YouTube's Music Streaming Service - Will it Affect Us?

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

YouTube's Music Streaming Service - Will it Affect Us?

Postby JSynth » 17 Jun 2014 15:29

So, I guess that Google has announced today that they are coming out with a payed music streaming service. Not a big deal right? Actually, the real kicker they have is that they are also announcing that all artists who do not join the service will have their music blocked from YouTube.

TheVerge wrote:As YouTube prepares to roll out an ad-free streaming music service, it will block videos from indie artists who don't sign up for the new offering, as originally reported by Financial Times. YouTube has signed deals with the major labels, and is explicitly threatening to block artists from using the entire YouTube platform — free or paid — if they do not agree to the terms of the new streaming service.
(X)

There aren't too many details on it right now, but it makes me wonder if this will affect us. Are they going to care about a few Horse & DIY musicians in the corner of the internet?

Thoughts?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Re: YouTube's Music Streaming Service - Will it Affect Us?

Postby Callenby » 17 Jun 2014 15:51

I have no idea how this is going to affect us. I guess it depends on whether the streaming service is a viable alternative to what we already do.

The worst case scenario is that we can no longer use YouTube for exposure, so we probably just migrate completely to Soundcloud or some other hosting site. It would definitely be harmful in the short term (a lot of people would likely stay with the service they already know rather than change with us) but it could be a boon in the long term.

That's my immediate reaction, anyway.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Stuntddude » 17 Jun 2014 16:25

The direct consequence for me is that I'm currently looking for the most viable alternative to youtube for posting my videos.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby CitricAcid » 17 Jun 2014 16:58

My guess is they're more concerned about the big artists than the little ones. We'll have to pay to watch our favoirte Vevo heroes (the horror?) while everyone else can carry on untouched. If that's the case, it would be cool if this caused a boom in viewership of small-time internet musicians. Those who want music on YouTube but don't want to pay for it (or steal it) have to turn somewhere, right?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Stuntddude » 17 Jun 2014 20:01

I think you missed the point. Google are planning to target small time labels and indie musicians who haven't agreed to their terms specifically because Google knows they could hurt their business that way. If they plan to make people pay to stream music hosted by them, but there's still a huge amount of music just there for free on youtube, then far fewer people will actually buy into their new business move.

Basically, they know that it's not a viable business model, and that they're going to have to wield their existing power to (to the best of their ability) force users to use it just to make it successful - basically the same deal they had with G+.

My bet, personally, is that they won't actually be stupid enough to go through with what they're planning, but they'll probably still try to settle for something halfway there that will still manage to screw things up for everyone anyway. And if that happens, I'm still going bail. Because fuck that. Google is right next to The Line at the moment. It doesn't take them a very big step to cross it.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
Stuntddude

Postby ph00tbag » 17 Jun 2014 20:34

Google's really been fucking up lately. It's a damn shame they have so many good tools, because when they tie that into their really shitty tools, and force you to use both, it just ruins the whole experience.

I'm really worried about this move. It's entirely possible that the exposure unsigned artists like most of us get will be lost no matter what, since users will be unlikely to move to the streaming service, and the remaining places we go to to host our music just serves to flood the market with a bunch of indistinguishable options.

Usually, I really like the things Google does. But every so often, they pull a stunt like this that is so clearly manipulative and not in the interest of fair competition, and it really disappoints me.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ExoBassTix » 18 Jun 2014 05:00

Besides that I don't trust Google anymore and use it as less as possible, this news just once again explains why I don't want to have anything to do with the YouTube hassle. If I ever need to upload videos I'll go for Dailymotion or Vimeo. For the rest Soundcloud is best.

Google can too easily do something wrong and force people to adapt to that and move on with it. Just because it's Google. Well that scares the shit out of me, so Google's off-limits for me anyways.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Pulse Wave » 19 Jun 2014 04:36

Google might be quite confident that they can succeed with this scheme because people don't know any alternatives. Which unfortunately is the truth: The vast majority knows only one search engine (Google), only one media upload/streaming platform (YouTube), only one social network (Facebook), only one microblogging service (Twitter)...
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby UoPoko » 22 Jun 2014 10:33

This sounds like it will frustrate the hell out of me, since the majority of the stuff I like will fall under this umbrella, and thus likely disappear from Youtube. All those fan-translated PVs of Japanese Rock bands, all that obscure nerdy music that isn't even on an indie label, let alone a major one since it was uploaded by the creators themselves. The thought of all that vanishing off the site kinda bugs me. And certainly say goodbye to folks like Girl Talk and Truxton, whose music contains numerous unauthorized samples. Not to mention every fan-made remix of a song, or fan-made hip hop beats...
UoPoko

Primary: Reason + Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: A yellow submarine

Postby Stuntddude » 23 Jun 2014 06:12

I'm not even bothered so much by having to go somewhere else for my music - nearly every musician I follow on youtube, I already follow elsewhere as well (like on soundcloud). The main thing that disturbs me is that this feels like it fits into a much larger narrative of The Industry vs. the independent artists. One of the most important tasks of independent music is to just let people know, "hey, I exist! I'm a viable alternative to The Industry!" so that people know there is other music out there than what they hear on the radio and see on T-shirts.

The fact that Google execs feel that they can just erase indie music from their sites, like it may as well not even exists, or like the vast majority of people will be totally complacent and willing to only ever listen to music from big name labels (which is likely true), shows we still have a hell of a long way to go.

Really what I'm saying is, tear down the music industry tbh
Stuntddude

Postby UoPoko » 23 Jun 2014 07:00

"Really what I'm saying is, tear down the music industry tbh."

If that is the future of things, then I guess personally hosting
your own music via share services like Dropbox will be the way to go.
If people were made more aware of this like the hullabaloo over
Sopa/Pipa, I'm pretty sure that people would band together
to give Google a piece of their mind on the subject, not
that it would likely matter in the long run.

If it weren't for Youtube and that "suggestions" thing,
I wouldn't know a majority of my favorite artists even existed.
And to take it even further back, if it hadn't been for file-sharing
and fan websites back in '03, I wouldn't know any of the Japanese
bands I like, or any other non-American groups for that matter.

No Dir en grey, no OOMPH!, no Indochine, no Turmion Katilot, no Ruoska... u.u
That's a pretty depressing thought.

Btw, Stuntdude... I think you'd enjoy Greydon Square, he's pretty anti-music industry / anti-label.
http://greydonsquare.bandcamp.com/track/1-21-2
UoPoko

Primary: Reason + Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: A yellow submarine

Postby Stuntddude » 23 Jun 2014 21:23

I don't think SOPA or PIPA have anything to do with this, though.
Stuntddude

Return to Off-Topic Discussion