General Synthesizer Discussion + Feedback

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: General Synthesizer Discussion + Feedback

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 Dec 2013 20:31

I have both covered...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8516
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8515

And help threads are generally a lot easier to work with on a thread to thread basis, its easier when looking back for specific questions and letting each discussion have its own life.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CitricAcid » 10 Dec 2013 10:30

the4thImpulse wrote:I have both covered...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8516
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8515

And help threads are generally a lot easier to work with on a thread to thread basis, its easier when looking back for specific questions and letting each discussion have its own life.

I agree with this. Though synthesizers will have many fundamental things in common, the features and user interface of each will be drastically different. If people are trying to ask questions about how to use NI Massive and the Access Virus and any of the zillions of other hardware and software synthesizers out there all in the same thread, things will get very confusing very quickly.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby HMage » 10 Dec 2013 20:18

Okay I'll start.

Massive sucks, Sylenth is best synth ever!
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby ChocolateChicken » 10 Dec 2013 21:42

HMage wrote:Okay I'll start.

Massive sucks, Sylenth is best synth ever!

I blame HMage for converting me to Sylenth when I used to make almost everything in Massive only. Lennard really outdid himself in making a better synth than an entire team of software developers at Native Instruments.

I still use Massive occasionally for more unique sound design with minimal post-processing because of all the unique waveforms in Massive, but I'd rather use an FM synth like FM8 instead of Massive any day. Most of the appeal for Massive to me is the performer, the Comb filter, and it's extensive modulation capabilities.

But yeah, Sylenth can do almost everything you'd want and you have little excuse to not use Sylenth most of all. But for the love of God, don't pirate Sylenth. If you can't purchase it just yet at least use the demo.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Captain Jack3h » 11 Dec 2013 06:19

Does anyone use microkorg? I made some awesome patches if anyone's interested.
Captain Jack3h

Primary: CASETTE TAPES AWWW YEAH
Cutie Mark: Broken Orange Record

Postby Conduit » 11 Dec 2013 16:56

Kyoga wrote:HMage do you have any good examples of stuff coming from Sylenth? for the people who don't know what it is.

Some people put out this pack of presets for it a while back, and I think they sound absolutely stunning. Sylenth is definitely on my list of things to get once I save up the money.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby senntenial » 11 Dec 2013 19:39

I never cared for massive, it seems too simple and I can't stand the arduous process of picking out every odd waveform. I also wish its tones were warmer, as Massive has a tendency to sound brittle and cold. Being said I absolutely love the macros and wish there were similar features across more VSTs, especially considering that FL Studio is the absolute worst at creating in-DAW macro sets.

My favorite plugin at the moment (and possibly of all time) has to be NI's FM8. I really prefer a quick and streamlined pipeline, and it's nice that I can think up a tone and create it without meandering through a table of nearly identical waveforms.

I wish I knew about programming and stuff so I could make some of my own VSTs. I've tried using Reaktor but I was never able to get a good tone out of it (my fault, of course).

also little plug, I have some presets on my site. they're a little dated but I'm sure you can find something cool in there. http://senntenial.com/downloads/ (click patches)
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby CitricAcid » 11 Dec 2013 20:22

My main synth is Omnisphere. It's probably not an EDM producer's first pick, but for augmenting an orchestra with electronics it's pretty great. It's coolest features are probably its rhythmic envelope capabilities, virtually limitless modulating options, and the fact that it can be used to synthesize sounds from scratch, process sounds in its existing (huge) sample library, or intermingle the two. Otherwise it's basically one big lovable preset bank.

I'm also currently fiddling with writing my own synth in PureData. I might post the results of that here later on. Weirdly enough, I think I have more patience for programming a synthesizer than for doing sound design in said synthesizer.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby azerty » 11 Dec 2013 20:36

Anyone else here a fan of Harmor? I really love being able to draw my own waveforms; it essentially gave me a better understanding of harmonics and fundamentals, as well as the ability to make some crazy basses and huge pads/effects. That and Massive are almost exclusively my instruments of choice at the moment.

Also, would you recommend my next purchase (this is a long ways away) be Sylenth or Sytrus? I know the ins and outs of both programs, and just wondering which one you prefer/which one has the most potential.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby senntenial » 11 Dec 2013 21:13

I've heard fantastic things about Harmor. IL's VSTs are always hit/miss to me, but it looks like a whole lot of fun.

As for Sylent vs. Sytrus, I can't give too much input on that. All I know is Sytrus is capable of some wicked FM tones
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Dec 2013 22:37

Spoiler azerty quote:
azerty wrote:Anyone else here a fan of Harmor? I really love being able to draw my own waveforms; it essentially gave me a better understanding of harmonics and fundamentals, as well as the ability to make some crazy basses and huge pads/effects. That and Massive are almost exclusively my instruments of choice at the moment.

Also, would you recommend my next purchase (this is a long ways away) be Sylenth or Sytrus? I know the ins and outs of both programs, and just wondering which one you prefer/which one has the most potential.

I'm a huge fan of Harmor, makes it into my top 3. My only complaint is I can't make whitenoise with the crazy thing.

I would highly recommend Sylenth. It's pretty straightforward, and it sounds amazing with what it's made for. There's also a lot of soundbanks available for it, if you're into that sort of thing. If you're after Beatport top 100, ASOT trance (ok that's redundant shutup), and progressive house style sounds, it's great. Realize Sylenth is subtractive, not FM.

Sytrus is a capable FM synth. I just was never really able to get into it, as I've been able to wrench any sound I want out of Massive with what I feel is more precision. (Maybe I'm just bad with FM still?) I only have Sytrus because I upgraded my FL to Signature. If what you're after is complicated brostepy and dirty growly sounds, you may want to go after Sytrus instead of Sylenth. (Perhaps FM8 would be better for a very similar price?)

Demos are available for each synth so you can try before you buy.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Conduit » 12 Dec 2013 19:42

Kyoga wrote:Does anyone here use Absynth 5 regularly?

Not regularly, but I'm really been meaning to get more into it. From the videos I've seen, and presets I've used it can make some absolutely beautiful sounds.

Conduit

Postby S.P.P » 13 Dec 2013 01:55

azerty wrote:Anyone else here a fan of Harmor? I really love being able to draw my own waveforms; it essentially gave me a better understanding of harmonics and fundamentals, as well as the ability to make some crazy basses and huge pads/effects. That and Massive are almost exclusively my instruments of choice at the moment.

Yes, I adore Harmor. Resamplin', son!

As for Sytrus vs. Sylenth, I'd say Sytrus. It's an absolute powerhouse and coming from a technical standpoint it's far more useful and versatile than Sylenth due to being an FM synth. Personally, I'd choose Sytrus - but get a demo of each and try them both out for yourself.

Sytrus x Harmor OTP though ..
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 14 Dec 2013 17:59

I'm getting my money's worth from Razor. It hogs up a lot of my cpu if I use it more than 2 or 3 times in the one project, but there's always resampling to get around that. It's marketted like a big ol dubstep machine, and it can do that without any problems, but it's capable of a lot more than that. Some of the leads I've gotten out of it are really something, and the Unisono options are pretty easily my favorite thing about it. Plus the interface is so similar to massive that I had next to no trouble learning to use it.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Captain Jack3h » 14 Dec 2013 19:50

Analog, digital, or software/hybrid?
Captain Jack3h

Postby Conduit » 14 Dec 2013 21:55

Kyoga wrote:Razor is a digital synthesizer that is native to NI's Reaktor 5.
It has a series of custom waveforms and a parallel effects chain that are designed to combine various oscillators through different modulations.

It's filter choice is rather minimal and the oscillator choice is rather dull for anything outside of what it's advertised for. You can get some good dry sounds from it, but I would rather stick with something that's more meant for internal modulation.

Razer has a built in vocorder, which I don't think I've ever seen someone use. Biggles would you mind making a quick demo, or even just trying it out and telling me how it is?

Conduit

Postby Captain Jack3h » 15 Dec 2013 09:04

Kyoga wrote:something that's native to Reaktor 5

Heh, Native.

I do think Reaktor is way better. The sound of it sounds way more like rich analog goodness.
Captain Jack3h

Postby Conduit » 15 Dec 2013 11:46

Captain Jack3h wrote:
Kyoga wrote:something that's native to Reaktor 5

I do think Reaktor is way better. The sound of it sounds way more like rich analog goodness

Way better then what? Reaktor is an engine for building synths, not a synth on its own. Monark (which is modeled after some moog) sounds analog, and Razor sounds really electronic, but both are made in Reaktor.

Conduit

Postby LFP » 15 Dec 2013 16:32

I haven't tried monark myself would anyone recommend it over synths with similar purpose? ^^

Also I'm not a huge fan of the "Select your waves/Filters from the collection we made for you!" Thing NI seems to be doing a lot in their products, pretty much why I've gone to Harmor instead of razor for any additive, subtractive stuff ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby HMage » 15 Dec 2013 19:28

IMO Monark is a Diva ripoff. Get the proper one.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby ChocolateChicken » 15 Dec 2013 20:09

Hey HMage, I remember on the previous synth thread you said you were about to try out Spire. How was it?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Captain Jack3h » 16 Dec 2013 15:09

Gah
I'm using the free ones that come with the trial version or Reaktor- newskool or whatever its called. It's got some amazing warm rich drum sounds.
Captain Jack3h

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 13 Jan 2014 19:37

I use Reaktor, but not very regularly. Mostly I goof around with preexisting synths and Frankenstein my favorite parts together. I'm in no way very adept with it.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby JSynth » 14 Jan 2014 12:34

Kyoga wrote:Does anybody here use Reaktor?
I'm working more with creating my own synths but I was wondering if anybody else was trying to do the same.

Yes, I am doing the same thing. Right now, my issue is trying to figure out the best way to wire up an LFO so that it could be routed to a variety of things.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Alycs » 17 Jan 2014 08:49

Could you do the Voices of Dune one; both are beautiful, but the voices of dune are simply amazing.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Next

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice