Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Dish Cushion Thread

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Sep 2015 01:01

You need to do some reading. For one, he's gone bankrupt 4 times, I wouldn't trust him on a $5 coffee run because he'd come back with a $1000 debt and an empty cup instead. Secondly do you really think he's legit concerned about immigration? He's so obviously stirring the pot to get people who don't know better to rally against something. And secondly on that point he doesn't seem to have a problem with outsourcing most of his corporate work to other countries for someone who wants to "make America strong". Not to mention the stuff LFP mentioned. Fact is, trump is a bad candidate. I'm legitimately worried about what'd happen if he won, what happens in America has effects here too.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Sep 2015 01:02

Not to mention any time he contracts someone for work he screws them out of their full pay and sues them if they contest him. You really think he's interested in money for OTHER people?
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 16 Sep 2015 01:37

So basically you want to vote for someone that has lead multi billion companies to bankruptcy twice(?) and let him lead a country? If you want to vote for someone who si an actual human and knows what the fuck he's doing, vote for Bernie Sanders.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 16 Sep 2015 06:04

Question: when America gets a new president, how does it affect other countries. (I've never reapply actually thought about that before.)
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Acsii » 16 Sep 2015 08:03

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Question: when America gets a new president, how does it affect other countries. (I've never reapply actually thought about that before.)

well the economy is linked world wide, so if the american economy was to crash, the whole world would follow most likely, as the major stock trading centre is America. Also the fact that a lot of resources are bought by america, so other countries exporting would stop if America can no longer afford to buy said resources. Basically the whole world is connected.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby ph00tbag » 16 Sep 2015 09:05

To his credit, Donald Trump does actually talk a lot about making taxes impact the wealthy more than the poor. I'm not sure how much he intends to make good on that--my biggest gripe with him (you know, besides the fact that he is every kind of bigot I can think of) is that he is well-established as a lying, cheating swindler who cares more about Trump than anyone else--but there is some kind of merit to his financial policies.

But you want me to fill in cons for Trump?

-Openly racist: Doesn't see any need for reforms to combat systemic racism, has even prevaricated when confronted with the fact that his words have inspired at least one hate crime.
-Openly misogynist: Does not support reproductive rights, or see any need to address the lingering problems facing women in this country.
-Openly homophobic: Does not support gay marriage.
-Borderline criminal past in his business dealings: No, seriously, this guy has used every dirty trick in the book to minimize overhead, and undermine even the idea of competition. Those four bankruptcies? They weren't because he failed to run his business; they were because he didn't want to have to keep paying his employees after he had cashed out on the business model. If Hillary Clinton is untrustworthy for using her personal email for work correspondence, what the hell does Trump's past say about him?

But you want to know about Other candidates, so here's Bernie. Bernie Sanders is against the TPP, which will most likely export American Copyright Law overseas, as well as thousands of American jobs, and move even more of the 1%'s already nebulous cash flow out of the country, and out of federal taxabilty. He proposes decreased taxes on the middle and lower classes, with steep raises in upper class tax rates, as well as removing a lot of expensive tax cuts that benefit corporate interest groups. He supports strong federal labor laws that protect national level unions. He supports gay marriage, income equality, law enforcement reform, redesegregation of schools, housing equality, reproductive rights, and pathway to citizenship. On top of that, he has long been one of the most transparent and conviction-driven politicians in America, and is easily the most likable candidate in the entire field. The only con to Bernie I can really find is that he's a bit on the old side. But that's not even a con, really.

As an aside, my dream ticket at this point is Sanders/Warren. Holy shit, I would probably faint.

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Question: when America gets a new president, how does it affect other countries. (I've never reapply actually thought about that before.)

To clarify on Acsii's post, the price of oil, one of the foundational commodities of the global economy, is set in US dollars, which means much of the global market has to work in our currency. When the US economy struggles, the rest of the world struggles as a direct result. We're also a huge trading partner with many other nations; if we're not the top trading partner for a given developed nation, we're definitely in their top five. If we stop spending, even for a minute, a lot of economies suddenly have something like three fourths the income they did. Imagine you're paid $12 an hour, then your boss says the company's making big cuts and now you're only paid $9/hour. That's huge. Most of the developed world has a keen interest in seeing the US do well, economically, so they want to see presidents who have a strong fiscal policy.

If I'm 100% honest, I don't actually see a lot of huge differences between the things Trump and Sanders are talking about, fiscally. Trump could very well be a strong economic president. I don't want to discount that. But he's a fucking snake. We already had one Nixon. Please, let's not have another.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 16 Sep 2015 12:43

There needs to be a "like" button on this forum because I would press the like button on some of the posts in here.
Acsii +1pt
Ph00tbag +1pt
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ph00tbag » 16 Sep 2015 13:50

I'll be honest, what you've displayed here is actually another problem with American politics. Often, a candidate's popularity among voters is heavily weighted by media exposure. At this point, Trump dominates the airwaves simply by being an incorrigible, hate-filled bigot, and has pretty much stifled any kind of discussion within the Republican party by stealing away any camera time the other candidates may try to get their hands on (In most cases probably for the best, although Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush do occasionally have things to say that I wish more people would pay attention to). On the other side of the aisle, the mainstream media is in hysterics over Clinton's imploding campaign, and can't come up with a replacement, establishment candidate that they like, so there's no publicity on the Democrat side. Bernie isn't really a darling of mainstream media, for reasons I'm not fully clear on, but the overwhelming response from the media to the fact that Sanders is leading the Democratic ticket in New Hampshire and Iowa is bemused chagrin. So he doesn't get the press you'd think he'd warrant for a Democratic Nomination frontrunner.

Because Trump is all you're exposed to in the mainstream media, as a result of all this, he's the only candidate you know anything about. Rather than just rely on the evening news for your political knowledge, I recommend using this quiz: https://www.isidewith.com/. You can answer a bunch of questions about the variety of issues we face, and they'll suggest candidates that suit you. That way, you can better educate yourself about each candidate's platform.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby FLAOFEI » 16 Sep 2015 16:57

Wow... American politics... I hate getting involved in politics, so I've only seen some Trump videos for fun. But that's kinda the problem...

You know how the media basically decides what public opinion is? Well they do. And I think the only reason Trump is still in the race is cause he sells so darn good! As in he makes stupid headlines. He says things,on a regular basis, that could ruin any other politicians career. But the media don't want him gone!
That, and he can afford a campaign and advertising stuff.

That being said, I have no faith what so ever in the majority of people being able to chose intelligently.. .

Also, plz vote like an intelligent human being... For who? I have no idea, just not Trump... He is the living embodiment of every American stereotype the rest of the world hates
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 18 Sep 2015 00:09

Well on another topic, I played through all the Mass Effect games and it was pretty good.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ExoBassTix » 18 Sep 2015 11:56

Today I realized that pressing vinyls in a small run is expensive as all heckie.

FLAOFEI wrote:plz vote like an intelligent human being... For who? I have no idea, just not Trump... He is the living embodiment of every American stereotype the rest of the world hates

This is the only politically-minded statement I'd never not want to repost. This so much.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 18 Sep 2015 15:48

I hate it when someone just kind of phases out of a forum for a while and you don't even notice they're gone.
Like right now I'm sure that someone is phased out right now but idk who.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 18 Sep 2015 18:29

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Well on another topic, I played through all the Mass Effect games and it was pretty good.

How long did that take you?
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 18 Sep 2015 19:35

Acsii wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Well on another topic, I played through all the Mass Effect games and it was pretty good.

About 4 days. I'm on break from uni so I could afford the free time :p

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Sep 2015 04:54

What kinda game is Mass Effect? What's so good about it? Might wanna try it out myself. Maybe.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Sep 2015 06:33

It's basically a space RPG trilogy with actiony shootery stuff. All the choices you make carry over from 1 -> 2 -> 3 so it's kinda like you're playing one really long game. The best part for me though is that it has really good characters and story. It has a few little issues here and there in terms of mechanics and stuff but overall it was really awesome. There's a ton of really intense parts too, they get you really attached to characters so any time you're doing something dangerous you're desperately hoping everyone comes out ok.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 19 Sep 2015 11:52

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:It's basically a space RPG trilogy with actiony shootery stuff. All the choices you make carry over from 1 -> 2 -> 3 so it's kinda like you're playing one really long game. The best part for me though is that it has really good characters and story. It has a few little issues here and there in terms of mechanics and stuff but overall it was really awesome. There's a ton of really intense parts too, they get you really attached to characters so any time you're doing something dangerous you're desperately hoping everyone comes out ok.

What would happen if you started on the third game? How would it choose the "choices you made" from the older games if you never made those choices yet?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 19 Sep 2015 17:20

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
Acsii wrote:

About 4 days. I'm on break from uni so I could afford the free time :p

I'm on break too and have almost gone through a whole f1 season :P
Acsii

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Sep 2015 17:47

*cough*

Also I wanted to take some time and talk about the new schoolyear so far.
I've started at college two weeks ago. Two days a week, four hours each. Two weeks in and already I'm sort-of back at my horrible coping-with-having-homework-to-do that I had two years ago (last time I had actual homework). However confident and excited I might be with the assignments (which I am with the current homework assignment I got for monday; though I've already been absolutely frustrated to hell with one last week), I just can't get myself to work on it, however much I want to. I keep on working on whatever I'm doing at the moment because 'I'm not done there yet', and if I'd even come up with it at that time, that exact lame excuse is keeping me from asking for help from my parents or some online friend to actually get my ass in gear and do it.

So yeah. The year's started, guys.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Sep 2015 18:51

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:It's basically a space RPG trilogy with actiony shootery stuff. All the choices you make carry over from 1 -> 2 -> 3 so it's kinda like you're playing one really long game. The best part for me though is that it has really good characters and story. It has a few little issues here and there in terms of mechanics and stuff but overall it was really awesome. There's a ton of really intense parts too, they get you really attached to characters so any time you're doing something dangerous you're desperately hoping everyone comes out ok.

What would happen if you started on the third game? How would it choose the "choices you made" from the older games if you never made those choices yet?

It'd just have a default set I guess.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 20 Sep 2015 06:35

ExoBassTix wrote:What kinda game is Mass Effect? What's so good about it? Might wanna try it out myself. Maybe.

Scifi RPG
Acsii

Postby Acsii » 20 Sep 2015 06:36

Bronies Are Cool wrote:

yeah it just does a default set, but like the storyline still carries over.
Acsii

Postby ph00tbag » 20 Sep 2015 08:21

ExoBassTix wrote:*cough*

Also I wanted to take some time and talk about the new schoolyear so far.
I've started at college two weeks ago. Two days a week, four hours each. Two weeks in and already I'm sort-of back at my horrible coping-with-having-homework-to-do that I had two years ago (last time I had actual homework). However confident and excited I might be with the assignments (which I am with the current homework assignment I got for monday; though I've already been absolutely frustrated to hell with one last week), I just can't get myself to work on it, however much I want to. I keep on working on whatever I'm doing at the moment because 'I'm not done there yet', and if I'd even come up with it at that time, that exact lame excuse is keeping me from asking for help from my parents or some online friend to actually get my ass in gear and do it.

So yeah. The year's started, guys.

College is a unique experience because of the expectation that all of your motivation be purely internal. The best way to learn that habit is to just start, and do it every day. It's like anything really. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby ExoBassTix » 20 Sep 2015 23:50

I can imagine that most people don't have as much trouble with it as they have been building experience on that their whole lives. It never clicked with me though, which is probably why I'm a ("high-potential") drop-out. My parents and I currently think it's the best idea to look for a 'study-double', someone there to make sure I get in a homework mindset, to actually get me to do what I gotta do. Right now my parents struggle to fill such a role themselves, which is taxing as they're both busy people. But yeah.

Whenever I talk about the drop-out thing with people who aren't drop-outs themselves I sometimes cringe so hard because the single biggest fear to ever take hold in my mind is that I'd lose friends which always sounds silly when I look at it from a distance, yet ...

/vent?
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 21 Sep 2015 01:28

You don't have to worry about judgment from this guy :3

So I just bought a hard copy of the fan fiction "Inner Glory" and I hope it's a good book.
The plot seemed interesting. I just hope that the author executed the writing well. Which, I'm guessing that the author has since this is going to be the third printing. Woo
Also, it's 3:28 in the morning and I've been working for over 8 and a half hours. Yay graveyard.

I think I'm going to fund "them's fighting herds" to get the special edition physical copy. Want.
I actually just really want them to make it come to consoles. :/ especially if they earn enough money to do that.

Having a master sword hanging on my wall is such a great idea. It looks super classy because it's made of metal and it shines all brightly and stuff.
Bronies Are Cool

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion