SoundCloud to phase in ads + "Premier Partner"

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

SoundCloud to phase in ads + "Premier Partner"

Postby Callenby » 28 Aug 2014 00:56

Original article here.

After the news about YouTube's decisions regarding streaming and indie artists, it seems SoundCloud isn't too far behind. All things considered, these changes seem to be (for the most part) negligible, but it may be a sign of things to come.

What do you make of this? Does this excite or concern you? Does it change nothing at all? Maybe something like this was always bound to happen the longer SoundCloud went on. I know a few of us saw it as a more "stable" alternative to YouTube so I wonder if this news will change any opinions.

Also, long time no see, I guess.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Re: SoundCloud to phase in ads + "Premier Partner"

Postby Stuntddude » 28 Aug 2014 05:49

Ads don't bother me, the fact that they use the wording "see or hear" in regards to the ads that they're planning is what bothers me. I don't mind seeing ads, but hearing them (on a site specifically about listening to music and other audio, no less) is another matter entirely. Hopefully they'll stick to what it says in the article, and the people who get in on this won't be dumb enough to actually enable audio ads on their content.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby ExoBassTix » 31 Aug 2014 05:08

I have yet to encounter ads but, honestly, I don't know what to think except for "yay I can finally upload more sounds without paying."

EDIT: If I ever encounter ads on SoundCloud, I think I'd only be upset if they start playing sound by themselves. That's something which majorly upsets me, ads that make sound without me knowing.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby DJ TATCM » 31 Aug 2014 08:17

i suspect that some devious ad exec in the near future will produce songs that only reveal themselves as blatant advertisements after a minute

maybe i could make money off this idea hang on
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Return to Off-Topic Discussion