release Live-A-Live. That song has Strong Identifying Intro, and it never gets too subdued and loses it's focus as a battle score. There's a lot of emotion (fear) in this piece, but always reminds the player that he is in a battle.

One last thing, who ever handles the "I'll Come Back For You" Remix, the 3 boss battles before it will be backed by Defence of Canterlot, Celestia Rage and Applejack Bucks 400 Apple Trees (Instrumental). So what ever you make, it's going to have to outbattle those 3 songs. No pressure there, nope!

In other news, I'm actively working on the sprite template again, and the actual project file as well. I hope to be out of pre-alpha by January! Also, because The Sweetest Bell made A Creature Catcher's Nightmare, the Chapter 2 end boss is now a single battle instead of 2.
ClutterTrot

Postby thattechnique » 27 Dec 2011 11:49

Here's a loop I made. I don't think MLP Online will want it because they don't want any 8-bit.
http://that-technique.deviantart.com/#/d4kc6ys
If you'd like to use it, let me know. I'll link you to the file in whatever format you need.
thattechnique

Postby ClutterTrot » 30 Dec 2011 18:09

thattechnique wrote:Here's a loop I made. I don't think MLP Online will want it because they don't want any 8-bit.
http://that-technique.deviantart.com/#/d4kc6ys
If you'd like to use it, let me know. I'll link you to the file in whatever format you need.

I have no problem using 8-bit music go ahead and link it. An MP3 should do.
ClutterTrot

Postby thattechnique » 31 Dec 2011 14:35

ClutterTrot wrote:I have no problem using 8-bit music go ahead and link it. An MP3 should do.

Alrighty, here it is. http://www.mediafire.com/?aatubaufd1rt5nn
thattechnique

Postby ClutterTrot » 31 Dec 2011 15:35

Awesome sauce.

Anyway, the holidays are kicking my flank in terms of productivity. I'll update the list as soon as I get my stride back.

EDIT:
For those of you interested. This is what happened to thattechnique's song.

1: MP3 was downloaded and put into the testing map and then allowed to play in full.
2: 2 things were noticed, the opening was abrupt and the loop was stilted.
3: MP3 was then loaded in to Audacity, about 1800 samples (about 4/100th of a second) of silence were at very end of the track, which was removed.
4: First 5 seconds were copied and pasted to very end of track.
5: A Fade-in effect was then placed upon the first 5 seconds at the very beginning.
6: To conserve disk space, the stereo track was converted to a mono track. (I have SO MANY songs to include...)
7: Track was also converted to .ogg, but for technical reasons, RPG maker can't loop MP3s.
8: During export, the tags "LOOPSTART 220500" and "LOOPLENGTH 5080188" were added in, these tags allow RPGmaker to loop the song as desired.

Here's the RPGmaker loopable version if there's any interest.
http://www.mediafire.com/?78qeg9occi5rit7

DOUBLE EDIT WHILE BUMP IS STILL FRESH:

I have reevaluated what I want from "I'll Come Back for You" as the Final Boss music. I have decided to play the song at 140% and have decided that my only real problems with it is that there isn't a viable looping point, and that the somber portion of the song is too long and kind of kills the battle mood that is provided by the more dramatic portions of the song.

Now a good song that has a viable looping point would be "Defense of Canterlot",

It could be looped and ready to use in just under a few minutes, I would just have to find the right samples.

I also found a better song to reference, since I got tired of Pure Odio shrieking at me. So here it is, Lucia vs Zophar.

(Sample the goods of that theme in use here, not embedded because it is the final boss and all.)
This song is a better to use as an reference because it's not as frantic as Pure Odio. A bit more triumphant though and that's not what I'm looking for. "I'll Come Back for You" is in essence everything I want in the final boss theme. It's got a distinct feeling of finality, the MLP theme is woven into it, I just need there to be a viable looping point and for the somber parts to fit in better with the theme of desperation, you are trying to stop the pony apocalypse after all.

No somepony make a remix of "sample my goods".
ClutterTrot

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events