How did you get into making music?

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Re: How did you get into making music?

Postby Berri » 02 Mar 2014 05:01

My dad left logic open, I was bored so smacked my head agisant his midi keyboard, when I did this enough I released it as a song. Ands that still how im making music to this day. (But seriously I started my first song by hitting my head of the keyboard and recording it, then I turned that into a song
https://soundcloud.com/theberri
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/notberri
Circuitfry wrote:I'm a certified professional with venturing into butts.

JacksonMiller wrote:Wow ExoBassTix, you really like the D. ;)
Berri

Cutie Mark: ( ͡O ͜ʖ ͡O ) ovi

Postby senntenial » 10 Mar 2014 17:48

My friend Chris (Neonstorm) showed me FL when I was 11, and I had the demo for several years. I had to make so many things in just one session, haha.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Injustrial » 11 Mar 2014 18:04

This sentence:

My Brain wrote:How hard can it be?

And boy, did I discover just that...
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Mesogears » 14 Mar 2014 10:40

To make a long story short, I got into music production through this community. Before getting into the MLP fandom, I had never been interested in making electronic music, but after hearing some of our artists, I grew more interested in it.

I remember picking FL Studio because Glaze uses it.
Last edited by Mesogears on 16 Jul 2014 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby JSynth » 24 Mar 2014 18:26

In sixth grade, I started playing the drums. (I was really bad). In seventh grade, I started playing around with Sibelius and composing my own stuff. When I was in tenth grade, I took a music theory class and found myself getting serious about music. I started learning about music production and electronic music when I joined the brony fandom. Now I spend my time lurking around a website called My Little Remix (some of you may have heard of it) and posting on random threads.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby cplbradley » 25 Mar 2014 18:56

Started playing guitar when I was about 6, wanted to write my own tunes. Used a program called Cakewalk Pro Audio on a Windows 95 computer, all it did was program midi files. My uncle was a raver back in the days of DJ Jean and Fatboy Slim, and he showed me dance music when I was young. I was hooked, but I still wanted to try making rock music. When I was 12, by dad bought me Pro Tools 7 and an Mbox. Then, my older brother showed me FL Studio 6. 6 years later, here we are.

Started by making trance and hands-up, then started making house, and eventually started making EDM.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby simonli2575 » 26 Mar 2014 13:42

Injustrial wrote:This sentence:

My Brain wrote:How hard can it be?

And boy, did I discover just that...

Tell me about it.
But at least you didn't give up.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Feedback » 05 Apr 2014 01:44

Another forum I was on used to always have a bunch of "Record yourself covering X song and we'll vote on who does the best" contests for fun, and I would join into those when I was 14-15. Then one day when I was 15, I watched this video, particularly the part from 7:28 onward, and decided that I'm smart enough to figure recording out, and I'm a good enough musician to make music. Turns out I wasn't entirely right, because after I bought a $30 copy of Sony Acid, I spent about 45 minutes confused about why I wasn't recording when I didn't prime the track. :lol:

Long story short, a year later once I got used to the basics, that same aforementioned forum had a "Record an album in a month!" challenge where everyone who entered was expected to make an album that was at least 30 minutes, and with the aid of a ton of loops, I made one. Had a blast doing it, made some more, and here I am today, studying sound design in college along with other fields easier to make a living in. :grin:
Feedback

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Two tied eighth notes

Postby DJ-G6PON3 » 08 Apr 2014 13:35

I pretty much have listened to music all my life. I don't remember a time in my life where I wasn't surrounded by music. I believe around uh....2007 I felt the need to do something, but it wasn't until 2012 I became semi-curious of the Brony community. I watched the show and then I thought, "I wonder if anybody made music for this." I got my first dose of Brony music thanks to TheLivingTombstone and Glaze. I got really into music around 2013. Since then, I been trying to experiment with genres of music, ranging from Metal to EDM. That's my story of how I got into music. :cool:
DJ-G6PON3
Dubstep is Magic
Careful where you step, because I have dropped my bass somewhere...
Covers of Bands I need to do:
Theory of A Deadman
Deuce
Hollywood Undead
Injustrial
Three Days Grace
Slipknot
Teamheadkick
H8_Seed
Mic The Microphone
Seether
DJ-G6PON3

Primary: Audacity, Fl Studio (Soon, most recent version), Ableton (Soon, most recent version)
Cutie Mark: Headphones and Music Notes

Postby Ischi Vezon » 05 Jul 2014 18:35

I got into dubstep, with the point of being rebellious and "Hardcore" and to try to impress my dad by listening to the most "Hardcore" music around.

After awhile, I learned my dad hated it (I was 12 okay don't expect me to make good judgement), and I start legitimately liking it. The first dubstep song I heard was Alex.S's remix of 'Nyan Cat'. I then heard Korn's collaboration with Skrillex (Before EDM I was a metal fan) and I got hooked onto that.

I had no idea how the music was made, so soon enough I found out. On a computer. (Duh)

I then wanted to try making it, and found this app for my phone called (iMaschine). For it's price, it was actually pretty in depth, you actually formed the drum patterns and midi patters, unlike other cheap apps at the time.

I spent 2 years producing music on my phone because I didn't have enough money for real software, I actually good pretty good at "Phone production". I then saved up for FL Studio and finally got it about 3 months ago.

So, I pretty much got into producing on accident, I had no knowledge at the time DJing was a thing it could be a career when I got that app.
Ischi Vezon

Cutie Mark: Experimenting.

Postby Toothpaste » 06 Jul 2014 18:21

Ischi Vezon wrote:I got into dubstep, with the point of being rebellious and "Hardcore" and to try to impress my dad by listening to the most "Hardcore" music around.

After awhile, I learned my dad hated it (I was 12 okay don't expect me to make good judgement), and I start legitimately liking it. The first dubstep song I heard was Alex.S's remix of 'Nyan Cat'. I then heard Korn's collaboration with Skrillex (Before EDM I was a metal fan) and I got hooked onto that.

I had no idea how the music was made, so soon enough I found out. On a computer. (Duh)

I then wanted to try making it, and found this app for my phone called (iMaschine). For it's price, it was actually pretty in depth, you actually formed the drum patterns and midi patters, unlike other cheap apps at the time.

I spent 2 years producing music on my phone because I didn't have enough money for real software, I actually good pretty good at "Phone production". I then saved up for FL Studio and finally got it about 3 months ago.

So, I pretty much got into producing on accident, I had no knowledge at the time DJing was a thing it could be a career when I got that app.

You upgraded from mobile to FL on a computer? You are now officially my role model XD
I'm still using my iPad and FL Studio Mobile for making music, but I hope to get a computer at some point in my life.
--------
I was inspired to make music ever since Almost Anyone released his album "Future Suns". I later became a brony and was inspired by pretty much all the musicians in the fandom XD
Minty Fresh Productions!:
Toothpaste / PinkE_PartE / 18 Offence / Meyer / Thy60
PLEASE MESSAGE ME 4 DA COLLAB AND STUFFS owo
Check out my 'music' on YouTube and feel free to add me on Skype! --> thy.60
<insert wisdom>
Toothpaste

Primary: FL Studio Mobile
Cutie Mark: I'll figure it out someday.

Postby Artless » 11 Jul 2014 18:30

About halfway through summer break of 2013, one of my friends got me into mlp, and I went insane. I found my way into the music part of the fandom, and began obsessing over artists such as Silva Hound, Tombstone, and Assertive Fluttershy. Eventually, I got with two of my friends and we jokingly said we should "make a sick poni wubz".

One of my friends quickly dropped out while the remaining two of us researched DAW's (and by that I mean we checked the "About" section of people's youtube pages and found out what they were using). We eventually settled on FL studio and then I got it for christmas and started messing with it. My friend never got it because his parents are very controlling of his online adventures. We never really made a "sick wubz m8", but I actually met up with him yesterday and we worked on a track that's going into a collab album on mlr, and he's still working on getting FL.

So tl;dr, I was brought into the fandom and went insane over pony musicians, and tried my hand at producing. Here I am today, regretting nothing.
Artless

Cutie Mark: Sorta House

Postby FritzyBeat » 11 Jul 2014 20:01

I have been interested in music ever since I was really little, Relient K, Switchfoot, Newsboys, etc.... only back then it was most used as inspiration for my story ideas, and eventually art and comics.

It wasn't until I discovered Adam Young and Owl City and the release of his album "Ocean Eyes" (yes, it was Fireflies that alerted me to his music X3) that i decided I really wanted to make my own music and sing.
I sang a lot of vocal covers over the next year or two, and attempted to write my own songs, though I was never able to finish anything (only ever getting done about half of what is now "Fort Hope" and a little bit of "Oxygen").

Then, suddenly in October of last year, I discovered ponies and shortly thereafter, the music in the fandom. I was super inspired by all the creativity people had in creating music about these colourful horses, that it gave me the drive to actually finish an original song. I wasn't sure what I was planning on doing after that though, but I heard not long after that my first song had been posted to the spotlight at EQD, and things just sorta progressed from there X3

Probably my fondest memory from those events was when my friend Meredith messaged me on skype shortly after the release of Oxygen:

"Dude! You're song is spotlighted on EQD! Dude dude dude!!!"
"Oh, cool.... whats EQD?"
"You don't know? Its like the biggest brony website ever, pretty much the hub for the whole fandom! And you're on it!"
"oh, thats nice"

I was sooooooo new X3 *shot*
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCybhzNv4lLfKc1gQ09Cqx6g
If any of you guys are looking for a singer (or an occasional songwriter) then feel free to hit me up, I'm always happy to join in a collaboration =)
FritzyBeat

Primary: GarageBand
Cutie Mark: Muffins!

Postby caprix snare » 15 Oct 2014 13:52

my uncle gave a copy of reason 3 like 8 years ago and didn't touch it until my freshman year of high school. I have been disgracing music for 6 years now. :cry:
space pirates from mars.
caprix snare

Primary: reason 6.5
Cutie Mark: al bout da booty

Postby AJHunter » 15 Oct 2014 16:11

There was an episode of Radio Lab a few years back, and it got me into the idea of noise music, so I made some. It actually came out pretty well (I found the EP and I put it up here), then didn't really touch music in any form until the first Pinkamena Party. That's when I started trying to learn electronic music and eventually found the perfect DAW for my style of thinking. Been doing music ever since :>
AJHunter

OS: Manjaro Openbox on main; Ubuntu Studio LTS (I think) on studio
Primary: Sunvox and Ardour
Cutie Mark: credit card hologram of a butt

Postby FLAOFEI » 15 Oct 2014 17:58

Sine I probably lied the last time I posded here... heres another questionable truth.

I was a spoiled kid with an obsession with sounds.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby MrBronyPlan » 24 Oct 2014 11:33

My friend down the Atlantic ocean showed me Logic some time ago. I watched him use it for a while. I didn't have a Mac. I still don't. So then I looked at FL Studio because that was the second thing I found.
Nice.
MrBronyPlan

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Potato

Previous

Return to Music Discussion