Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Discussion thread (for discordshins)

Postby Ricky Denzel » 12 Dec 2014 20:38

Because they love being late for things
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Facade » 12 Dec 2014 20:48

every time... ._.
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 12 Dec 2014 20:50

Jokeblue wrote:That actually sound super interesting and cool, and maybe if I ever see my Uni do an equivalent thing, I'll deffs give it a suss.

Speaking from my experience, it's not hard math but it's a lot of math.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 12 Dec 2014 22:51

ExoBassTix wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:So my order of the book Past Sins finally came in the mail. :3 yay

Past Sins has a book? Hah, nice.
Happy birthday by the way!

I really hope I'll have enough money to afford a set of hardcover book of Fallout: Equestria. Preferably Project Horizons.

Yes. It does have a book. I got the second edition printing. The first edition included side stories. This one only has the book.
When I read it the first time through, I read the original version, pre-season 2 version.
This one is post season 2 version so I'm sure that shining armor and discord will have some role in this book seeing that they had roles in Winter Bells.
This book is pretty big.
It's quite lovely. :3

Also, thanks about the birthday. You are officially the first person to say that to me. And also the only person to say that to me.
But that's also because it's December 12th right now in my time zone.
But I'll be officially 19 in about 2 hours and 9 minutes.

I did not know that fallout equestrian had a hard copy version.
If I were to begin reading it, which one was the first? And in what order should they be read?
(How many of them are there?)
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby ph00tbag » 13 Dec 2014 10:28

FLAOFEI wrote:I was hoping the cource had a slightly more descriptive name so I couldn maybe look for an equivalent cource in my college (I think it's college... or university... or maybe those two are the same). There are a few music related classes, and a lot of audio related classes, music technology, musical acoustics, speach music and hearing, and a few more. I'm guessing musical technology is the closest. I'll likley take both that one and music acoustics though, cause fun. I've got another year or two left till I can chose them thouh. For now I'm buissy enough with my math...

I would say it's probably Muiscal Acoustics, seeing as Acoustics is the actual term for the branch of Physics relating to properties of sound.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ExoBassTix » 13 Dec 2014 12:33

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:I did not know that fallout equestrian had a hard copy version.
If I were to begin reading it, which one was the first? And in what order should they be read?

Well, Fallout: Equestria is a stand-alone story, it's just that a lot of people made their own sequels or derivatives off of it (meaning it's prolly best to start at the original). Aka. there's just one. Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizons is probably the most well-known 'sequel', and in my opinion it deserves to be because hooooooly moley it's good. I identify really closely to the main character, Blackjack. And really, I spent 5 months to get at chapter 71, the current last finished chapter. I'm waiting for the next one but I have no patience .n.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 13 Dec 2014 13:31

ExoBassTix wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:I did not know that fallout equestrian had a hard copy version.

Well, Fallout: Equestria is a stand-alone story, it's just that a lot of people made their own sequels or derivatives off of it (meaning it's prolly best to start at the original). Aka. there's just one. Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizons is probably the most well-known 'sequel', and in my opinion it deserves to be because hooooooly moley it's good. I identify really closely to the main character, Blackjack. And really, I spent 5 months to get at chapter 71, the current last finished chapter. I'm waiting for the next one but I have no patience .n.

How long is each chapter?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ExoBassTix » 13 Dec 2014 18:35

Long.

I mean, the total of Project Horizons so far might just be nearing 1.5M words. At least 1.2M.
Alycs got through that in 2 weeks. Just no .n.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Fl Brony » 13 Dec 2014 21:11

BAC if you gonna do this man be ready to have your heart ripped out of your asshole
I crei evry teim I thnk abt it
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Jokeblue » 14 Dec 2014 18:04

holy shit this is happening right now

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/2577250 ... ce/?cmp=fb
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Dec 2014 21:24

Jokeblue wrote:holy shit this is happening right now

That's a scary situation!

How close to you people in Australia is this?
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ph00tbag » 14 Dec 2014 22:56

I read about that earlier today. If any of you Aussies are in the Sydney area, please be safe.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby FLAOFEI » 15 Dec 2014 02:19

It's not letting me watch the video cause geography D: Can someone tell me what that's about? There's a hostage situation in Sydney, but what is it about? Is it a robbery? Is it terrorism? Are they making threats? Is stuff going on in Melbourne too?
There seemes to be no media coverage of it in Sweden, so can someone give me an update here?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 15 Dec 2014 02:22

Bronies Are Cool wrote:

I dunno about Jokeblue, but me and Abby both live at least 800 kilometers (500 miles) from this.
Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth on 15 Dec 2014 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 15 Dec 2014 03:25

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:

I dunno about Jokeblue, but me and Abby both live at least 800 milometers (500 miles) from this.

Well I'm closer than biggles, and bluey is in NSW and I think he mentioned once he's in the burbs of syd, but yeah it's pretty scary.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Jokeblue » 15 Dec 2014 03:54

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:

I dunno about Jokeblue, but me and Abby both live at least 800 milometers (500 miles) from this.

I live an hours drive from Sydney, though my Dad works in Sydney and we do have family/friends round there. I think Evdog lives in Sydney too, so he's probably the closest atm. That being said, proximity doesn't really seem to be the main issue with this at the moment. It's thought to be a small group acting on their own without orders from any main terrorist cell, though they did force hostages to the window to hold up a flag that read "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger" which has been associated with a certain terrorist cell in Syria who have links to Al-Queda. Despite that, I think the police/Australian equivalent of Swat/the people doing the stuff at the thing have recognized the groups actions thus far as amateurish, so they're treating it as a 'lone-wolf' situation. The (i think from what i've seen on the news - I've been following this all day pretty much) two men who have taken the hostages are armed, with again what i've heard to be a pump action shotgun and/or rifle, with possibly more - as the alert was raised when one woman ran from the venue screaming about guns in their bag.

The fact that they have a bag in the first place is bad news. There could be anything in there, and of course the police forces have had to prepare for the worst and are treating it as a potential bomb which is leading to quite the delicate situation. There are reportedly around 15 hostages, but that amount has been varying throughout the day (reaching a potential 50 at one point), though thankfully 5 have either escaped or been set free - we don't know.

The ringleader, early in the day made several demands, only two of which have been made public. One he requested delivery of an Islamic State flag. If he receives this he lets some hostages go. And Two, he requested a live radio feed to Tony Abbott and wishes to talk directly to him. If he receives this he'll let 5 people go. Some people have been skeptical as to why, if they're supposedly a small, lone terrorist group, haven't they just blown the place up? As kind of implied by the request of talking to Tony Abbott, this is a politically motivated act. And the location of the place is significant too. It's in a Lindt (a brand of chocolate) cafe, opposite the Channel 7 news room, as well as down the road from a bank, not too far from the American embassy I heard, and many other locales of similar importance. But, main fact is it's right opposite the news station. So it's a politically motivated act with an aim of publicity.

Police are still seeking a peaceful resolution and are treating the situation very delicately. They also, very rightly, refuse to give much information to the public as to avoid the gunmen being potentially tipped off over the media. All we have is bits and pieces of what public information has been available that we've been able to gather throughout the day. They also refuse to state this is a confirmed terrorist attack. The main way that they are treating it is by saying that "there is a major crime taking place". Though there are so many police and they look so heavily armed and they are really well prepared. We still don't know this guys motives. We still don't know so much of whats happening. One expert thinks that because the ringleader has no facial coverings and does not seem to be trying to get away (as well as other reasons), that there is potential of this not ending well, and you can take a wild guess at what I could mean by that.

I think there are two ways this can end, and both will have quite the impact on Australia.

Ending 1 - Bad End - A large public tragedy has struck, and Australia is now aware of how susceptible it is to attack and terror. Suddenly we are no longer so safe. Suddenly other groups with similar agendas may start to test what they can do and what they can get away with based off of this. Potential for attack rises through it's success.

Ending 2 - Better End - Police forces successfully and peacefully resolve the situation with few or minor casualties. We have been attacked, but our leaders and police have proven that they can handle the situation and defend us. We still realize that we don't live in safety, we're as vulnerable as anywhere. But if the authorities have proven they can deal with a hostage situation, chance of similar situations happening doesn't rise as much.

Regardless of either one of those outcomes, Australia will most likely come away from this with a much larger realization that this is real and this can happen.

As to the religious aspect of it though (I forgot to cover this I think), it has been confirmed that this as an extremist Muslim attack. Australia's most senior Muslim cleric, the Grand Mufti, has of course condemned the actions of these people and their attack. My friend posted a status to facebook about the to be expected attacks on the muslim community and religion in retaliation of this, and I fully support what he says - "Today marks another day that we as a race have not fully woken up to ourselves... I have absolutely no respect for violent or arrogant religious fanaticism. At the same time, however, I don't think it is constructive to say stuff like 'fuck religion' in times like these; let alone at all. This strain of blatant, unnecessary hatred does not need to fuel more of the same thing.
People can believe whatever they want, and I don't think that it is the differing opinions on the nature of one's own existence that are to blame for violence occurring in the world. It's evident that a false sense of supremacism and fierce intolerance fuels this kind of ignorant action; and these actions are clearly not respectful toward one's fellow man. A lot of beliefs promote peace, and if you want some respect, it's probably a good idea to show some respect."

Sorry for the massively long post, but this is a big event that's pretty deserving of a long post. While a lot is still unconfirmed and we don't have official police statements on a lot of things with not a lot of public info, I felt the need to try and organize and share what's been going on to fill you all in so you don't just see my link and go "oh no" and then move on. This is most certainly quite a massive wake up call for a large amount of people within the country.

Police think that this situation may last a few more days, and could really drag out for a while. My prayers go to a peaceful resolution to all this, the safety of the hostages, and the wisdom of the authorities.

Jokeblue

Postby Acsii » 15 Dec 2014 04:13

Jokeblue wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:That's a scary situation!

I live an hours drive from Sydney, though my Dad works in Sydney and we do have family/friends round there. I think Evdog lives in Sydney too, so he's probably the closest atm. That being said, proximity doesn't really seem to be the main issue with this at the moment. It's thought to be a small group acting on their own without orders from any main terrorist cell, though they did force hostages to the window to hold up a flag that read "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger" which has been associated with a certain terrorist cell in Syria who have links to Al-Queda. Despite that, I think the police/Australian equivalent of Swat/the people doing the stuff at the thing have recognized the groups actions thus far as amateurish, so they're treating it as a 'lone-wolf' situation. The (i think from what i've seen on the news - I've been following this all day pretty much) two men who have taken the hostages are armed, with again what i've heard to be a pump action shotgun and/or rifle, with possibly more - as the alert was raised when one woman ran from the venue screaming about guns in their bag.

The fact that they have a bag in the first place is bad news. There could be anything in there, and of course the police forces have had to prepare for the worst and are treating it as a potential bomb which is leading to quite the delicate situation. There are reportedly around 15 hostages, but that amount has been varying throughout the day (reaching a potential 50 at one point), though thankfully 5 have either escaped or been set free - we don't know.

The ringleader, early in the day made several demands, only two of which have been made public. One he requested delivery of an Islamic State flag. If he receives this he lets some hostages go. And Two, he requested a live radio feed to Tony Abbott and wishes to talk directly to him. If he receives this he'll let 5 people go. Some people have been skeptical as to why, if they're supposedly a small, lone terrorist group, haven't they just blown the place up? As kind of implied by the request of talking to Tony Abbott, this is a politically motivated act. And the location of the place is significant too. It's in a Lindt (a brand of chocolate) cafe, opposite the Channel 7 news room, as well as down the road from a bank, not too far from the American embassy I heard, and many other locales of similar importance. But, main fact is it's right opposite the news station. So it's a politically motivated act with an aim of publicity.

Police are still seeking a peaceful resolution and are treating the situation very delicately. They also, very rightly, refuse to give much information to the public as to avoid the gunmen being potentially tipped off over the media. All we have is bits and pieces of what public information has been available that we've been able to gather throughout the day. They also refuse to state this is a confirmed terrorist attack. The main way that they are treating it is by saying that "there is a major crime taking place". Though there are so many police and they look so heavily armed and they are really well prepared. We still don't know this guys motives. We still don't know so much of whats happening. One expert thinks that because the ringleader has no facial coverings and does not seem to be trying to get away (as well as other reasons), that there is potential of this not ending well, and you can take a wild guess at what I could mean by that.

I think there are two ways this can end, and both will have quite the impact on Australia.

Ending 1 - Bad End - A large public tragedy has struck, and Australia is now aware of how susceptible it is to attack and terror. Suddenly we are no longer so safe. Suddenly other groups with similar agendas may start to test what they can do and what they can get away with based off of this. Potential for attack rises through it's success.

Ending 2 - Better End - Police forces successfully and peacefully resolve the situation with few or minor casualties. We have been attacked, but our leaders and police have proven that they can handle the situation and defend us. We still realize that we don't live in safety, we're as vulnerable as anywhere. But if the authorities have proven they can deal with a hostage situation, chance of similar situations happening doesn't rise as much.

Regardless of either one of those outcomes, Australia will most likely come away from this with a much larger realization that this is real and this can happen.

As to the religious aspect of it though (I forgot to cover this I think), it has been confirmed that this as an extremist Muslim attack. Australia's most senior Muslim cleric, the Grand Mufti, has of course condemned the actions of these people and their attack. My friend posted a status to facebook about the to be expected attacks on the muslim community and religion in retaliation of this, and I fully support what he says - "Today marks another day that we as a race have not fully woken up to ourselves... I have absolutely no respect for violent or arrogant religious fanaticism. At the same time, however, I don't think it is constructive to say stuff like 'fuck religion' in times like these; let alone at all. This strain of blatant, unnecessary hatred does not need to fuel more of the same thing.
People can believe whatever they want, and I don't think that it is the differing opinions on the nature of one's own existence that are to blame for violence occurring in the world. It's evident that a false sense of supremacism and fierce intolerance fuels this kind of ignorant action; and these actions are clearly not respectful toward one's fellow man. A lot of beliefs promote peace, and if you want some respect, it's probably a good idea to show some respect."

Sorry for the massively long post, but this is a big event that's pretty deserving of a long post. While a lot is still unconfirmed and we don't have official police statements on a lot of things with not a lot of public info, I felt the need to try and organize and share what's been going on to fill you all in so you don't just see my link and go "oh no" and then move on. This is most certainly quite a massive wake up call for a large amount of people within the country.

Police think that this situation may last a few more days, and could really drag out for a while. My prayers go to a peaceful resolution to all this, the safety of the hostages, and the wisdom of the authorities.

The thing I'm most worried about are the anti-islam people who will now get even worse in their discrimination, Someone I know on Facebook already posted this:

"Take your Islamic religion
Go back to your perilous, fucked up countries
And die in a predator strike"

I'm glad to see the #illridewithyou tag which shows that there are humane people out there, but it seems there aren't enough. I'm also sad that it takes a dark time like this for people to show their humanity. Such is life. I hope we can pull through this together and in the meantime nobody does something stupid.

Also Evdog lives in Melbourne. In fact he's like 30 mins from me.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Jokeblue » 15 Dec 2014 04:49

Acsii wrote:Also Evdog lives in Melbourne. In fact he's like 30 mins from me.

Oh, really? I don't know where I got Sydney then haha

Jokeblue

Postby Ricky Denzel » 15 Dec 2014 06:34

I hate it when this forum gets serious. Let's smile for once, please. You guys depress me.
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 15 Dec 2014 06:44

No, 3 of us are in a country where extremists are holding 20+ people hostage, we're probably gonna wanna talk about that.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Ricky Denzel » 15 Dec 2014 06:46

Well, I'm out. Not to be a dick, but I can't stand all this seriousness when I'm in my hype zone. Call me when the convo is over.
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Postby Acsii » 15 Dec 2014 06:58

Ricky Denzel wrote:Well, I'm out. Not to be a dick, but I can't stand all this seriousness when I'm in my hype zone. Call me when the convo is over.

not to be a dick? are you serious... you can't just run away from problems like this, because for us everything just hit home.
Acsii

Postby Jokeblue » 15 Dec 2014 07:25

Ricky Denzel wrote:I hate it when this forum gets serious. Let's smile for once, please. You guys depress me.

Dude 55% of my goddamn posts are in the games sub forum. So say it again.

Ricky Denzel wrote:Well, I'm out. Not to be a dick, but I can't stand all this seriousness when I'm in my hype zone. Call me when the convo is over.

Yeah, reeeaaallly glad that you bothered to tell us. and "not to be a dick"? Right. Ok. Picture what you said there this way - as a short play, slightly embellished for emphatic reasons

*ahem*

(Enter Ricky stage right)

Ricky: "Hiya guys howya doing lets party!"

Jokeblue: "Oh, hey... yeah not doing too well, my brother was just hit by a car-"

Ricky: "Gee whatever you're such a bummer. You're bumming me out. I almost don't want to party anymore and you made me feel sad. So fuck you i'ma gonna fuck off, call me back when you've stopped being a such a wimpy downer and aren't harshing my buzz so I can party."

(Exit Ricky stage right)

Seriously though, if you hate it when things get serious then you can just shut your yap and go about your business as per usual instead of going out of your way to break in and say "Man, you guys talking about a very real and quite delicate terrorist hostage situation taking place right now on your home soil is so depressing jeez why don't you just smile about it and stop being such downers."

Not everything is fun and games and you have to accept that. Sometimes things have to get serious. Don't be such a child about it.
Last edited by Jokeblue on 15 Dec 2014 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jokeblue

Postby eery » 15 Dec 2014 07:26

Yeah for real, if you dont wanna talk about it, then dont talk about it,please just stay out of it, Ricky. not to like beat a dead horse, but its really uneccecary.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby Stuntddude » 15 Dec 2014 07:38

Friendly reminder to everyone on this forum: you're not allowed to talk about important current world events if they don't directly concern me. Nobody really cares about Australia or terrorism anyway. Not to be a dick, I mean.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion