Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Ofish-all Discussion Thread

Postby Coloriot » 08 Apr 2014 17:18

Alycs wrote:but don't try to bash the Song Dynasty because that'll just be a bad time all around.

How it works is that we have two minutes each to describe our empire, and one minute to refute the other empire, listing their weak points in their overall empire and speech.
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Re: Ofish-all Discussion Thread

Postby azerty » 08 Apr 2014 17:29

Coloriot wrote:(We're no longer discussing fish, plz change it back)

So we're doing this thing in AP World History, where we select a world empire, and we get to debate on why ours is the best. I have the British Empire. Any of you Brits wanna brag on your history? Or maybe talk trash on the Song Dynasty? (I face them in a week).

I'm not a Brit myself but I am a bona fide Anglophile and history buff; here's some tidbits about the empire on which the sun never sets.

• The British Empire was among the first to utilize and emphasize technology for the purpose of expansion and conquest. Isambard Kingdom Brunel's famed SS Great Britain, the record-breaking steamship, enabled British citizens - and troops - to cross oceans extremely quickly and in large numbers. The telegraph also connected the widespread territories of the Empire, facilitating communication and keeping the Empire strung together.
  • Canada, and later Britain, established a national (or, rather, imperial) holiday known as Empire Day, in which the members of the British Empire could celebrate being part of the powerful intercontinental empire that was the envy of the rest of the world. What other empire's colonies ever celebrated being subjugated?
  • The British Empire was the largest in history. Controlling approximately 23% of land area and 20% of world population at its height, it dwarfed the SPQR (4.36% land area), the Spanish Empire (12.3% population), and the measly Southern Song Dynasty (1.41% land area).
  • Britain had arguably the easiest and friendliest letting-go process for its holdings. Most colonies were granted autonomy in a gradual process, with little to no rebellion therein. For example, in Egypt, the Suez Crisis was painlessly resolved by British peacekeeping forces before a full insurrection could break out. The Brits still hold over a dozen overseas territories, none of whom are opposed to foreign rule. The "end of Empire" was reached in one of the most peaceful and diplomatic methods possible, with the conquerors releasing the conquered instead of the latter fighting to escape the former.
Hope this helps! Good luck on the AP exam!
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Re: Ofish-some Discussion Thread

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 08 Apr 2014 21:55

I had a super average day today and made some super Average music using super average sounds and automations and some super average mixing and sound design.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Callenby » 08 Apr 2014 22:26

Captain Ironhelm wrote:Fairly good with my experiences. Basically you retain ownership of your music, but they get their 15% (or whatever) cut on sales made on bandcamp. way better royalties than a service like itunes offers (last I checked they kept about 90%, may be wrong but it's way higher than bandcamp). You're on your own with marketing. However being in the top 10 sellers can give a slight boost in sales.

Stuntddude wrote:
Captain Ironhelm wrote:You're on your own with marketing.

Well that's not entirely true, they do have very good SEO, so they're at least helpful in that respect.

Anyways, my experience with bandcamp is it's fantastic. I know a lot of people who use bandcamp and I've never heard of anyone having any issues, legal or otherwise. They take a small cut of profit and they allow people to pay more than the minimum (which makes a distinct difference - bandcamp stats show people paying ~50% more than the minimum, on average). It's relatively straightforward to use, you retain prety much all rights to your music, and perhaps my favorite thing of all is they do all your encoding and metadata for you. It is extremely good as a musician, so much so that I've had a better experience with it as a musician than as a customer.

Just because I want to make absolutely sure, I can assume that retaining ownership means that they don't care if you upload your music to other sites (and even make it downloadable)? That's one of my main concerns.

Probably a noob question, but then again I am new to selling things online.

My idea is to set up a page for pay-what-you-want, where people can contribute some money if they feel it's worth it but aren't obligated to.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Acsii » 09 Apr 2014 03:44

Hey guys look who's back :3
So to the guitarists on here are you guys nodders too?
I'm a strat nodder mainly because I know a place to get really cheap starts that I can mod :3 My next one will be a multi switch one with a varitone
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 09 Apr 2014 04:52

So I had my second music theory exam today. The exam itself was nothing spectacularly hard, but damn I feel stupid for holding off on actually learning theory. Since I started at uni I've gotten like 3x better at writing melodies and chord progressions.

Also getting lunch in this city when you only have a debit card on you is annoying as hell. Like 6/10 places have a $10 minimum and the rest are either terrible food or cash only. Still, got a decent cappicino out of the whole venture.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 09 Apr 2014 06:52

Callenby wrote:Just because I want to make absolutely sure, I can assume that retaining ownership means that they don't care if you upload your music to other sites (and even make it downloadable)? That's one of my main concerns.

yes you can do whatever you want with your music. (assuming you do not sign exclusivity to somebody else.)
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 09 Apr 2014 07:48

^ I'd recommend reading up on copyright when it comes to signing anything. There's a lot of potential to get really screwed over if you don't know exactly what you're signing. The Beetles didn't own a lot of their songs because they didn't know the contract signed the rights over, for example.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ph00tbag » 09 Apr 2014 11:03

Callenby wrote:My idea is to set up a page for pay-what-you-want, where people can contribute some money if they feel it's worth it but aren't obligated to.

This is what I use Bandcamp for, and I'd say it's pretty good for that. Soundcloud may do that, too, and I don't know if it does it better, but I'm really satisfied with Bandcamp's system. I'm thinking, however, of setting up some kind of tip jar thing (probably through PayPal) so people can just donate directly, and not have to choose between a buck a tune or free (which is basically what Bandcamp offers), and just give me what they feel I deserve, when they feel I deserve it.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Callenby » 09 Apr 2014 14:25

Fret not. I haven't signed any contracts, nor do I have any plans to.

ph00tbag wrote:
Callenby wrote:My idea is to set up a page for pay-what-you-want, where people can contribute some money if they feel it's worth it but aren't obligated to.

This is what I use Bandcamp for, and I'd say it's pretty good for that. Soundcloud may do that, too, and I don't know if it does it better, but I'm really satisfied with Bandcamp's system. I'm thinking, however, of setting up some kind of tip jar thing (probably through PayPal) so people can just donate directly, and not have to choose between a buck a tune or free (which is basically what Bandcamp offers), and just give me what they feel I deserve, when they feel I deserve it.

Now there's an idea. I might want to do that instead. I'll have to think about it.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Stuntddude » 09 Apr 2014 16:55

ph00tbag wrote:so people can just donate directly, and not have to choose between a buck a tune or free (which is basically what Bandcamp offers)

Huh? Could you elaborate on that? Because as far as I know that's not what bandcamp does at all...
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby LFP » 09 Apr 2014 17:15

Today is bloo's birthday, when she makes her yearly visit hopefully she'll see this ^^
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOO
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby JSynth » 09 Apr 2014 18:57

I feel extremely awkward wishing people happy birthday. Like, I feel like I should do it, cause I guess people like it, bu I also feel kind of hypocritical.(Not sure if that's the right word to use here.)
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 09 Apr 2014 23:23

I have been working on a song over the last few days and I am actually spending time on this one. Usually I spend just an hour or so on a song to just get something out and call it good. But this time I am trying to pull out all the stops I can muster to create something cool.
It's a house song with the build of a dubstep or DnB song. Weird right. So right now in my WIP, I mostly new to work on the build up after the fall and then I need to master the track some more. Today, I spent most d my time structuring my song. Yesterday, I built the pieces tote song and Monday was when I was constructing segments of the song. Anyway, I am excited to be making this. :D I can't wait to show everyone the things I have learned in the less-than-a-year that I've been making music.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Ricky Denzel » 09 Apr 2014 23:58

Bronies Are Cool wrote:I have been working on a song over the last few days and I am actually spending time on this one. Usually I spend just an hour or so on a song to just get something out and call it good. But this time I am trying to pull out all the stops I can muster to create something cool.
It's a house song with the build of a dubstep or DnB song. Weird right. So right now in my WIP, I mostly new to work on the build up after the fall and then I need to master the track some more. Today, I spent most d my time structuring my song. Yesterday, I built the pieces tote song and Monday was when I was constructing segments of the song. Anyway, I am excited to be making this. :D I can't wait to show everyone the things I have learned in the less-than-a-year that I've been making music.

On a serious note: How could you juggle all that?
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 10 Apr 2014 00:30

Turns out this dude I've known over soundcloud for about 2 years goes to my uni. We were walking along on a coffee run and we started talking production and when I asked for his soundcloud we both had this massive 'HOLY SHIT" moment.

It was pretty neat

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby simonli2575 » 10 Apr 2014 02:45

Bronies Are Cool wrote:It's a house song with the build of a dubstep or DnB song.

Electro House?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby ExoBassTix » 10 Apr 2014 04:40

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Turns out this dude I've known over soundcloud for about 2 years goes to my uni. We were walking along on a coffee run and we started talking production and when I asked for his soundcloud we both had this massive 'HOLY SHIT" moment.

It was pretty neat

Haha neat, those are the best xD
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby S.P.P » 10 Apr 2014 07:19

Bronies Are Cool wrote:I mostly new to work on the build up after the fall and then I need to master the track some more.

Mix*

Mastering is totally different. :3
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Ricky Denzel » 10 Apr 2014 09:25

I bet you in my two years on here, this year my post count will go to 666. It will be doomsday!
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Twy » 10 Apr 2014 10:15

JSynth wrote:I feel extremely awkward wishing people happy birthday. Like, I feel like I should do it, cause I guess people like it, bu I also feel kind of hypocritical.(Not sure if that's the right word to use here.)

...Do you dislike people wishing you a happy birthday, too?

I know what you mean. It can feel weird in some ways, but in general people definitely do appreciate it, so it's always good to do I think... even if it often feels lame and obligatory.

...Happy Birthday user on this site named Bloo I guess!? I don't know you but you're probably cool. Have a nice birthday.
Twy

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 10 Apr 2014 18:15

Replying to:

Ricky: it's pretty easy to juggle it all. It just takes time.

Simon: I don't think it's electro house. Maybe though. It has a more house mood to it, but as far as pieces go, it's like DnB/dubstep. Like, it has the intro, transition into the part that is before the build, the big chunk ofeat of the song, a low part, a carry to the next big chunk of. Meat, and then an outro. (I don't now all the actual terms for this stuff.

Pyre: yes. I did mean mixing. Btw, what is mastering?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 10 Apr 2014 18:48

Basically just the final steps taken to polish a song off. You render the full thing and apply effects to the whole song (which is why it's called mastering). It usually involves compression to reach a certain volume for most mastering sessions, but it also extends to EQ work, subtle room reverbs, and generally just adding some final polish before release. Since it's actually a very small step in the whole process, be aware that you should put more point on mixing and composing the song well, otherwise mastering wouldn't really add much to help the overall sound.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Viricide Filly » 10 Apr 2014 18:57

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Simon: I don't think it's electro house. Maybe though. It has a more house mood to it, but as far as pieces go, it's like DnB/dubstep. Like, it has the intro, transition into the part that is before the build, the big chunk ofeat of the song, a low part, a carry to the next big chunk of. Meat, and then an outro. (I don't now all the actual terms for this stuff.

Okay but if it's in 128 then it's electro house or some other form of house so I dunno what you're on about lol
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby JSynth » 10 Apr 2014 21:58

> Be me
> Builds own synth in reaktor
> Uses custom samples to give unique sounds
> Creates good lead
> Is able to rebuild the lead exactly in massive
> Gets killed by Aviators for making bad puns.

So... can massive do any FM sounds?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion