MLR OPERATION BRONYQUEST INITIATED

Current events we're participating in.

MLR OPERATION BRONYQUEST INITIATED

Postby Circuitfry » 13 Jan 2012 17:13

Fillies and gentlecolts!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1387
... Raise money to help get musicians to Bronycon?

I AM IN FAVOR OF THIS PROPOSAL
Current roles of this ambitious project:

CIRCUITFRY - Reliable trustworthy guy who manages the donation account.
SENATOR MYTH - Calculating logistics talent (still needs a lot of help!)

WE NEED HELP WITH:
  • Planning trips to and from Bronycon.
  • Planning trips from Bronycon back home.
  • Money raising projects.
  • Researching places to stay.

There are many things that we can do to raise enough money to bring more musicians to Bronycon! Everyone can help!

1. INFORM
2. PLAN TRAVEL
3. PLAN ARRIVALS
4. PLAN EXIT ROUTES
5. RAISE MONEY

Even if you aren't sure if you yourself can make it to Bronycon, you can still contribute to the community and be really helpful!

1. INFORM
Lots of people need to know about this! We're pushing to transport a good number of musicians to BroNYcon to meet and enjoy music and have fun! Some of us cannot afford the trip alone! We need lots of hooves to make it happen so let your friends know and circulate it to places like Reddit and let people know! We are currently just two people planning this out, we need more people with more experience, if that's possible!

2. PLAN TRAVEL
If you can drive, you can carpool with musicians. This would be a SUPER HUGE GENEROUS thing for you to do, so if you want to plan that out, talk to Myth and he will help try to plan all that out! Some of you may know a bit about the roads, which is less busy than another, helps to inform Myth of that too!

3. PLAN ARRIVALS
Bronies need a place to stay in New York. They need cheap, safe places to reside, so if you have had experience staying at Bronycon and know a good, affordable living area where the musicians can share rooms, that would be great!!! We need multiple locations in case one place gets run over by bronies (hey, it could happen!!!)

4. PLAN EXIT ROUTES
We need to carefully plan exits just as carefully as we plan our routes up to NY. Bronies need to return home, as well, to the point where there's a day when families can expect their musicians to return, too. Help is wanted in the planning departments!!!

The general plan is as follows:

First, inform everyone and get smart noggins involved!
Second, start up donation projects and research affordable locations near Bronycon!
Third, plan out trips to and from the convention!
Fourth, calculate the logistics of lodging and trips!
Finally, distribute money to the several different trips for brony musicians to make!
If we somehow still have money left, it goes to charity.

We will try to cover these expenses:
  • Travel to Bronycon
  • POSSIBLY the rent, POSSIBLY.
  • Travel from Bronycon

Right off the bat, you will be expected to:
  • Pay for the entrance fee
  • Pay for the rent if we can't pay for the rent.
  • Bring everything that will prevent your body from grossing everyone out.
  • Represent MLR and not get drunk and be a jerk.

This is a big big big ambitious project to start. It will be difficult for just one or two people to do alone. We will need info from many musicians about where they live and how we can get them to the convention. We will need more volunteers to dedicate their time to planning and logistics because these are the biggest steps and Myth is brave to get started on it, himself. In the meantime, I'll set up a donation account to pool our money into.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Re: MLR OPERATION BRONYQUEST INITIATED

Postby Freewave » 13 Jan 2012 18:01

if there are hotels that are nearby then transportation would really not be needed (except for stuff like dj equiptment, guitars + keyboards, etc if those were needed) plus you can likely split room with fellow bronies. a 2 or 3 block walk, a hotel shuttle and you'd be clear to go (except maybe the taxi to and from the hotel).

By the way i see on http://www.bronycon.org/

SATURDAY, JUNE 30 - SUNDAY, JULY 1, 2012
TEN TIMES the convention space. <---
More rooms.
Two floors.
Two days.
ALL PONY

Knowing the location (and therfore the closest hotels) will be key
Last edited by Freewave on 13 Jan 2012 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby X-Trav » 13 Jan 2012 18:06

Guys this is New York City, You can walk ANYWHERE.

I have seriously almost never been in a POV in the city, you don't need a cab, if anything take the bus, much cheaper.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby [voodoopony] » 13 Jan 2012 20:02

Money tips:
-Stay with locals instead of paying for hotels, if you know anyone. Shit's expensive in NYC, but it's easy and more convenient to get around on foot and on subway/train.
-Driving there is a significant contribution, as you will save MLR hundreds of dollars that would have been used to purchase your plane tickets. Maybe you can offer to pick up another musician on the way who doesn't have a ride, and you can get a hippie van-esque thing going.
-SAVE. PUT THAT BLUNT DOWN, START SAVING RIGHT NOW.

I'll contribute as much as I can to this.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 13 Jan 2012 22:50

Man, it's super tempting to go, and I actually started considering going, but then I remembered I live in Mexico.

... well, that's inconvenient. :/

Still, I'll check what's up with the visa thing, and the renewing my passport thing, and plane ticket costs and stuff, maybe there's a chance I'll gather enough funds to go. Thank heavens it's still almost half a year away.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby SoGreatandPowerful » 14 Jan 2012 01:29

While I am not in need of money (the trip now sounds totally worth it since everyone's going), I do require a well-constructed lie to tell people (parents, employers, etc.). So, if anyone has any good lies that can explain the trip, please let me know.
SoGreatandPowerful

Postby Navron » 14 Jan 2012 01:54

My plan? Submit leave request to visit New York City to my department head.

Add small text at very bottom:
"To meet fans of magical ponies and unicorns."
Profit!
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby randomblockfilms » 14 Jan 2012 08:52

I would go to BroNYcon but i would have to take my moms car and it would be like this...

"Where ya going honey?"

"Driving to New York."

"O_O"
And i live in California so NO

I wish there was a BronyCon LA or something. :(
and i would contribute too but i aint gots much money. and NO im not being greedy. just kinda poorish.
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby MichaelA » 14 Jan 2012 11:04

I would be down for helping get this together, as I am also in desperate need of money to get there, since I live in Cali.

MAYBE, we could get a post on EqD, and have people donate. We could MAKE an album by then, and have it be like the charity album, if you donate $5+, you get a CD, $50+ you get something else, and stuff like this. I'm sure people would LOVE to help the brony musicians out.

Also I'm working on an album, which was going to help me pay for this, but I would be willing to donate EVERYTHING I earn in revenue towards this if it means other people may go as well.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Freewave » 14 Jan 2012 11:33

randomblockfilms wrote:I wish there was a BronyCon LA or something. :(

there actually a Colorado bronies forum so i don't know if there's any forum for bronies in other states but you might want to start looking or see if CA can get their own forum as its densely populated. Putting together a Brony get together or convention as part of or separate from the San Diego Comic might be good to get like-minded travellers to go to it. Not be bad idea just for people in Ca to look at similar Brony conventions in the future as traditionally these type of events shouldn't be centered in one coast of the country but on both coasts.
Freewave

Postby Senator Myth » 14 Jan 2012 12:01

To be perfectly honest, Circuit totally jumped the gun with this thread without asking me, and it doesn't really fit into my plan of how we're going to do this at all... He made it a few hours after I made my thread. But I want the news of this idea and plan to have a few days to spread throughout the music community so that everyone knows about it and no-one is surprised. So feel free to think of this as the "brainstorming" thread, I suppose.

And Circuit, please don't do this again <3
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Facexplodie » 14 Jan 2012 13:53

SoGreatandPowerful wrote:While I am not in need of money (the trip now sounds totally worth it since everyone's going), I do require a well-constructed lie to tell people (parents, employers, etc.). So, if anyone has any good lies that can explain the trip, please let me know.

SGAP. THE LIE: The Dalai Lama just happens to be in NY from June 29th -July 1. He's holding some seminars about the deep importance of friendship/companionship/*better excuse*. Since he's getting quite old, there might not be many chances left to see his holiness. BAM.

hahaha maybe not...

And yesh. This Cali residency makes it a tad bit difficult to get to NY...
"Its been said
Long time ago
You'll be the first
And last to know"
Facexplodie

Postby Solarsail » 14 Jan 2012 13:57

mrpickle wrote:I would be down for helping get this together, as I am also in desperate need of money to get there, since I live in Cali.

MAYBE, we could get a post on EqD, and have people donate. We could MAKE an album by then, and have it be like the charity album, if you donate $5+, you get a CD, $50+ you get something else, and stuff like this. I'm sure people would LOVE to help the brony musicians out.

Even if it was just a compilation of existing tracks on a CD, that would encourage a much greater participation than just a fundraiser here would.
Solarsail

Postby Mundius » 14 Jan 2012 15:20

Well, I can't help out. I would love to go for once, but... then I'd actually need a stable income. Which I don't have. Also, I live in Canada... yeah.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby AutomaticJack » 14 Jan 2012 19:06

Everything that I got goin' on right now is completey backwards from what I would need to go to BroNYcon...
1) I live in Pendleton, Oregon
2) I will be moving to Portland, Oregon in three weeks.
3) I have no job lined up. o.O
All of those amount to me being broke as shit, but there's also:
4) I have only one Pony-related song, and it's about 80% finished (so it needs to be about... you know =P)
5) I haven't contributed enough music to let anypony else pay for me to go (without feeling lame about it).
So maybe next year, or if I get rich/famous/attain-20%-more-coolness.
However, I'm totally down to contribute a track if it'll help raise some $krilla =) /)*(\
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
AutomaticJack

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 15 Jan 2012 01:51

Holy crap, I just looked up plane ticket prizes, and now there's a huge chance I'll be able to make it. I honestly thought they'd be way more expensive. This makes me happy. c:

Now to look up more information on visas, and passport renewals. And lodging.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Jan 2012 06:58

Senator Myth wrote:To be perfectly honest, Circuit totally jumped the gun with this thread without asking me, and it doesn't really fit into my plan of how we're going to do this at all...

At least Circuit made his own thread for his own idea. Charity album-stealing bastard.

And again I have no idea what's going on.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Mundius » 15 Jan 2012 08:33

Interrobang Pie wrote:And again I have no idea what's going on.

Get other bronies to help out brony musicians by paying for their plane tickets to the next BroNYCon. That's what I understand, anyway.

Either way, I'll look so freaking tame compared to the rest of you. :lol: Like I'm not a brony.
Mundius

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ArtAttack » 15 Jan 2012 20:55

I'd need to convince my parents/have one of them go along with me. Probably the latter. Bleeehhhhh. I could definitely contribute music/money, though.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Circuitfry » 16 Jan 2012 21:42

Interrobang Pie wrote:At least Circuit made his own thread for his own idea.

There was a misunderstanding on my part when it came to these topics. The operation, of course, is sailing strong, Myth only fears that because there are two topics then things will get a bit disorganized. That's alright, let me clear it up:

Myth's post was a proposal for an operation like Bronyquest. I saw the reactions in favor of the idea and I was liking it, myself, so I decided to make Bronyquest a real community-wide effort in progress. Myth's ideas have once again transitioned into community efforts. He's like the brainpower before the action machine. I acted to make things happen. Right now we're in slow-down mode so that everyone gets on the same page as us.

Let's get us all on the same page now. This is a tl;dr of pretty much everything so far:
1. Bronycon is coming up, some people can't make it.
2. Myth gets the idea to start a community fundraiser to get more musicians to bronycon.
3. Myth makes the proposal topic that we should try something like this. A lot of steps are involved to consider. He outlines them rather well.
4. After he talks to me about it, we agreed that I can handle holding on to the money with trust.
5. I make another topic stating that the community drive is in progress. His topic is a proposal, mine is an initiator. The topic has been sitting for a couple days, now, allowing members to become aware that there is a drive starting up. The goal is to get brony musicians to bronycon by starting fundraisers using our collective talents.
6. I have established a donation account for the drive. We can now start fundraising projects and pool the money to be distributed amongst distanced musicians to make journeys to Bronycon possible.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby [voodoopony] » 17 Jan 2012 07:51

How will the artists be selected?
How much might we make [guesstimate]?

Some things to consider. I will be able to go on my own.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby <a> » 17 Jan 2012 08:47

I've said several times in the IRC and I think some other threads: I'd LOVE to help, but I'd also love to go. I've never been able to go to a convention like this, and I live in the Netherlands so that's probably not going to happen either...

If there's anything I can do other than donating money (my bank account is currently in red...), I'd love to hear it.

There's just 1 thing I like to know, because... well, if only 'known' and 'popular' artists will be helped, then I'm out. I just think that's unfair. Don't bother thinking of me in terms of 'paying my trip' though, because you could probably help 2 American bronies for the money you'd have to spend on just getting me in and out of the States...

TL;DR: I'd love to go but I'm too expensive, but if there's anything I can do to help then please let me know. :)
<a>

Postby StormWolf » 18 Jan 2012 18:54

Oh shit I only just saw this why am I always late to cool things D:

I'd love to go to BroNYCon, and I'd love to help out with as many fundraisers as possible but

I live in god damned Australia so it'd be a lot of money for me, plus I'm not even that well known, so uhh
Do I still get to go? >_>
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby Freewave » 19 Jan 2012 12:35

This is a great idea guys but I hope you guys think about the logisitics of such an idea. You can't feasibly take a load of brony musicians from around the world and pay their entire way off even a cd release or a donation drive (or maybe you can for the top tier of artists which likely should possibly already be "paid for guests" of the convention organizers). Best bet is for those who want to go to start saving and look for sharing hotel rooms as some organized effort. Airfare is extremely expensive so I'm not sure how you aim to pay for it and who you would deem would qualify. I'd hate for people to really have inflated expectations or have people feeling rejected if their way was not paid for.

Have any convention organizers said what the expectation will be for the next bronycon FOR musicians? Can they have tables (could sell cd's there to pay for the trip) or be able to perform. Would people want that type of a presence? Were previous musicians (JackleApp, Tarby, Foozogz, Alex S, Omnipony) accomodated or did they pay their way?

Keep brainstorming though as we got time and the will to figure it out.
Freewave

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 21 Jan 2012 12:55

Just sayin', if I decide to go, I'll pay my own expenses. In the event that I actually make the trip, it will likely be part of a bigger family trip anyway, so yeah. I'm still helping out however I can, though. At the very least, I'm contributing to Baloon Party. :U
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events