Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Discussion thread (for discordshins)

Postby Acsii » 03 Feb 2015 16:40

Ricky Denzel wrote:I'm never gonna vote. It's my damn right not to.

I don't understand people like this... They choose not to vote but still complain about the government
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Jokeblue » 03 Feb 2015 16:58

Acsii wrote:

I don't understand people like this... They choose not to vote but still complain about the government

But Acsii, if they don't vote, then they had no hand in picking the current government and are entitled to complain about everyone elses bad choice that they didnt make D:
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 03 Feb 2015 17:54

It's not because it's your right, that's just a bad excuse even if it is a right.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Ricky Denzel » 04 Feb 2015 09:45

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:It's not because it's your right, that's just a bad excuse even if it is a right.

Should I feel insulted?
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby DJ TATCM » 04 Feb 2015 12:09

i feel insulted bc u dindt anser wmy question :c

als o if i didnt feel like voting itd be too much effort to type that out mself yknow wha mean
:c
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby Ricky Denzel » 04 Feb 2015 12:14

can you send it to my email.

Also: I'm gonna miss this guy

Monty Oum (Creator of RWBY and Red Vs. Blue) - 1981-2015
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby FLAOFEI » 04 Feb 2015 17:37

Are you serious about this O.O
Cause from my cultural background that seems idiotic... It's pretty much as counterproductive as it gets! Sorry if that offends you, but that's how it is
If you like democracy you better do your part in keeping it! And that means voting! If you don't want idiots who want to take away your rights ruling your country, you better do your part in keeping them out.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 04 Feb 2015 19:11

So I did pretty good with my marks last trimester. One of my subjects is in doubt as to whether or not I passed but considering the amount of stuff I had to do all at once and how bad I am at multitasking that could be a lot worse.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ph00tbag » 04 Feb 2015 21:57

FLAOFEI wrote:Are you serious about this O.O
Cause from my cultural background that seems idiotic... It's pretty much as counterproductive as it gets! Sorry if that offends you, but that's how it is
If you like democracy you better do your part in keeping it! And that means voting! If you don't want idiots who want to take away your rights ruling your country, you better do your part in keeping them out.

Believe it or not, it's a common opinion over here. I've never understood it, myself. For what it's worth, if you believe none of the candidates will represent your views, or worse, that all of them are bought and paid for by the oligarchy, then not voting is a way to register that sentiment. And unfortunately, it's hard to argue against it.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby FLAOFEI » 05 Feb 2015 02:31

Oh... Wow... I had no idea...
ph00tbag wrote: And unfortunately, it's hard to argue against it.

It kinda is though... Not voting is a way of saying you accept the choice of the other voters. If the message is that you don't like the candidates you should atleast throw away your vote where it counts! Like at Vermin Supreme or someone like that. you might not get him into parliament or anything, but you will pull down the % of voters voting for the candidates you don't like.

In my experience people never think with that much math... So I see why people wouldn't see that as obvious enough to believe...

Edit: Or if you want to have an emotionalish argumen you can say "That's how people like Hittler get power! Good people shut up!"
Cause if good ppl don't voice their opinions it gives more power to those with extreme views, wo are gonna vote either way. I'm willing to bet atleast 90% of all neo-nazi fanatics make their voices hearheard. And if only 50% of the general population vote, that gives them way more power.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
FLAOFEI

Postby Ricky Denzel » 05 Feb 2015 06:26

I'm still not voting. So you can send my black ass to jail! I don't care *Said with a smile on his face*
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Feb 2015 16:45

Uh? Good for you I guess?

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby FLAOFEI » 05 Feb 2015 17:23

Well... I wish I could say that that's your problem, and yours alone... but it's atleast not my problem, so go ahead. Do that. Some great democratic guy once said that he didn't agree with someones opinionss, but he would diefor your right to say them. I don't think I'd go that far, since by my standards you don't seem to value democracy and free speach, but what the hell, why not, I've never thought highly of neither America nor politics :/
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby Ricky Denzel » 06 Feb 2015 09:02

didn't have to be passive aggressive about it.
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 07 Feb 2015 01:49

I will not vote. Not for a while at least.
But don't call me idiotic for it.
I decided not to vote. I also do not complain about my government. I'm content with it really.
But that's because I don't know much about current issues in my government regarding new laws and bills.
And I decided I'm not voting because I simply do not know enough about anything
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby eery » 07 Feb 2015 09:14

Thats actually quite a wise decision. it's sorta ridiculous how much useless shit we were taught on school, for instance in math, we were taught all kinds of abstract math concepts, but not basic taxes, how to manage your own economy.

I saw this cool sorta musicy video on the subject the other day it was pretty cool

eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby ph00tbag » 07 Feb 2015 11:31

Well, fwiw, taxes and budgeting are really just arithmetic. The problem is that we don't do home ec anymore, which taught everything from budgeting and cooking to how your toilet works. It taught us how to exist in the modern world. Civics would also be nice to have back, since people would actually understand how the government works on every level.

As for math, I'd say the stuff you learn in high school really isn't useless outside of theory. Even if you study Calculus, using diff eqs for optimization is nice.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Jokeblue » 07 Feb 2015 18:03

I guess they just assume that you'd learn that kind of stuff at home. I mean, yeah you kinda do, but it would definately not be a waste of time for a school to, in someway, dedicate time to teaching students how this wackjob world works. However, in my case I did General Maths at school rather than anything advanced or complicated cos I hate maths. And in that we did do things like budgeting and and other income related arithmetic like tax and other stuff, but they didn't really treat it like they were trying to help us prepare for the real world versions of it and more so just because it was another exercise in the books that we had to cover as part of our rubric. So we did do it, but it was just another chapter in a book for pretty much everyone.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 07 Feb 2015 22:03

My school kind of did a home economics lesson.
Basically we kept track of the money we spend each month. Then we add in car expenses, rent, insurance and all sorts of stuff if it's not already there to make it look more realistic. Then we compared all those costs along with potential yearly costs (oil change, vacation, etc) to a projected income.
I used my current income level and I can say that I'm now feeling more secure about living on my own
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Acsii » 08 Feb 2015 02:06

For me Home eco was literally just cooking haha. And on the lines of calculus it's super handy, I use it a lot.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby ExoBassTix » 08 Feb 2015 03:01

Well I stepped out of secondary school three years early. Can't say I remember anything I've learned regarding economics and maths (except the pythagoras theorem and tiny bits of trigonometry), but I've never ever had any lessons on any school in my life in which the subject was even a little bit about living in this mad big world of ours. Well, maybe except biology. Not sure. Oh and English... I mean come on, Animal Farm.

But well, politics only ever annoys or confuses me, so I don't pay much attention to it. I only really notice anything politics-related when the media decides I should. Another reason why the media can die in a hole and leave it to us.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 08 Feb 2015 04:10

Acsii wrote:For me Home eco was literally just cooking haha. And on the lines of calculus it's super handy, I use it a lot.

In grade 9 I used to do engineering class, which had alright content but was exclusively full of idiots who shouldn't be allowed near tools of any kind so I switched out and home ec was all that was free and pretty much immediately became the home ec's teacher's least favourite person. I was kind of a little shit back then, I forgot to bring ingredients one day so I came to class and stood sort of just behind people so she didn't know I was there till the class had 5 minutes left. She wasn't very happy about that.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby S.P.P » 08 Feb 2015 06:24

In England, I was never taught economics at all. Nor politics, home ex or general studies. The British education system is screwed up in the sense that it teaches you NOTHING useful. I went and did A-level chemistry, biology and psychology, before which secondary school didn't properly equip me for learning advanced chem & bio, let alone real-world "life skills" and knowledge. It's a struggle.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby FLAOFEI » 08 Feb 2015 17:30

eery wrote:It's sorta ridiculous how much useless shit we were taught on school, for instance in math, we were taught all kinds of abstract math concepts, but not basic taxes, how to manage your own economy.

My first reaction to this was like "OH HELL NO!!!", cause I'm studdying electrical engineering... and that means I'm studdying some pretty darn abstract shit! If you think derivatives are abstract, you ain't seen nothing yet! I learn and use alot of 'abstract' concepts , and I have to devote a shitload of time and energy on understanding them, so I got a little pissed off when you called them useless...

None the less. I still ask my parents what the hell those wierd letters with big words and alarming (and pretty darn abstract) numbers, telling me things I should probably understand. And after watching that music video I got pretty shocked... cause I realised I don't know human rights...

I also as I wrote this realised that the math I use is only usefull in a select few jobs... So yeah... I get the point.

And I also realised I've spent the last few hours making a parody image for a patch making fun of how crazy a certain mathematical concept is...
Spoiler Spongebob:
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby Facade » 08 Feb 2015 19:09

thinking about the square root of negative one always made my brain hurt
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion