L4D2 - Friendship is Survival

This is the place for off-topic game threads and also video game discussions.

L4D2 - Friendship is Survival

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2014 10:11

So in case you don't know L4D2 is my waifu. Its what i play on many late nights instead of doing music. Music by day, zombies by night. Since quite a few of us have this game (some are pro's, others are brand new to it) i thought having a thread for it would be great to have.

Far too many people buy into the name of the game and literally leave their teammates left for dead and thats a terrible way to play (no offense fluffaton, but dang). It's not a marathon to get your character to the safe room, you're trying to get your whole team there. With the special infected you really can easily be pinned and taken out if you're not with your teammates. Having four people up and moving really should be guaranteed survival as you will only get 3 special infected that can take you out at a single moment. But it only takes one weak teammate to mess things up. It an intense and stressful game and you really do have to make quick and critical decisions to help your teammates.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: L4D2 - Friendship is Survival

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2014 10:45

Playing the game on campaign is a great way to get to know the game and the maps but its not the most opportune way to play with a group, that really is in VS mode which has its own rules and strategy. That's what i pretty much only play and it can be a 2 to 8 player game.

Playing the infected is just as much fun or even more but its tricky too. Just like you have to have teamwork to survive as humans you need to attack together to try to take people down. Combos are brutal, using the map at key points is key, and taking out one of the 4 early on is pretty critical. There's some great youtube tutorials I'll embed in here but lemme cover the basics in text.

Smoker- Long tongue, can attack from a distance. Its key use is pinning a person and dragging them off ledges. You also really want to smoke from behind and slow down the group. Attack from a high ledge can sometimes work but its often a way to get killed and not get a second attack. They are easily thwarted when they attack alone. Teammates can melee someone who's pinned and easily kill the smoker as well. They don't do much damage quickly.

Charger - Basically a rhino. Its great for attacking groups and starting an attack. Like any special infected, use in combination with others.It can do great damage quickly, is great for punching (melee) weakened and slowed opponents. It's great for instant kills by charging people off of high ledges and for taking out all the people in a hallway. Its best to charge from the front or the side but a quick headshot by an aware group can ruin any attack. Also beware that hitting an object, door frame, or attacking from too close can ruin an attack.

Jockey - One of the weaker special infected, they give away their location pretty easily (giggling), dont do too much damage, can be meleed, and need to be used well to make a good attack. Use to take people off of ledges, attack lone survivors from behind, split them off from the group, attack any stragglers. Always try to jump on them or from above if possible. Attacking a group its best to hit last or simultaneously in any combo or as a distraction for a boomer.

Hunter - Like the charger it does a fair amount of damage quickly and can be one of the most lethal special infected. But it needs to go for isolated human to truly be deadly. Attacking a group is a really bad idea as you can be quickly killed. Since they can make up a short distance very quickly they can be spawned far away and attack suddenly. Attack from far above for an extra damage pounce and work in combos to finish off weakened or downed opponents. Key is attacking simulatanously or last, don't lead the attack unless its a person by themselves. They are also a great distraction for a boomer attack. Fastest way to kill an entire team off is hunt down a split up team from behind and slowly eliminate each and every member, a hunter can do this singel-handedly if given the opportunity. Remember you need to crouch to use the pounce and attack. A hunter running around on foot is the perfect giveaway of a newb.

Besides these special infected above who can pin down people (again the game never allows 4 to materialize at once, only 3) there are:

Boomer - These can be deadly when used against new players. They spew bile which immediately attack commons from all directions. This also blinds those players which can cause all kinds of communication breakdown and often is a great way to lead off an attack. When they can boom a group they are used best. If you only get one or two then the other teammates can often defend against attacks. They are very easy to spot and kill (one shot). So surprise is key. Attack from the sides and up above. Never try to attack from a distance unless from above. Leading off a group attack is helpful or you can jump in during a distraction. Suicide attacks are very useful and if you do a successful spew feel free to ru n into the group to boom the remainder or give them an additional boom. Spewing on downed players is a great way to get them killed before they can be picked back up. If you get melee'd instead of shot prepare to immediately attack again but also prepare to fail in your attack.

Spitter - Spitters have to be use correct to be useful. Their acid spit allows attack from distances and for the map to be key to your attacks. Attacking slow or downed opponents, groups stick in small roooms, and pinned humans is key. Attacking by yourself, in wide open areas, or allowing healthy people to take minimal damage by jumping through spit is a waste of an attack. Attack simultaneously or last. Use a suicide attack once youve spit to die on a fallen human and do more damage or to pin people in a room of spit. Or spit from far away and continue to decimate a crippled human team single handedlly every time you recharge.

Super special infected

Witch - You don't play these on the infected team but these are brutal to encounter if you're human unless you play your cards right. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Or cap the witch with a shogun and immedate successive shots. Avoid flashlights, looking at them, and sticking around. If you have one in the middle of the hall you're gonna have to kill them quickly and they will likely take the first attacked down immediately and will do massive damage until killed. If you're infected, camp ouot around the witch, try to draw their fire and set her off. drag or smoke players into her, scratch her to get her upset, etc etc. Use her as an advantage. Wandering witches are harder to use but work the same.

Tanks- Like flutterbulk, these are team destroying creatures which will often decide who wins or loses. If you're human then set them on fire or bile them to confuse them (and get them attacked by any commons around), stay in open areas, avoid throwables (cars, dumpsters), and dont get close or trapped in corners. Attack as a team and quickly. Back away, jump, and shoot. If you're the last person up against a healthy tank you are allowed to run for it. RUUUUN.

As infected you run the tanks opposite of that. Surprise attack and take down the weakest first, avoid attacking healthy teams by yourself, go after boomed humans first, avoid fire (head for water if you are on fire), use cars and dumpsters to do immediate take downs and kills. Punch people off the side of buildings. Most importantly try to kill off the entire team because now is your chance. If you don't know how to attack as a tank you can wait and had it over to the next player once but beware that delaying twice will cause the bot tank which is a bit easier to defeat.

Any more questions ? LEmmmmmeee know.
Freewave

Postby Magnitude Zero » 06 Feb 2014 11:46

Freewave wrote:But it only takes one weak teammate to mess things up.

ha

hahaha

ha

Yeah, this game is a ton of fun, just don't expect to win if you've got someone like me on your team. Go easy on the new guys please!
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2014 12:10

Yeah there is a learning curve for this game thats kinda tough on new players but thats why its important to not stack teams up unfairly if you're going to vs or shuffle them midway if they aren't working out. Putting strong players with a newb is a fair compromise but in the end its just a matter of getting the experience in, knowing the maps, and how to do things. Having newcomers at least run a few campaigns or vs with one experienced person or go through these tutorials will be a huge help.

I will say some more advice. If youre human and have a swarm- switch to a melee weapon, back yourself in a corner. If you don't then melee, shooot, melee, shoot. Bigest thing is not panic'ing when something happens and thinking clearly because there's definitely a tendency to do that when a tank is heading your way or you are boomed. Also always watch the rear and the front and move as a group. Splitting off or getting lost can be your end.

Again I love this game because its a new experience each and every game just based on who you play with and what happens during that game.
Freewave

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Feb 2014 15:09

I just got L4D2 when Valve gave it away for free over christmas. I don't have the first one though, I'll eventually get it. I'm pretty excited to play l4d2 when I decide to start playing it.

P.S. there's no quick reply button. And there should be one
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2014 15:36

itroitnyah wrote:I just got L4D2 when Valve gave it away for free over christmas. I don't have the first one though, I'll eventually get it. I'm pretty excited to play l4d2 when I decide to start playing it.

Actually L4D2 is the first game and the second game in one. L4d2 completely replaces it and add 4 more characters along with a ton of maps that go with that group (along with some extra special infected). So you can play all the L4D1 maps in that game. There's also a ton of custom maps you can add to the game if you've been playing for long enoough that you get bored of the in game maps.

Let us know if you wanna go on some training missions soon as I'm talking to LoreRD and Mag Zero about some campaigns on mondays or tuesday so they can get some good practice time in.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2014 15:47

Freewave wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:I just got L4D2 when Valve gave it away for free over christmas. I don't have the first one though, I'll eventually get it. I'm pretty excited to play l4d2 when I decide to start playing it.

Actually L4D2 is the first game and the second game in one. L4d2 completely replaces it and add 4 more characters along with a ton of maps that go with that group (along with some extra special infected). So you can play all the L4D1 maps in that game. There's also a ton of custom maps you can download and add to the game if you've been playing for long enough that you get bored of the in game maps.

Let us know if you wanna go on some training missions soon as I'm talking to LoreRD and Mag Zero about some campaigns on mondays or tuesday so they can get some good practice time in.
Freewave

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Feb 2014 16:21

O hay a quick reply button appeared. Thanks.

I might take you up on the offer, but right now I'm busy with WoW, Borderlands, Bioshock 2, Skyrim... I don't know. I guess I could jump onto L4D2 if I felt like it
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 07 Feb 2014 00:12

Freewave wrote:Far too many people buy into the name of the game and literally leave their teammates left for dead and thats a terrible way to play (no offense fluffatun, but dang).

: ^ )))

Anyway, I leave people behind because I think it's funny. If any of you are ever in a lobby with me and you want me to play seriously just let me know<3
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 07 Feb 2014 01:06

I haven't played L4D2 is a loooooong time. I'm comically bad at it. ​also it makes me panic a lot. Damn tanks ;-;
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby PropellerEscape » 08 Feb 2014 05:08

I was pretty good at L4D2 on Xbox 360 when it came out. I used to be a very good vs. player until I stopped playing the game a while ago. I got the game on Steam over christmas as well so hit me up if you ever want to play sometime :3
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby LoreRD » 08 Feb 2014 06:53

Been playing a bit of campaign, getting used to the controls and such. I'm still pretty much a newbie and the one game of versus I did play went kind of badly (though that may have just been a bad matchup).
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Freewave » 08 Feb 2014 09:12

Vs games can be very lopsided sadly. I'm part of a clan that plays custom maps on vs's and even while we do have captains and choose teams they can still often not be close games. That often happens just due to how a team dynamic works with 4 people and how often even experienced teammates cannot coordinate attacks well. When you find you're on the losing team it's easy to get frustrated and play worse even.

If we get mlr vs games rolling it would be nice to have a good format for choosing teams and maybe swap players midgame if the points get way out of wack.
Freewave

Postby Injustrial » 08 Feb 2014 09:39

I'm up for a few rounds, if you want. Afalahs is my Steam Name
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Sean-JS » 16 Apr 2014 12:18

I play the game alot for the Xbox 360, though it's usually with a friend that I work well with. I'm more than happy to play with other people but with a friend, I can trust him to watch my back, you just never know what could happen when you play with people you don't know and it's a bit of a killjoy if you get killed by a Hunter and no one saves you because they weren't sure what to do.
It's not about what we see, it's about how we see it.

https://soundcloud.com/sean-js
https://www.facebook.com/Seanjsmusic
Sean-JS

Return to Games