Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Dish Cushion Thread

Postby Ricky Denzel » 23 Sep 2015 08:08

So.......

I'm working on new stuff (never gonna stop working, fucka). Working on more stuff and planning on Clawdeen 3 for 2017. Wish me luck. Already got a few tracks for the LP and making it 23 tracks
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby FLAOFEI » 23 Sep 2015 18:04

Oh exo. Trust me. You're not alone! I had never studied for real before last yearwhen I started uni!

I solved that when I realised what I hated so much about homework. I hate bringing my work Home. So I just stayed in school and did it instead.
I'm slightly better at studdying now. It's still hard to not ragequit, but hey... Cat poster slogans.

Edit: yeh... I made that sound easier than it is... I'm lucky to be smart, but intelligence alone doesn't get you through a higher education. Hard work does... And intelligence helps a bit to... But mainly studdy technique... Idk...
If you wanna try to do your homework in school that might help. It works for me.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 23 Sep 2015 21:20

I had a teacher that couldn't do any of her teacher stuff (grading, making plans, etc) unless she was at school. Home was too much of a relax and chill kind of place for her.
Even adults with professions have that problem. Not just students.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 25 Sep 2015 06:29

I have been working on the same one song since May. ;_; I
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Fl Brony » 25 Sep 2015 06:59

I havent touched FL in months
S E N D
H E L P
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 25 Sep 2015 10:07

The physical embodiment of Fl studio (in pony form) hasn't even used fl studio. Sad times these are.

Also, I learned that inside the country of Australia (in like the more west and southern part) there is a country that is entirely surrounded by Australia and the Australian government does it best to ignore it.
The king was officially recognized by the Australian government by accident. Now, it's just a small place that doesn't have to pay taxes. Freaking awesome. (It's located by a river. Farming community. Some dispute led them to secede from Australia. When the government was informed, they jokingly called the guy the king. That legally made him recognized as the king of that place. Australia quickly realized their mistake and said "oops" and now they ignore it.) ((I forgot what it's called. :/))
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Ricky Denzel » 25 Sep 2015 11:18

Sounds like Iggy Azalea ain't Australia's only problem

BTW Has anyone noticed something missing in this board
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 25 Sep 2015 13:37

Ricky Denzel wrote:Sounds like Iggy Azalea ain't Australia's only problem

Other than a decent number of active members?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Jokeblue » 25 Sep 2015 15:26

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
Ricky Denzel wrote:Sounds like Iggy Azalea ain't Australia's only problem

Other than a decent number of active members?

I am more than fairly certain that the thing BaC was talkin about is actually legit. And no I'm not pulling your leg as one of the forums resident Australians.

But yeah a large array of active members might be it.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ExoBassTix » 25 Sep 2015 17:00

We could really use some powerful initiative that we all wanna contribute to together.

Perhaps, I got an idea ...
Yes, I'll do some thinking. Not too organized, just something casual and fun that'll be a great way for us to do something fun together again.

I'll get to thinking.

Also I leveled up an hour ago.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 25 Sep 2015 22:28

I'm getting pretty hyped over Them's Fightin' Herds
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 26 Sep 2015 05:12

That "country" is basically a small farm.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby ph00tbag » 26 Sep 2015 07:11

Yeah, for the most part, micronations like that are a great platform for observing the heights of lunacy. The wiki article on them is some fun reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronation.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Acsii » 26 Sep 2015 07:43

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:That "country" is basically a small farm.

Yeah we don't talk about those people.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 27 Sep 2015 22:29

I never realized how paranoid I am until I started doing the night shift solo.
I'm constantly looking over my shoulder to see if anyone or anything is there. :/

Also, celebrating luna tonight with the lunar eclipse. Yay
Can't say that I actually saw the Eclipse. :/ I must have been too busy working (or other was cloudy when it happened).

I can't believe that this thread has almost reached 80K views. Holy cow
I say we celebrate at 100K
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 28 Sep 2015 20:21

I sort of want to crowd fund an album. Not sure though. My idea is that if people are interested in my music and support the crowd funding process, then in return I can give people better music and physical CDs. All I'll be able to commission an artist to help make great cover art. Plus, possibly have my music available on iTunes and other medias would be cool. (Even if only a few people decide to buy them.)
If I were to do a crowd funded project, I would probably use either kickstarter or indiegogo. I would want to raise about $500. Sounds like a lot, but let me break it down.
-I wold want about 20% of the raised money going into Physical copies. ($100)
-I would like to give an artist about $200 for legit cover art which is about 40% of the goal.
-I want $180 to go to digital release. This would cover the cost of adding my album to itunes, as well as many other music outlets. (Spotify? Beats? Music Unlimited? Etc.) I would try to get it out onto many different platforms to satisfy many different people. I would also be using part of that $170 to make sure that my music stays on those outlets for longer than just a year. This section is about 34%.
-I want to reserve 6% to pay for any fees that come from using the funding sites.
And I doubt I'll get enough support to need stretch goals, but if any more money is raised, it would go towards creative elements. This could be samples, buying new tools to create new sounds, or paying even more for a commissioned cover art. All the money would be put to good use.
I realize that this all sounds like a lot of money, but if a bunch of people just gave a little and helped to spread the word, this could actually go pretty swell. I think crowd funding is a great idea because it lets me see how many people are actually interested and who is not interested.
idk
What do you all think? Is crowd funding lame?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ExoBassTix » 29 Sep 2015 15:31

Uhm... Do funding sites require fees? And holy mackrel, $200 for a cover art?! That sounds like a shitload man!

I personally don't really care much about crowdfunding actions like these. I encourage you to work towards that goal of $500 yourself. I have no real reasons why I think that, but I do.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 29 Sep 2015 18:48

I could certainly raise money to contribute myself. It would just take a bit of time.

And also, I just figured I would leave a large amount for the commissioned art since I want to be able to make sure that the cover art is rendered in a format that would fit on several panels for the inside of the CD case. Imagine seeing like 3-5 pieces of art inside the cover, plus the cover. I feel like thats a reasonable amount. I dont just want some sketchy art, I want something noticeable and notable.

I'm going to prepare a great presentation and figure out some more exact figures and re-present them to have a more clear goal.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Freewave » 30 Sep 2015 07:51

Honestly it sounds like you're dreaming a bit too hard BaC. Only you know how popular your music is and how much $ you are currently making. Asking for money in advance for future production sounds like something that will be hard to meet and get the results you are looking for. Not to mention for all those sites you have to meet the goal to get the money otherwise the startup company generally keeps / refunds the funds. Stick with bandcamp sales if you think you need to be making money and see how well that works.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 30 Sep 2015 20:26

Freewave wrote:Honestly it sounds like you're dreaming a bit too hard BaC. Only you know how popular your music is and how much $ you are currently making. Asking for money in advance for future production sounds like something that will be hard to meet and get the results you are looking for. Not to mention for all those sites you have to meet the goal to get the money otherwise the startup company generally keeps / refunds the funds. Stick with bandcamp sales if you think you need to be making money and see how well that works.

I'm going into this project expecting to lose money in the end. However, raising money will help to lower just how much I am likely to lose. The reason I want to do this project is not because I want to sell my music for profit, but rather I want to spread it out as much as I can. A decent number of local people in my life support me here and there when it comes to music. I sort of want to allow them to have easier access to what I have to offer.
Plus, if the funding did happen to go well, I could literally give away all my CDs for free (or half of them at least) since they would all already be paid for. idk. I'm actually in the process of creating a kickstarter right now and working all the math. For example, I know I want to raise money anywhere from 250-350 minimum for getting the disks, the art, and the distribution. Any more money raised would be to improve quality. The way I will be establishing my kick starter will be by setting a lower goal for minimal stuff, and then have stretch goals to improve the quality of the stuff. (better / more commissioned art.)(higher quality disks.)(higher quality disk cases.)
Right now I am carefully planning my campaign. This is because I want my campaign to look legit. Because it will be a legit campaign.

you'll all see what it will be because I am pretty sure I'll be falling through with this plan.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 01 Oct 2015 12:30

I think the new 15 second clip showing off this week's new episode features big Mac saying more words than he had ever said in the history of big Mac.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ph00tbag » 02 Oct 2015 00:36

So hey, am I seriously the only one who is at least even chagrined that The Martian casts one short of every character, whose race the book does not define, as pretty damn white, and of the two leading roles who are defined, one is an Indian-American played by a Black Englishman? Like, the internet will lose its shit over a Scottish King being portrayed by a white man, but everyone seems positively ho-hum about what could have been, indeed practically demands to be, a paean to diversity, a blank slate, if you will, becoming just another post in the white fence that is Hollywood theater. I feel so damn confused right now, because I would think this is a prime example of whitewashing in American media, but I feel like I'm the only person who sees it.

Like, am I the only one who sees the name, Mindy Park, and immediately thinks, "that's a Korean American woman, because 'Park' is a popular anglicization of 'Pak,' a common Korean name"? I can't be the only person of those who read the book who experimented with reading each of the characters as black, white, and everything in between, and really enjoyed the fact that no matter what race these people were, they were always treated with the same respect, and expected to perform the same duties. All of these characters are basically just white in the movie, and it makes no goddamn sense.

And then there's Ejiofor as Venkat Kapoor. Like, maybe there's a problem in the optics of when a white man says a black man should not have been cast for a given role, especially in a movie so thin on Actors of Color, but I mean... Black people and Indian people aren't the same.. There are totally and completely different cultures and values there. I feel there's a whiff of Exoticism, here, as if Ejiofor was cast as Kapoor because Kapoor is notwhite, and Ejiofor is notwhite, and since anything notwhite is something the production staff can't be arsed to understand, you can cast one notwhite person as another, and that's totally okay. But it's not okay. It African Americans and Indian Americans a disservice in one blow, and frankly, Ejiofor could have served better in another role. I think he'd've made a great Mark Watney.

But then, this is Ridley Scott.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Freewave » 02 Oct 2015 08:08

I think I agree that appears to be a really poor job of whitewashing, maybe one that SJW's won't get horribly upset about but that ppl likely should say SOMETHING about. That said I think having Matt Damon play an astronaut in the lead role is so ridiculous anyway and a far fetched space movie about Mars seems out of place with NASA being as underfunded as it is. I really don't know who's supposed to be excited by the trailer and the whole concept seems so far fetched. This marooned guy can grow food and has enough oxygen and water to survive for months / years? REALLLLLY? Too much fiction and not enough science....

I dunno i think people are more expecting it to flop HARD then get upset about the really poor casting choices. It doesn't even look like a good rental.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ph00tbag » 03 Oct 2015 05:33

If your complaints are about the science, I highly recommend reading the book. I can't speak for the movie, but the book does a good job of extrapolating from what we know what growing food on Mars would look like. In general, the hard facts of what would help him survive and what would probably kill him are pretty damn solid.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Acsii » 04 Oct 2015 16:40

Yeah the author did a dam good about of research when writing the book, yes a lot is guess work but still it's very realistic assumptions.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion