Pulse's BLAHST from the PAHST: Classic Synthpop Thread

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Pulse's BLAHST from the PAHST: Classic Synthpop Thread

Postby Pulse Wave » 18 May 2014 04:58

So we already have a thread about current music that tries to emulate 80s synthpop. Now here's the thread about the real deal which, in fact, was born in the late 70s and helped establish the synth as the musical instrument of the 80s (together with the industry introducing synths which were a) more powerful, b) cheaper, c) more versatile or d) all of this).

I don't think there are so many more bronies than me at this forum who have experienced this music — some of it at least — when it was still new.

This song was kind of the birth of New Romantic: Visage – Fade To Grey.
Spoiler YouTube:

You often only needed two people for making synthpop: Soft Cell – Tainted Love.
Spoiler YouTube:

Note how many hairstyles Annie Lennox goes through within 1 music video clip: Eurythmics – Love Is A Stranger.
Spoiler YouTube:

Never mind the background singers, Erasure are only a duo: Erasure – Oh L'Amour.
Spoiler YouTube:

(Yes, I've already posted some of these videos elsewhere, but this is the thread they should have gone into in the first place.)
Last edited by Pulse Wave on 29 Jul 2014 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Re: Pulse's BLAHST from the PAHST: Classic Synthpop Discussi

Postby Pulse Wave » 18 May 2014 05:00

One more post for today. I'll start with two quite early songs.

Back in 1977, Giorgio Moroder invented electronic dance music. Brian Eno said this song would define the club sound of the next 20 years, and he was right: Donna Summer – I Feel Love.
Spoiler YouTube:

Here, have something from 1979. Gary Numan (of Tubeway Army fame) – Cars.
Spoiler YouTube:

Another British tune. A group that had only just left behind their low-budget origins brings back the Mellotron: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – Made Of Orleans (The Waltz Joan Of Arc).
Spoiler YouTube:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7IUIGAO0_Y[/youtube]

A synthpop group from Norway and their first big smash hit with THE cult synthpop video. Note the DX7 bass. Pity they ended up sounding like Coldplay before they disbanded: a-ha – Take On Me.
Spoiler YouTube:

Pulse Wave

Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.

Postby Viricide Filly » 22 May 2014 11:26

Pulse Wave wrote:One more post for today. I'll start with two quite early songs.

Back in 1977, Giorgio Moroder invented electronic dance music.

Incorrect
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby Freewave » 22 May 2014 17:31

Viricide Filly wrote:
Pulse Wave wrote:One more post for today. I'll start with two quite early songs.

Back in 1977, Giorgio Moroder invented electronic dance music.

Incorrect

You might want to state the correct answer if you say a person's wrong. You could offer up Silver Apples - Oscillations (1968), although its hardly completely electronic. Jean-Jacques Perrey's E.V.A. (1970) isn't far off either. Or you could point to the first synthpop actually being Hot Butter's - Popcorn (1972) although it hardly set off dance music with a flood of imitators other than some more moog composers.

Moroder and Donna Summer's I Feel Love (1977) in many ways DID set off the template for both Eurodisco and Italo Disco and later House and Techno. Plus it was a massive tune. Even Kraftwerk didn't get quite the same impact right off the bat. Autobahn (1974) is hardly upper bpm dance foolery and neither is Trans Europe Express (1977). Neither is most Progressive Electronic like Tangerine Dream or Jean Michel Jarre although it's not light years off. Mostly missing a beat while it has trancey portions in play.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Pulse Wave » 24 May 2014 06:53

Well, let's put it that way: "I Feel Love" was the first song that came that close to EDM, at least the first popular one:
  • mostly electronic (it does include a heavily processed electric guitar and a Hohner Clavinet, and the bass drum is acoustic and played by Keith Forsey because 1977 was before phat & punchy electronic kick drums were invented)
  • sequencer-/pattern-based (at least the bass line and some of the drum sounds were sequenced in sync to a trigger track on the reel-to-reel tape) and therefore repetitive
  • four-to-the-floor with an emphasis on the kick drum plus noisy high-frequency percussion on the off-beat
  • no fill-ins or other unevenly distributed variations in the drum pattern
  • in the typical EDM BPM range
  • fading and/or muting of particular tracks (especially with the bass and the kick drum always continuing)
The ping-pong delay is typically 70s, as are the phased strings and certain stuff being hand- or foot-played instead of strictly sequenced, but most of the rest was at least a dozen years ahead of its time and has become almost timeless. Key elements came back a few times throughout the history of music as already mentioned, for example with Italo Disco in the early and mid-80s and with the fledgling modern EDM in the late 80s.

Speaking of Italo Disco, shall I include it in this thread, or does it deserve a separate one?

Pulse Wave

Postby Freewave » 24 May 2014 07:45

Might wanna give Italo Disco its own thread. It definitely deserves one.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Pulse's BLAHST from the PAHST: Classic Synthpop Thread

Postby Pulse Wave » 29 Jul 2014 08:21

Might as well post some more songs.

Synthpop from 1984's German: Alphaville – "Big In Japan"
Spoiler youtube:

They've always been referred to as the German Depeche Mode: Camouflage – "The Great Commandment"
Spoiler youtube:

What became of Joy Division: New Order – Blue Monday
Spoiler youtube:

Just barely missed Italo Disco, and you get your usual dose of LinnDrum and DX7: Al Corley – Square Rooms
Spoiler youtube:

Pulse Wave

Return to Music Discussion