Toast Beard Compo General

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Overkillius » 14 Jul 2011 07:35

GAH! I am pretty sure that this starts at 10:00PM on Saturday night where I am. I am also pretty sure that Carmen will be over at 9:45PM and that I need 30 minutes to get home. (not to mention hanging up costumes washing off makeup etc.) Would it be at all possible if the sync listen were moved by about half an hour? or am I asking too much for selfish reasons?
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
User avatar
Overkillius
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 11:10
Location: Atascocita, Texas
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby sci » 14 Jul 2011 23:05

Sorry, I want to keep the deadline constant.

if you had asked for 5 minutes, that would be fine (and about a normal delay between deadline and sync-listen start!)...but half an hour is a bit much. :\

Your best bet may be to submit as close to the deadline as you can, so that hopefully the sync-listen is still going when you arrive.
User avatar
sci
 
Posts: 369
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 15:26
Location: music
OS: WinXP, plus a Win 98 laptop
Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Circuitfry » 15 Jul 2011 01:33

Are we having another sync listen, then? I wasn't sure about what you meant when you said "sync listen GO" I was expecting some sort of link or I dunno bplpblblplbpl
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

WE BROKE IT: http://circuitfry.bandcamp.com/album/we-broke-it
BALLOON PARTY: http://balloonparty.bandcamp.com/
THEORY OF LOVE: http://circuitfry.bandcamp.com/album/theory-of-love
User avatar
Circuitfry
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:01
OS: GNU/Linux 3.2.0-61-generic
Primary: LMMS 1.0.0 & Bitwig
Cutie Mark: Lead Development

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Overkillius » 15 Jul 2011 12:16

sci wrote:Sorry, I want to keep the deadline constant.

if you had asked for 5 minutes, that would be fine (and about a normal delay between deadline and sync-listen start!)...but half an hour is a bit much. :\

Your best bet may be to submit as close to the deadline as you can, so that hopefully the sync-listen is still going when you arrive.


I got home last night about 15 minutes after when the deadline is supposed to be on saturday, so hopefully you aren't too far into the sync listen by then.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
User avatar
Overkillius
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 11:10
Location: Atascocita, Texas
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Whitetail » 15 Jul 2011 12:38

Wooo 5 hours
I just love turning this into a speed composing challenge for myself don't I....

Welp, that orchestral djent piece I'm planning isn't going to write itself...
Image
User avatar
Whitetail
 
Posts: 385
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 17:04

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby sci » 15 Jul 2011 12:47

I got home last night about 15 minutes after when the deadline is supposed to be on saturday, so hopefully you aren't too far into the sync listen by then.

looking at the last sync-listen...that lasted something like 50 minutes! You can probably make it halfway. :)


Are we having another sync listen, then? I wasn't sure about what you meant when you said "sync listen GO" I was expecting some sort of link or I dunno

I always have a sync-listen after deadline.
however, I don't remember posting about the sync listen without a link. I wouldn't be surprised if I did because I get a little overwhelmed sometimes (haaa...yeah), but usually I post a link to the compo page and the IRC.
in this case:
http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/ZIQ03/index.php
http://webchat.irchighway.net/?channels=bronymusic

everything else I usually explain in IRC when applicable. :D

I just love turning this into a speed composing challenge for myself don't I....
all the better!
I'm pulling last minute stuff more often than I'd like, too. ;p

Edit: OH, and did I mention? This thread is also for theme suggestions.
Feel free to toss out some ideas.
(but first, make sure it's a theme you can respond to with any set up...be it a piano and a camcorder or a softsynth-only DAW.)
User avatar
sci
 
Posts: 369
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 15:26
Location: music
OS: WinXP, plus a Win 98 laptop
Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Whitetail » 15 Jul 2011 13:12

Oh derp, no clue why I read 1 day and 5 hours as just 5 hours, that's much more plausible
Image
User avatar
Whitetail
 
Posts: 385
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 17:04

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Jul 2011 14:36

I totally should get off my arse and make something for this.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 14:49

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Overkillius » 15 Jul 2011 14:59

Sci, you should try to get the next competition announced on equestria daily (as well as the results from this one). That is if you haven't already tried.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
User avatar
Overkillius
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 11:10
Location: Atascocita, Texas
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby sci » 15 Jul 2011 21:04

Overkillius wrote:Sci, you should try to get the next competition announced on equestria daily (as well as the results from this one). That is if you haven't already tried.

I sent sethisto info about the compo system twice before I had the compos running (in an attempt to get people aware of it), and once after the first round. Each time he had pretty much the same reaction: "Neat. But......what?"
Basically he has no idea how to describe it...and neither do I!

So I now I feel bad about emailing him and not being any better at describing what the thing is.

If someone is good at describing things, feel free to email seth. I'll stand a few meters back and give you thumbs up and fluttershy-teir cheering and stuff.
User avatar
sci
 
Posts: 369
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 15:26
Location: music
OS: WinXP, plus a Win 98 laptop
Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Circuitfry » 15 Jul 2011 21:12

Theme suggestions for next week:

  • Voice acting skit featuring at least one mane 6 character. By yourself.
  • Use the "louder" sample from Sonic Rainboom in the worst way possible.
  • A song that would accompany a fiction (aka something Squeak-like).
  • Full-blown testosterone.
  • A music video, but you cannot use any of the show as video.
  • Secret butt fun
  • An elaborate review of a remixer's work.
  • A pony earns their mark.
  • Remix yourself.
  • The 60s/70s.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

WE BROKE IT: http://circuitfry.bandcamp.com/album/we-broke-it
BALLOON PARTY: http://balloonparty.bandcamp.com/
THEORY OF LOVE: http://circuitfry.bandcamp.com/album/theory-of-love
User avatar
Circuitfry
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:01
OS: GNU/Linux 3.2.0-61-generic
Primary: LMMS 1.0.0 & Bitwig
Cutie Mark: Lead Development

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Aussie » 15 Jul 2011 22:50

Circuitfry wrote:Theme suggestions for next week:

  • Voice acting skit featuring at least one mane 6 character. By yourself.
  • Use the "louder" sample from Sonic Rainboom in the worst way possible.
  • A song that would accompany a fiction (aka something Squeak-like).
  • Full-blown testosterone.
  • A music video, but you cannot use any of the show as video.
  • Secret butt fun
  • An elaborate review of a remixer's work.
  • A pony earns their mark.
  • Remix yourself.
  • The 60s/70s.


Or all of the above.
User avatar
Aussie
 
Posts: 275
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 19:31

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Overkillius » 15 Jul 2011 23:55

sci wrote:
Overkillius wrote:Sci, you should try to get the next competition announced on equestria daily (as well as the results from this one). That is if you haven't already tried.

I sent sethisto info about the compo system twice before I had the compos running (in an attempt to get people aware of it), and once after the first round. Each time he had pretty much the same reaction: "Neat. But......what?"
Basically he has no idea how to describe it...and neither do I!

So I now I feel bad about emailing him and not being any better at describing what the thing is.

If someone is good at describing things, feel free to email seth. I'll stand a few meters back and give you thumbs up and fluttershy-teir cheering and stuff.


I'm sure if we got something to copy pasta, he would be into putting it up. I don't plan to do that for this one because I am busy... I need to sleep and then get up early to finish my composition (DERPY HOOVES HAS 8 WINGS... I don't think she is growing any more... this stuff is hard if you are doing it in the scope of tonal classical music.)
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
User avatar
Overkillius
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 11:10
Location: Atascocita, Texas
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Artemus » 16 Jul 2011 22:08

It was brought up in IRC that your favorite pony dies, write a funeral for them. I actually liked this idea, seems pretty open to all types of art.

Plus, it'd give me an excuse to not go into major all the time.
~"This piece, needs more Piano. Like two cubic tons of Piano, in a small pile just over there."~

Image
User avatar
Artemus
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 06 Jul 2011 22:24

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby JackleApp » 16 Jul 2011 22:19

I absolutely motherfucking Second Circuit's Fanfic suggestion.
Please Please Please.
I may just do that no matter what we do next time.

My suggestions:

Base the song on a location in Equestria (Everfree Forest, Sugarcube Corner, Manehattan, Whatever)
Write a theme for another competition participator!
Fanfic Idea
Fanfic Idea
I can't think of anymore!
Great work tonight!
Image DA MAGIKS
User avatar
JackleApp
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 03 Jul 2011 15:53
Location: Cary, NC

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Whitetail » 16 Jul 2011 22:44

Ehhhhh, that would require me to actually read a fanfic haha
Image
User avatar
Whitetail
 
Posts: 385
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 17:04

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Makkon » 16 Jul 2011 22:50

Expand it by including fanart
User avatar
Makkon
Site Admin
 
Posts: 983
Joined: 28 Jun 2011 01:34
Location: Utah

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby sci » 16 Jul 2011 23:01

Missed the sync-listen? Here's the log!
words: http://pastebin.com/dxXw4KvC
sounds: http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/ZIQ03/

and next week's theme is set:
http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/ZIQ04/

Loose interpretation ahoy!

write a song for a fanfic/fanart

hmmm....this is actually open to all gear, so it doesn't have to be a whatevercompo theme...but I don't want to set the time limit to 1 week for this one. <_<
User avatar
sci
 
Posts: 369
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 15:26
Location: music
OS: WinXP, plus a Win 98 laptop
Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Tarby » 18 Jul 2011 01:23

Oh look! I exist here! Yay! Anyway, i've posted my song for the new contest. It's a long one (8:14) so prepare for an symphonic metal epic
Hahaha I don't even go on here anymore
Seriously hit me up on skype or something, I'm rarely if ever online here.
User avatar
Tarby
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 17 Jul 2011 21:31
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Overkillius » 18 Jul 2011 03:20

Tarby wrote:Oh look! I exist here! Yay! Anyway, i've posted my song for the new contest. It's a long one (8:14) so prepare for an symphonic metal epic


I am waiting for the sync listen, and all I can say is. ALREADY?! I just had to scrap my idea a few seconds ago. I didn't know how to get it to work so I am still looking for something to do. And then I find this and I am sure it sounds great (like your stuff always does). I wonder if I am just slow or you are super awesome. (or if classical music is just time consuming... Let's do a comparison to Mozart... about 24 pieces each year on average a few amount being multi-movement and around 20-40 minutes total (i feel like I am picking numbers out of my flank here) If I make 5 minute songs for toast beard and 1 minute speed compositions each week for a year... Considering I have a computer and I don't think I can piss out quality on a regular basis... I can't really claim quality over quantity (and my numbers were high compared to reality and mozarts were low)... I AM WAY behind here :[.) Let's go with you are super awesome because it makes sense. I can't wait to hear this :D.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
User avatar
Overkillius
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 11:10
Location: Atascocita, Texas
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 18 Jul 2011 03:57

Overkillius wrote:Something about Mozart!



There's a reason orchestra's give composers between 6 months to a year to write a piece once commissioned...classical writing is really time consuming!

Incidentally I'm really liking my idea for this week's comp, I just hope I can pull it off well/find the time to do it...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
User avatar
Dr_Dissonance
 
Posts: 634
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 07:45
Location: Australia

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby sci » 23 Jul 2011 23:03

epic job, guys. simply epic.
well, except for my entries. ;p

Missed the sync-listen? Here's the log!
words: http://pastebin.com/k040r626
the sounds: http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/ZIQ04/
bonus rounds: http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/WAT02/

and the next round is set:
http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/ZIQ05/
TWO WEEKS! have fun :D
User avatar
sci
 
Posts: 369
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 15:26
Location: music
OS: WinXP, plus a Win 98 laptop
Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Interrobang Pie » 24 Jul 2011 05:42

Using a proposed RWIII challenge theme, I see??!?!!??!!??

You know there is a reason they weren't accepted WHOOPS.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 14:49

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Tarby » 24 Jul 2011 06:50

sci wrote:and the next round is set:
http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/a/ZIQ05/
TWO WEEKS! have fun :D

Oh jesus, I can't think of shit for this. I'm probably gonna end up doing something involving Applejack or Braeburn, because I told Sci in the aftermath of the synch listen chat that I'd put banjo in. and by god I'm gonna have me some banjo.

BANJOCORE!

It will be done.
Hahaha I don't even go on here anymore
Seriously hit me up on skype or something, I'm rarely if ever online here.
User avatar
Tarby
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 17 Jul 2011 21:31
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Overkillius » 28 Jul 2011 23:04

And what's a better theme for a 2 week deadline than a mini musical friend-off?

This week's theme: Find a peice of fanart or a fanfic and write a song for it.


umm... what does the part about the musical friend off mean if the the theme definition below it doesn't mention it. Or do I not know what a musical friend-off is?
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
User avatar
Overkillius
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 11:10
Location: Atascocita, Texas
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron